The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Unusual situation with our pony. She had two relatively mild choke episodes - no discharge, but gurgling and upset about it (it was not at feed time but several hours later) - two weeks ago. Switched feed to textured, no more choke issues. Then she had a week off while we were away. Now she is riding with her head low at the trot and canter. She is energetic, moving out good, but trying to pull her head down.

Vet was out after the choke, all checked out ok.

Any ideas? It's a mystery. Have had the pony for 4 years, no history of choke before.

Thank you!!

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Chokes, even mild ones, cause a sore throat, and often food aspirated into the lungs causing lung infections, pneumonia. A better check-up would be in order, just to be safe.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Chokes, even mild ones, cause a sore throat, and often food aspirated into the lungs causing lung infections, pneumonia. A better check-up would be in order, just to be safe.
^^^^this:)

·
Registered
923 Posts
My vet told me that after a single episode of choking, you can guarantee that the horse will have more episodes, and to always soak their feed from then on. I do still give Sonny dry treats and carrots, but always soak his Senior feed...he was a gulper at feeding time.Just so you know...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts