The Horse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to write a Chemistry essay on something, and of course I chose equines! It can be anything chemistry related, but it has to just be chemistry, no biology! I have already done one on Cushing's disease, so unfortunately that's out of the option. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Reactions: BethR

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It's kinda still Bio, but maybe something on getting horse poo to compost. From a Chem-Thermodynamics viewpoint?
It's a problem needing a solution . . .
I saw an interesting article in one of the Tech magazines recently concerning converting biomass, in the shape of livestock manure, into energy. Something like that might work for you as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
What about how clover makes horses salivate, would that be chemistry?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's kinda still Bio, but maybe something on getting horse poo to compost. From a Chem-Thermodynamics viewpoint?
It's a problem needing a solution . . .
I saw an interesting article in one of the Tech magazines recently concerning converting biomass, in the shape of livestock manure, into energy. Something like that might work for you as well.
Ooh that sounds interesting! Unfortunately I think that would be leaning a bit too much on the bio side of things. Thank you though!

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
All you need are air (turning apparatus) and water (watering apparatus) to get horse manure to compost. Amounts and input intervals depend on composition. Space and equipment cost are usually the limiting factors to composting if manure volume is high. You can always go the biomass boiler or gasifier route. Costs have come down significantly but you would need to look at your manure source as bedding material can negatively impact either of those. Volume can also be an issue the more you have the more sense it makes. Caveat with these two are what do you do with your energy (heat)? If you don't need it then it isn't effective. Unlike solar where power companies may purchase excess or credit use I'm not aware of any that purchase energy from biomass systems. A gasifier - you could generate electricity that could be used on site or sold. Not to say there aren't any at this point in time there weren't though when I was composting large scale.

Wouldn't be hard to determine the chemistry involved and turn it into a paper.

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
What about how clover makes horses salivate, would that be chemistry?
I think that would be more biology as it is a component of the fungus (slaframine) that can inhabit clovers that stimulates the salivary glands though you could argue chemistry if you broke it down and figured out why that compound causes excess salivation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All you need are air (turning apparatus) and water (watering apparatus) to get horse manure to compost. Amounts and input intervals depend on composition. Space and equipment cost are usually the limiting factors to composting if manure volume is high. You can always go the biomass boiler or gasifier route. Costs have come down significantly but you would need to look at your manure source as bedding material can negatively impact either of those. Volume can also be an issue the more you have the more sense it makes. Caveat with these two are what do you do with your energy (heat)? If you don't need it then it isn't effective. Unlike solar where power companies may purchase excess or credit use I'm not aware of any that purchase energy from biomass systems. A gasifier - you could generate electricity that could be used on site or sold. Not to say there aren't any at this point in time there weren't though when I was composting large scale.

Wouldn't be hard to determine the chemistry involved and turn it into a paper.
Hey! Thank you so much! Unfortunately it has to br solely chem based, and I think that leans to much on the bio side. Thank you though!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
What if you did the chemical changes of the brain in response to stereotypical behavior? I don’t know if that would count or if enough or even any studies have been done.

Everything seems to fall into a biological category I can think of. Studying vaccines… bloodwork changes, isn’t that all biological in nature?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, chemistry is the basis of everything essentially, so it is all chemistry. Everything is built up of atoms and contains different elements and molecules that react. Biological chemistry is a field within chemistry = the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms. I am sure your teacher is not asking just for a specific area of chemistry but to find the chemistry within anything you are interested in. When you study chemistry, it is not just all the stereotyped reactions in a laboratory, but it is divided into different areas. At university level we did the five major common sub-areas of biological chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and analytical chemistry. For my PhD, I focused on forensic chemistry. For my work, I now focus on environmental chemistry. There are a multitude of other areas, for example, agricultural chemistry, process engineering chemistry, soil chemistry, chemistry specific to the water cycle or the ocean.

So you could just pick any thing that you are interested in about horses and find the area of chemistry that fits in.

What makes for a good paper is not getting ideas from strangers on the internet, it is finding something that has personal meaning to you and then you can connect to it and write a good story.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What if you did the chemical changes of the brain in response to stereotypical behavior? I don’t know if that would count or if enough or even any studies have been done.

Everything seems to fall into a biological category I can think of. Studying vaccines… bloodwork changes, isn’t that all biological in nature?
Yeah I think so, but I'll definitely look into it! Thank you!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Continuing on the idea about horse poop from @QtrBel, I did a quick search of Google Scholar (the research literature version of Google) and it has been developed into an adsorbent to remediate polluted water. So there you go, chemistry in everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts