The Horse Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Rain. A lot of it. Nothing that caused any damage around here, but a lot of rain. I went to dinner last night with a friend (and parked my truck like an idiot...it was glorious) and when we left the palm trees were whipping around and it started to rain again. Isolated gusts of wind though, nothing constant. But the interstate was dark on the way home. It really poured this morning and class was cancelled.

I do want to tell a thing that happened I while ago that I didn't think to write down. It's not about a horse but it still goes to show what an animal will for you when they trust you. I was thinking about this while scheduling my dog for a dental and worrying about dropping her off by herself because I know how terrified she'll be. She is slow to trust people, but we've had a bond ever since I (literally) picked her up as a stray and fed her on the back porch. I remember that day like it was yesterday. But that's not the story.

A couple weeks ago I decided to cut the boys some beef livers to use as catfish bait. We went fishing, caught nothing, swam in the pond a little, then came back up to the house. The freezer had defrosted in the little room under the stairs on the pool deck so some chaos ensued there. An hour or so later I went to check on the freezer and my dog was on the pool deck with her collar stuck in her mouth. She was pawing at her face and panicking, but she wagged her tail at me when I came over to free her. It wasn't till then that I saw she was dragging a fishing pole behind her and the hook was in her mouth. One of my brothers had left the hook, which was still baited, under the stairs instead of in the fishing shed, and my dog had gone after the bait and got hooked.

Naturally I was really, really angry. It was such a preventable mistake. She struggled for a minute but eventually laid down in my lap and let me cut the line and get her collar off. The large catfish hook was in her cheek, but between a pair of pliers and some tiny scissors, we were able to free it. The whole time this dog laid in my lap with both of my hands in her mouth. Even in her frightened state, she tolerated me manhandling her mouth with little to no protest. She just laid there and looked up at me and thumped her tail while I dug a fishhook out of her face.

She's really the most wonderful dog. I'll need therapy after she dies. There's something about an animal devoting their undying love and trust to you that just feels really special. I hate it when she goes to the vet and I have to drop her off or let them take her back. She gets so worried about being away from me. I don't know if I told the story of how she stowed away in my mom's van and ended up across town at my grandma's where I was staying. It was like something out of a movie. I'd probably be giving her too much credit, but I swear she was looking for me when she got in the van and just figured mom would be going to wherever I was.

Her only fault is that she doesn't like little kids. I don't blame her. I had a kid in TSC trying to pet her and had to bodyblock the kid from getting to my dog. She's around them unless they mess with her, then she freezes and will sometimes growl. She's never bitten anyone but I wouldn't put it past her. That being said, I don't take her where tiny kids are going to be running up in her face. Kids around 10 and up are fine, and even some other kids are ok, but she can tell when someone isn't about to respect her personal space.

I love her a lot. She's 50lbs of clingy pittie mix and is always so happy to see me when I come home. I love her to death.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well...we adopted a dog from the shelter today. My dog isn't very impressed with her since she's only 5mos and still has a lot to learn. For instance, nobody messes with my dog's toys. There were a few arguments but that can be expected. Meet Allie Rue (the black pupper)

Attachments

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Wondering how I'm to tell my boss (I'm in charge of the horses) that the hay they get from their relatives is garbage? One of their mares has constant runny poop and I'll eat my hat if it's not the hay. Most of the other horses want to be underweight too. They feed this stuff I wouldn't hardly feed cows. Very grassy and damp smelling and grey colored rather than green or yellow. Smells musty.

Tempted to bring hay some nice hay from my grandparents and bring a chunk of it to her to illustrate. Feel like she gets mad when we talk about prices of things.

• Sad

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Had to take my dog to the vet to get a dental done. Blaze, or Mae, is my girl I've had for somewhere around 6 years now? She's the greatest dog but does not like being forced away from me. Even with people she knows. I dropped her off and the tech walked her back and as soon as my dog couldn't see me she turned into a totally different animal. She tucked her tail between her legs and all the hair on her back stood up. She was so scared and it made me sad to leave her there without me. I know she's scared to death. At least she'll be on drugs for most of the day and will hopefully be too out of it to care.

New puppy also went in just for her last parvo shot and checkup. She has no fleas and no parasites, but her and Mae got into it last evening (Allie's a teenager and Mae is 8 and has no patience) and she's got a swelling on her leg. The vet was like "I'm going to put her on some antibiotics" and didn't give me a chance to say otherwise, but I eventually said that I'm just going to watch it. It's hardly a scratch, she'll live. If it does get bad I don't have an issue with meds, I just don't believe in giving everything antibiotics for a scratch "just in case". Messes with gut flora unnecessarily, among other things. Her lymph node on the left side is significantly swollen, but the vet said that was most likely a vaccine reaction.

We'll see. Tempted to pop her a benadryl for the lymph node but so long as it's not causing issues I'll probably just leave it be.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I remember when you could buy a good broke horse for a few hundred bucks down here. Wasn't even that long ago. Sure they'd be some no-account grade horse that needed a few miles, but not a bad horse. No fancy buttons, but trail safe and rideable.

Maybe the market will calm down in a year or so.

