The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a mash for my Horses' Christmas Morning. I have a pound of pressed barley, maple syrup, candy cane, and a few apples. I was planning on the barley being the main, crushing the candy cane and cutting the apple into chunks then mixing together with the syrup. Is barley ok to feed, Ive heard they dont prefer the taste but with all the other ingredients it might disguise the taste. Please let me kno if this recipe will be fine and should i soak the barley???Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm planning on making my gang a mash tomorrow, but I'm using their normal grain. Don't want to introduce anything different to upset their digestive system.

Just adding a lot of warm water to their grain to make it soupy, then tossing in bits of candy canes, carrots and apples (everything in their stockings) and a few hay cubes. I can hear them slurping already :)

I've never fed barley, but I would soak it. Mashes are supposed to be very moist and I don't think you'll achieve that with maple syrup alone.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Ohh!! That is what I will make for Casey, I was going to make carrot cake cupcakes, but I will probably be to lazy. I will do a mash for Casey!! Extra grain ration, Rice Bran meal, Beet pulp, a bit of Quaker oats, apples, carrots and candy canes. We never eat all of our candy canes, and we found one from last year in our ornament box when we were decorating the tree!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm also hoping that one of my relatives' that we're visiting tomorrow will have peppermint marshmallow peeps at their house... my horses go nuts over those things!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'm also hoping that one of my relatives' that we're visiting tomorrow will have peppermint marshmallow peeps at their house... my horses go nuts over those things!
Oh wow, I have never heard of peppermint marshmallow peeps... Interesting! At the store the other day I passed like fudge marshmallows, strawberry marshmallows, and a bunch of others!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Loosie, we're not baking... a mash is fed as a grain feeding. Most people use bran, but I just soak their grain with warm water and toss in bits of apples, carrots and peppermints. It's just a little something special for them and I don't think they mind the warm water when it's reallllly cold outside...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Could you have used oats? I've never made mash but I put oats the treats I make for Lucy and she loves those

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I was thinking of the Carrot Cake cupcakes. I enjoy baking, and I treat horses as part of my family, and therefore, I often make treats, and every couple years make something special such as Carrot Cake cupcakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I grew up in UK. We cooked our own feed, bran mash is not overloaded with carbs or protein and can calm a hot headed horse. Oats are a bit too hot and play with horses head, but can be cooked, but if you add molasses, use very little. I have made the bran mash for years, but I was taught to cook the barley because it is easier to digest. Only takes about 1 hour to cook rolled barley (I add canola oil to water), the mix it with molasses. You want to watch how much sugar you give them especially if you are not riding regularly. I mix the barley with bran (wheat or rice) and general mineral supplement. Make sure mash is dry crumbly because bran is high fiber and can act like a laxative if too wet. Horse is less likely to founder or colic with this. Also keeps them well hydrated. When preparing for a show I would add a cup or 2 of oats for energy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes oats would be great! probably better than barley, but i had a big bag not being used in my cabinet;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts