The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even if the vet said they’re good — because that might not be the total truth:|

There are a lot of vets in my county and the neighboring county — all animal, small animal, equine.

Try finding one with a portable x-ray, and can also remove 20 pounds of tartar (not really but it looked like it) off a horse’s canines —- that another vet said were ok six months ago and I never checked because I don’t ride anymore (no bits going in the mouth).

It ended up a sports medicine/lameness vet came highly recommended by another vet I have used in the past but is too far away to make a farm call.

Here’s what he popped of Joker’s lower canines in less than five minutes.

One piece is upside down, the other right side up. That is a massive amount of tartar, especially when my horses don’t eat anything but pasture, hay, and Timothy pellets as a carrier for their supplements.
0AFDF38A-E255-4015-9D7D-D75F95930A73.jpg

Onery Rusty had to have a tiny bit of happy juice because he was. It about holding his head still. I really wanted to light him up for that but he knew I wouldn’t with the vet standing there. So the vet juiced him up instead :cool:

He didn’t have near as much tartar build up and it came off in pieces.

I thought I’d post this as a reminder to folks to be mindful of the tartar buildup on the horses teeth, especially if you ride bitless and it’s less of a thought when the mouth isn’t being opened to put a bit in it:)

The hoof x-rays were a good thing and a not so good thing. I didn’t see anything I didn’t already suspect and the x-rays confirmed.

The best part is this vet is very impressed with my therapeutic farrier’s management of Joker’s hooves—- and he said I did a good job trimming the back hooves yesterday, even if I couldn’t seek what I was doing, lol.

I did I that because my farrier is really sick and I’m trying to stay ahead, I case she can’t get out here on the 29th. The vet also said he has a farrier in his hip pocket that will come and re-set Joker until my farrier can get back working, so that’s a good bit of news and I can breath again, lol

Anyway, check those teeth!:cool::cool:

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked about brushing their teeth with baking soda. He said, I could try if my horses will put up with it.

I know Joker will be good —— Let’s see how Rusty likes THAT, lollol

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Jeez O' Pete, I've never seen anything like that. Even old farts like me can be surprised at something new every once in a while. Was the tartar buildup only on their canines?

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
I always check my horses' mouth for any abnormalities and mouth ulcers, but I have never seen anything like that!

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeez O' Pete, I've never seen anything like that. Even old farts like me can be surprised at something new every once in a while. Was the tartar buildup only on their canines?
To that degree yes - only on the lower canines.

Their teeth could stand a good cleaning but the lower canines were the absolute worst.

I really am going to try cleaning them with baking soda —- if I go silent, it’s probably because onery Rusty tossed me over the rail while I was holding his head down with one hand:falloff::falloff::rofl::rofl:

I am stymied how they can get this bad, when they don’t eat grains of any sort and they don’t even eat ration balancers and haven’t for years:|

There is an equine dentist who lives at the end of my road but she only uses power tools, which means tranq’ng both horses. That’s not happening due to their age, and health issues, so I’m on my own.

If anyone has successfully cleaned their horses teeth, I am all ears:smile::smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts