The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I don't listen to them at home or in the car, and since I don't go out terribly often, hearing them in stores isn't bothering me. It's nice in moderation.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
I have an eclectic mix of favourites!

At school the music teacher made an arrangement of Silent Night. One class mate had a wonderful soprano voice, she sang whilst four of us backed with a descant , the rest of the choir hummed. The first time we performed it many of the congregation were crying, it was so beautiful.

I also love the Pogues,

Small children in a Nativity singing Away in a Manger always gets me.

This was another that never ages and raised so much money for a very good cause.

It has raised millions of pounds and has been released several times always to raise money for good causes. Considering the band was mostly UK and Irish and had never played together yet they made the record in a day, shows how good the musicians were.

·
Super Moderator
23,220 Posts
Was just on FB & a 'memory' of something I'd shared previously came up. Don't go in for xmas songs, or outlandish xmas lights generally, but this one is awesome! ('Thunderstruck' c/o Caters News, Shepparton, Vic, Aus)

Bummer... can't attach vid, can't link to FB & went looking on YT but couldn't find it there. I did find the same house doing 'Highway To Hell' which is not as good

I'd never seen this sort of thing before & it blew me away, but on (wasting time on) Youtube I found it's a 'done thing' - I now want to decorate our house!

·
Super Moderator
13,887 Posts
I wish the stores would not start playing holiday music in September...it just loses something when you realize it is sales oriented merchandising. :|
They could keep the store decorations hidden at that point in time too...no trees all decorated in their finery...
I'm just not ready mentally.. :frown_color:

I love the song "Mary Did You Know" regardless of who sings it...the words are just beautiful with meaning to me.
I like to listen to music played quietly not overwhelming in loudness...
From classical compilations to vocal...all is lovely.
I too like Mannheim Steamroller, most all of the country singers from old to many of today's crooners.
So many renditions of treasured songs...how do you pick one or two favorites...my Christmas music collection is huge and I listen to all of them throughout the season.

The one song I do not like is sung by Dean Martin think it is... Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer where he changes the name to "Rudy" just gets on my nerves...
And I like to love the music that accompanied the old classic tales many of us watched as children...
Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty, Little Drummer Boy and all the others...favorites with who sing their theme songs.

Today I would add Pentatonix to some of my more favored groups...
Acapella singing that blends the beauty of voices is just gorgeous..

·
Registered
423 Posts
My all time favorite is this modern cover of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. I think the modern arrangement creates a completely different feeling than the original hymn. It makes me teary-eyed every time I listen to it... Even though it's a Christian religious song, I don't think you necessarily need to believe in the idea of the Christian version of God to appreciate the sentiment that, despite all the bad things we hear about every day, not all peace and good and hope is dead in the world.

"And the bells are ringing.
Like a choir they're singing.
In my heart I hear them.
Peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head.
There is no peace on earth, I said.
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Then rang the bells more loud and deep.
God is not dead, nor does he sleep.
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the can't stand category, the one where the guy see old girlfriend in the grocery store and the split a sixes in the car and cry or whatever.

Awful, just awful.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I like all kinds of Christmas music but get sick of hearing it by the time Christmas gets here so I try to find a radio station that just throws one in here and there. I even like hearing Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer a time or two but then I'm done with it until the next year.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
@6gun Kid it is different. I would have been out the door when she started her ranting and raving after opening the gift. LOL. I never did like Heavy metal/rock music. Just not my cup of tea LOL.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Dug through the CD collection when I was a kid and found that. Put it on and tried to keep up on keyboard. Now it's a holiday tradition. :cool:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll Be Home For Christmas has been in my head a lot. I was in Tractor Supply and it was playing. Couldn't tell who, some female singer with pretty voice. Maybe Carrrie could not really hear it that well. But it kinda got to me. Not just because I won't actually be going home this year. But that Christmas, as hard as I try to recreate, will only be in my memories and dreams.

I will enjoy it still. Make new memories and all but it isn't the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.