And maybe it'll drive the cost of trailer tires down too. I was lucky and found a place that'll replace all four if I haul in for $430. Not terrible I suppose, even pre market boom.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I’m amazed by not only the cost of horses, but I’ve also been looking for a two horse slant load bumper pull trailer and I’m stunned by the cost of those as well. I can pretty much buy a new one for what a decent used one is priced at!

I’ve never paid more than $1250 for horse up to now. I don’t think I could get anything at all for that amount of money at this time. I’m with you in hoping the prices fall back to a more normal level in the future.

The new pup is a cutie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
It's been a few days. Midterms are coming up and college is about to get HARD. But it' not that hard right now, I passed my first two exams with a 90 and an 82 respectively. Terrified for pharmacology's midterm, the others I feel I can study for. Pharm is just ?????? But I think I can do it. I've been working 20 hours plus school and have good grades so far. No reason I can't keep doing it I guess.

I taught a riding lesson today to a 70 year old. I will probably be working with her horse some. She's looking to ride in our posse but had a bad fall a while back and has a new horse. She's only had the horse for a couple weeks and he's very jittery, but I feel like he'll even out a little. He's not relaxed when riding but again...I've seen that before and am working on it. He's gaited and likes to pace, which is the most uncomfortable thing on the planet. His lope is all over the place, but I blame anxiety. I worked with him for 5 mins tackless in the round pen doing some groundwork and he really started to engage, even though there was tons of yummy grass in the round pen to distract him. So he's certainly got potential, he's just nervous. And his rider is a little nervous too. If she were a kid I'd put her on a good horse bareback to teach balance, but she clearly stated even sitting bareback would not be happening. And I understand, I can figure something else out. She and the horse together have some pent up stress but nothing unmanageable I think.

It did feel weird to be teaching someone much older than me.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I got bucked off my first youngun today. Well, I bailed since I didn't have a helmet. She wasn't really broncing. I did get back on after fetching a helmet and she only slammed my knee into the round pen panel that time, but no bucking.

It was a little more old fashioned breaking rather than what I usually do, but this horse just needs to learn we aren't going to eat her. She calmed down once we sat there for a minute. She's just spooky about everything. The horse she came with (they're both mustangs) likes to try and eat you if she's not keen on doing something. She actually kicked me yesterday while feeding and I turned and kicked her right back...she's only a little over 13hh but has no time for anyone's mess. They've both got potential...they're just a handful.

• Wow

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Boss is out of town so I'm feeding every animal on the property through Sunday. One mini horse is doing rather poorly, he's lost some weight and acts not well. I dewormed him today since he's out with sheep and goats and heaven knows what he's got. He's still a colt but should be heavier than he is by a long shot. I am in the process of switching him over to a higher fat feed and he's getting red cell every day + sand clear. Everyone got dewormed yesterday and this morning one of the mustangs didn't finish her breakfast. Wondering if she really did have worms and they're all dying off and making her not feel so great. She looks pretty scruffy too. Her teeth are TERRIBLE. I called the vet today to get an estimate for them to come out and do teeth for her, coggins, and shots, and it was around 800...not sure how to break the news to boss in a way that'll convince her to get it done. I may just wait on the shots, but that's still a bad idea, since the skeeters carry West Nile and other things...

They probably all need teeth done to be entirely honest, but I can see the nasty hooks and sharp edges in the little mustang's mouth. She has had a really hard time gaining weight. Two other horses are the same way. But again, at $150 per dental, $35 per coggins, $55 per shot for EEE/WEE/Rabies/Tetanus/WNV, it adds up when you have 8 horses.

Once horse had an abscess explode yesterday and is feeling much better. I think she's got one in her other foot too, but it's been wet and they have big sharp rocks in one part of the pasture and abscesses and bruises are not that uncommon. I need to get the farrier out. I found them someone reliable, as the other farrier wasn't able to be there on the schedule that we needed.

And I don't know if I mentioned the goat with the broken horn, but her wound looks like it's FINALLY scabbing over. When I found it it was full of maggots and smelled like death and she had a hole in her head. I wonder about brain damage as there was a literal hollow hole in what was left in her horn to her skull, but she was a stupid goat to begin with, so I can't really tell. I had to pull her sister out of the fence today, there's cattle fencing at one end of the pasture and she had her head through it. I hate having horns on goats unless they're under constant supervision because they always manage to do something stupid with them and get hurt.

They're not the brightest creatures on the planet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Midterms had me in a really rough place mentally but I decided I was going to meet some folks down at the arena to ride tonight and that helped so much. I was going to just come home and sleep, but I feel a ton better and will probably sleep well tonight. My gosh, it's good to get out and ride sometimes. Got to see a few people I'm friends with in the community and have a good time. Tess saw the barrel pattern for the first time in a few months but did ok. She doesn't have speed but she's also not been conditioned for it for the past couple years. She's been ridden and built a lot of muscle, but we haven't focused on speed since I've had no time to train her or run barrels.

If gas isn't $12 a gallon by the time I'm out of school and have a steady job, I'll get her working again. We have posse training later this week and one of her previous owners/rescuers wants to come see her. I'm kind of excited for that as it's the kindness of those folks that led me to my heart horse.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts