The Horse Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
You know, I may not have quite the fastest barrel horse just yet, but at least she isn't a total crackhead. So many of these barrel horses are straight up bonkers (probably taking after their riders). I went to show my brother how to goat tie and jumped off of her at a canter and the second I swung my leg off she skids to a stop like "mom????? u good? why you coming off at a run like that???" And then stood there and waited for me to come get back on. I wish I could calf rope. She has gone up a size in saddles since I've been feeding her well and building muscle. If I can get her to fit in a coriente saddle, I might order around skirt association if they're not a thousand pounds.

That being said, we unlocked a new gear yesterday. I picked up and over and under whip (generally don't like using those because I always manage to smack myself in the face somehow) but some kind of mad speed was unlocked. We still have to work on her collecting her gallop in that small arena though. She has a much longer stride than most quarter horses and has a hard time going up a gear. She likes to get stuck in first gear and just add more RPMs if that makes sense. She's ungodly fast on the flat so I think I'll take her out and breeze her a little bit.

We brought her and my grandma's walking horse to our property yesterday afternoon. More on that later, but I took her and rode the fire break around the 40 some odd acres and we have some hills that are ridiculously steep. We're going to have some great back workout I'll tell you that right now.

I may go to a barrel race today but I'm just about considering taking some of my horses mare magic because my guts feel like they're falling out right now. Though I probably need a lot more than raspberry leaf if I'm being honest.

Being a woman is just great ain't it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
We ran barrels yesterday and placed 8th in the 4D @ 20.101. I would have been in the teens had not I zoned out and messed up our second barrel. Riding in a bit made all the difference, she hated the hack. A couple more weeks of practice and we should be down another second. I was holding her back and trying too had to keep her off the barrel. She was trying to cut them too tight during practice and I was worried about running into them.

Horse Vertebrate Working animal Horse tack Mammal

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Saturday morning I had to take Boss's mini to the vet because he's reluctant to eat and dropping weight badly. I'm not kidding when I say this horse's fecal matter is straight sand. He had diarrhea for a bit but I've been pumping the psyllium husk down him and he finally had some firm droppings, even if it is sand. No idea how this animal hasn't colicked yet. His forage now is only soaked beet pulp and alfalfa till he clears the sand. Poor thing looks so poor, but even though he's on a dry lot he has constant access to hay. Why he's still eating that much sand? No idea. Doesn't make sense. Could be he's also on the short end of the genetic stick (very dwarfy looking and has bad hind legs) and just might not have the bet survival skills.

After that I was feeling a little crummy but had promised to meet a friend at the arena to practice barrels. She gave me some great tips for fixing Tess's turns. I'm too scared of hitting barrels. I personally saw a wreck once where a horse knocked a barrel and caught it with their back leg and broke it. They backed the trailer into the arena where the horse had stopped and left right then...the leg was visibly just wrong. I can see it while writing this. Horse ended up being put down. I've got that terrible memory in the back of my head whenever I run and though I know it was a freak accident and people hit barrels all day long with no problem, it still bothers me. If something happened to my mare, especially some kind of tragedy, I'd be needing some professional help. It bothers my very insides just to think about it. She's given her heart to me and literally nobody else on the planet and that's a lot considering her past. She's my gal. I might lose my sanity just a little.

Anyway, I did get to ride a horse my friend is breaking, who's a very big draftX filly who's really a big puppy dog. She has her baby moments but she's real cute. We also talked about these mustangs at work I'm supposed to be helping train...one is a good little horse (the one who cut her face) but the other one is bonkers. Working with this animal makes me frustrated because she makes a little progress only to be back at square 1 the next day. She's so spooky about everything even though she sees it every day. Hands. Ropes. Halters. It's all going to kill her. She acts like she doesn't have a brain in her head. Yes, it's probably just a trust issue, but she's fed and touched by people every day, so why freak out when you see them? How do you not know by now we're not going to eat you?

I ended up coming home from the arena feeling really awful. It just got worse out riding in the chill. Came home, spiked a temp, was up through the night with the worst headache of my life. Fever's gone this morning but I've got a sinus thing going on as it feels like my ears and eyes are going to shoot off my head. Real fun as I have an exam Monday morning.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
On a better note, I've bought a new saddle. Well, not new, but in just about perfect condition. It's a Proven model Circle Y. A little dusty and made in August of 03, but the perfect size for me and not so ungodly hard like my current one is. I was riding in a 16 and need a 14. I really like the older Proven saddles.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I'm itching to get done with school but I don't know if I'll work in a clinic straight off.

I've got this restlessness. I wish more ranches still operated under open skies and over millions of acres where you wouldn't see a town for weeks. I've always been a realist when it comes to things and never really had big dreams, but one little dream of mine is to work someplace out west at least for a little while. Nothing's forever, so why not?

We haven't been at the new place for a year and a huge ranch/farm nearby just sold to developers. Will triple the population of our 500 person town and add to the traffic and bring people who don't understand agriculture to the area and just make a mess of things.

I need some elbow room. I need some wide open spaces and harsh living for a while. Maybe that'll convince me to settle down. I'm restless.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
It's Thanksgiving! Things have been crazy lately, so crazy in fact that cooking all day with the family was relaxing in comparison. My pies didn't turn out as well as I hoped since they kind of exploded in the oven a little, but they taste great if I do say so myself. I usually don't like to bake since I have the urge to ad lib and do whatever I want instead of following a recipe, but Thanksgiving is an exception.

There is a barrel race Sunday I plan on going to. I went down to the arena last night to practice and we kept hitting the second barrel. She's gotten it into her head how to turn now but if she knocks down that barrel it won't do any good. She's unlocked her speed though. For a little 850lb Arab cross she's got some serious power. It's like riding a horse twice her size. She's a LOT of horse. I don't really think about it much but yesterday I rode the walking horse who's a little dude and totally a goof and he's a kitten compared to her, even though he can be headstrong at times.

I can see why Tessa scared so many people off. She scares me sometimes. She's also a little rough to ride when she gets excited. I ordered a bit for barrels with a little more slide to it but it's probably technically milder than the one she's in now. She's the type of horse that if you try to bit up and manhandle her, she'll take that as a declaration of war. You must ask, not tell.

I did somehow aquire a Clinton Anderson rope halter (I know I didn't buy it, it was either given to me or was in a box of stuff I bought) and am starting to just ride her in that sometimes. She does neck rein and is getting to where you don't even need to direct rein at all to turn her.

Reactions: knightrider
81 - 88 of 88 Posts