The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silly phone posted before I actually wrote anything.

Anyway - this afternoon I went out to visit Chinga & noticed that he wasn't feeling well. I spoke to my trainer & we made a choice just to watch him for a while and see what happened.

He then laid down in his paddock and seemed a bit upset. But not in to much pain. Although, to be safe I contacted the vet & let them know what was going on. Turns out - most vets in the area were in a equine science meeting thing. So, we struggled to get hold of one.

At around 9pm he showed clear signs of colic. Kicking at himself, pawing, not eating. I got in contact with a vet and asked them to be there asap. The closest vet we waited 2 hours for. In this time - Chinga laid done once again. Despite my efforts to keep him up. He then went onto his side. It took three of us to get him up.

I walked & walked him - he's symptoms were beginning to ease and he was now only pawing. Once the vet arrives he agreed it was colic. Sedated him, gave him some pain relief and then put some paraffin oil through a tube in his nose to his throat. Poor Chinga wasn't his happy self at all. :(. We stayed with him for about an hour and the vet said that if he showed no more signs of discomfort to leave and check on him hourly.

We just left - and he was doing very well, just sleepy. Planning to go back very soon, came home to get warmer clothes, etc. Keep Chinga in your thoughts please.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Sorry to hear that Maddie, will keep him in my thoughts. Glad you caught it quick. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Oh no!! So sorry to hear this about Chinga! Will keep him in my thoughts....please keep us updated on how he is doing!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Sorry about what happened, Maddie. It's so good you caught it and called the vet! Will keep Chinga and you in my thoughts!

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Sending jingles, hope he gets over it well, how is the pooping going? We cant have a colic thread without a poop udpate..

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sending jingles, hope he gets over it well, how is the pooping going? We cant have a colic thread without a poop udpate..

Of course not!
I myself haven't seen him - my parents let me sleep through the rest of the night because I'm planning on being there all day today. But, from what I heard there isn't the normal amount and its still not very solid. Though, he is doing some - so that's good enough for now.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I hate colic. I'd still have one of my favorite mares around if it weren't for colic sadly it happened too fast for anythingnto be done....she made it onto the wall of fame though

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.