The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure how he did this, but when I went out to see him one day I noticed this. I don't really know what a abscess looks like but he isn't sore or lame. He's completely sound and moves and acts like the normal self he is.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10wuy3k&s=8#.VMvhEMn0DqA
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Nothing to worry about if he is sound. It has been an awful year for abscesses. My mare who never gets abscesses has blown out multiple abscesses this year. If its fresh you might want to soak it in iodine and epsom salts to make sure its clean. If its been there for awhile then its healed and just needs to grow out so just leave it be.

·
Super Moderator
23,241 Posts
Hi, That's an old abscess or 'fault' crack, that was due to a minor injury on the coronary band & has been growing down for the last few months. Appears he could have had periople(cuticle, the dirtier looking ring above) covering it until recently, why you haven't noticed it before. With something that small, no worry at all generally, but I'd just be disinfecting it, to hopefully avoid any 'seedy' bugs taking hold, and when it grows out to near the ground, it may break off in this area.

The 'fault line' ring about half inch or so down from the crack is *potentially* more of a concern, indicates a significant stress to the hooves at that point in time. Looks like there are many other far lighter/more minor 'stress rings' too. The slight flaring of the hooves also indicate things aren't perfect.

**These are minor looking signs, so nothing at all to panic about at all, but things to learn more about, so you can recognise problems, manage accordingly & hopefully avoid any significant problems.

Likewise the 'microcracks' down the grain of the hoof are not great, but not at all terrible either. Tend to indicate nutritional problems, or hooves that are in a wet environment. Or 'moisturised' with topical goops - hooves are meant to be dry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, That's an old abscess or 'fault' crack, that was due to a minor injury on the coronary band & has been growing down for the last few months. Appears he could have had periople(cuticle, the dirtier looking ring above) covering it until recently, why you haven't noticed it before. With something that small, no worry at all generally, but I'd just be disinfecting it, to hopefully avoid any 'seedy' bugs taking hold, and when it grows out to near the ground, it may break off in this area.

The 'fault line' ring about half inch or so down from the crack is *potentially* more of a concern, indicates a significant stress to the hooves at that point in time. Looks like there are many other far lighter/more minor 'stress rings' too. The slight flaring of the hooves also indicate things aren't perfect.

**These are minor looking signs, so nothing at all to panic about at all, but things to learn more about, so you can recognise problems, manage accordingly & hopefully avoid any significant problems.

Likewise the 'microcracks' down the grain of the hoof are not great, but not at all terrible either. Tend to indicate nutritional problems, or hooves that are in a wet environment. Or 'moisturised' with topical goops - hooves are meant to be dry.

When he came to me his hooves were WAY to long and he definitely was lacking some nutrition in his diet. Thank you for all of above, I have a lot to learn about horses hooves!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.