The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not taken by a professional, just little old me with a relatively inexpensive camera. It was cold so we tried to be quick. Will collage these into a card.

First is Harley. He's an angel in a horse's body. Really, a perfect gentleman.

Then comes Rusty the clown. He's a hoot and has so much personality. The outtakes are great too.

Finally, Kodak, my shy girl, who would not hear of me putting a wreath around her neck so we settled for a bow.

Oh, and I couldn't resist showing Rusty's new trick. I am having a pedestal built for him because he loves putting his hoof on the mounting block so I will just add it to our trick training repertoire.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Your pictures are beautiful:)

Arabs are camera hogs, I think:). My Streeter loved to pose for the camera.

Duke would do anything but look handsome if he saw a little square box pointed at him, lollol.

You have a natural talent for taking pictures. This could be your retirement job:)

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to do something like this! How do you make the background black. I am horrible with phot shop!
Photoshop :) Actually, a similar program called Microsoft Digital Editor which is way more user friendly. I can use Photoshop, but find it time-consuming.

I start with a photo that already has a dark background to make it easier. So for example, I will take photos of the horses in a doorway with the dark interior of the barn behind them. Then I'll darken it more, paint over any objects I want to remove until I've got little background left. I don't paint using straight black, but a somewhat transparent dark colour that I pull from the original photo. I start with a wide brush to cover lots of area, then as I work my way closer to the main object of the photo, I use a smaller brush size and more transparency on the edges.

For example, the before photo of Harley looked like this. I cropped it, removed my daughter, blackened the door frame, and voilà! I did keep another version of it with my daughter in it as well because I think it's very cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yet without any of that work, that gorgeous eye and expression are already there! What a lovely photogenic horse.
Yes, he is - thanks! But this is one of about 35 photos I took of him in that same spot. The joy of digital cameras is that you can snap as many photos as you want and just delete the bad ones! I learned photography with a film camera and I developed my own photos in a darkroom. I think it did help me develop timing since back then, if you didn't get the timing right, you'd have wasted film.

I find that it helps to have a clear plan in mind when I go out to take photos, but I also have to remain flexible since conditions might change and I might have happy surprises. In this case though, I really wanted all three horses done in a black background so I could collage them together, therefore I had to catch them in the right spot in the doorway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts