The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey forum!

So last year I started looking into some cool bridles and such for my little mare who's stop crazy with a pretty soft mouth to match. I ended up coming across an Indian bridle called an "oliga". It's purpose was to stay in when you're on the horse, but fall out if you come off (the indians wanted their horses to be able to get the bridles of if they fell off their backs).

They are made with a medium thick string. It must be thicker than baling twine and thinner than a lead rope. Think of what you would want in your mouth. Put the middle of the string in the horses mouth like a bit, then tie it in a knot under the horses chin, about two fingers space, just tight enough to stay, but loose enough to come off as well. Tada!

My only warning is not to use this on horses that have a hard mouth! Unless your horse already has a great stop you will end up rubbing the sides of their mouths raw pulling back! I would never use this for schooling, just to show off sometimes;)

Ok, some photos:) It's on her in all of them, it's just somewhat hard to see.

Horse Mane Bridle Snout Mare

Horse Snout Nose Terrestrial animal Mane

Horse Bank Water resources Working animal Pond

Nature Pond Water Bank Nature reserve

Mammal Woodland Horse Trail riding Nature reserve

Horse Water resources Bank Nature reserve Natural landscape

Thanks for looking:)

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
In the early history of using horses, this was a means to hold the horse when dismounted. The Indians were highly skilled riders and rode with their seat and legs and kept their hands free to do whatever. The thong was never used for steering or stopping. It was likely made of sinew. It is a loop that's just tight enough to not fall out of the horse's mouth yet loose enough so it can move it's tongue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I can, and Saddlebag, you know about these? Very cool, I didn't find a ton of information online but I really love using mine on her:) Get's her a lot of compliments and I think she is more comfortable in it. She stops bridleless, so the only pulling I have to do is when she tries to snatch grass on trail rides xD Chubby pony haha and yeah, I can take more pictures, but just warning she is pretty fluffy right now lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
From what I understand, you should never ride anything but a fully finished horse in these - by that I mean you don't even have to touch the reins to ride effectively.

It can be very damaging otherwise.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I used to work for an historical library and museum that had a fine collection of native artifacts and their uses, plus loads of reading material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.