The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Does the horse have a shelter? He looks like he has a decent coat and 35-40 isn't all that cold if the humidity is low.
I would not blanket as vet advised. You risk irritating the open wound on the abcess and after he wears the blanket while he was draining you wont want to use it again anyhow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will have a shelter, thank you so much for your info. Im pretty freaked out about this, the more I read, lol. I just got the text from vet late last night and will follow up with vet this AM

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I know, it is not fun. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it!

Several years ago every horse I owned got Pigeon Fever and one of them had the internal abcesses. Another took months to get over it.

My advise is to keep everything as clean as you can. Every night when I would doctor them I wore latex gloves and used a bucket with plastic liner to drain the pus and flush the abcess into then disposed of the liner and gloves. I tried to keep the ground free of the pus and bacteria. If you have multiple horses, don't share tack, blankets, brushes, buckets. After my horses were healed I disposed of the halter and buckets. Wash your hands before touching your other horses. If you can seperate your uninfected horses and use fly spray if you still have flies out.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Glad you were able to get an answer about what's going on. No experience with this but hope he heals up quickly.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Looks like he has a winter coat. Don't blanket. Give him a little extra grass hay at night. That should help.

A blanket flattens the coat and reduces the horse's natural ability to keep warm. Most saddle horses, and/or pasture pets, do just fine with the coat God gives them.
If a horse is clipped or wet and shivering, then that's another issue.

Hope he recovers quickly for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.