The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Real. Also grown and containerized for replanting in mind. Some years we do just one large one. Others we do like the three bears. Papa, momma and baby tree. I really love my set of pine cone lights but I rotate year to year. This year it will be twinkling fairy lights. Ours are placed outside the living room right in front of the large windows. I have outdoor resistant decorations and go simple.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Real and freshly cut. We won't get it until the second weekend of December or so. I find they dry out too soon if we cut it early. And honestly, I can't deal with Christmas gaudiness for a month.

Not really feeling the Christmas spirit yet anyway. Having a belated Thanksgiving celebration with my family next weekend (our Canadian Thanksgiving was actually in October so we're way behind). Maybe I'll start feeling it then.

On the other hand, I'm super excited about creating my equine Christmas card this year. Have props ready to go and a clear idea of what I'm doing this year. Though the horses will undoubtedly have a different idea.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
When they are up. We may get them this weekend or next but won't decorate until closer. I think this year I want to dig holes, put in gravel and line with a plastic pot then place and fill between sides with gravel to keep them upright and the roots protected. I figure if I make it more permanent I can also plant seasonal pots and drop them in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I love a real tree but don't always get the opportunity to put one up. I've had a look-alike artificial tree and that was okay - couldn't tell the difference except that it didn't have the lovely scent. I now have this neat little white "wire and plain lights" techno-tree that looks very decorative and picturesque with a Christmasy tree skirt, some garland, any ornaments and a topper. I've decorated it with gold or red bead strands too. No mess, no fuss. Not a lot of assembly required aside from decorating it.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to lowes and Home Depot today. Actually there where a few artificial ones I thought looked pretty good. Lights already on it.

I would like to get led lights, but the ones I have seen have an off color instead of traditional true reds and all.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I quit decorating for Christmas when we moved down here to the boonies. His kids scattered and don't come, you can't see the house from the road so passerbyers don't get to enjoy and when I considered the work versus my enjoyment of looking at the tree I decided I didn't like looking at it that much. LOL Just went through most of our Christmas decorations a short time ago and donated most of it to Goodwill. Saved a few of my favorite things so I might climb up in the attic and bring out some things to sit around but not until closer to Christmas.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I am not putting a tree up either.

I had two of my nieces with their husbands here for Thanksgiving, so I'm not doing dinner for Christmas. My oldest niece told me that she and her husband want to spend Christmas at their new home as a couple and have a quiet one. I might hang out with the youngest but nothing like dinner or anything.

I have an artificial tree for a back-up but usually have a real one. I just don't feel like putting up either this year. I'll dig around in my totes of Christmas stuff and see what couple of little things that I might want to pick out.

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
No tree for me! I haven't bothered for years. I am not at home for the day so, being lazy, I do not decorate at all.

My sister and family always have a real tree. It always looks good.

Many years ago a friend in Va sent me a tree ornament in the White House series. As I don't have a tree I gave it to sis. She loved it and each year I have got her one. A couple of of years ago I was able to purchase the early ins so, she has the complete set. They do look good.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I'm not sure if we can be bothered to put a tree up this year - we'll see. I'm feeling lazy, and wanting to avoid fuss. Would you believe all the fairy lights we put up inside last Christmas are still up, we didn't take them down? :) We have an Albany Woollybush, native to our area, in a pot, and brought it in for Christmas last year. This is what it looked like:

But, we also have trees called Christmas trees here in Western Australia, which flower spectacularly in orange at Christmastime. Here's some on a trail last Christmas:

@aubie, what's your cat getting for Christmas?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I can totally understand those who don't bother with trees anymore. We do it for the kids. But my husband is very much into tradition (we still do stockings for each other - but no other gifts so it's more about thoughfulness than spending a lot) so he'd probably want to keep having a tree. I like the idea of a tree we can replant, but also, 4 acres of our property is an old xmas tree farm that was abandoned so the trees are overgrown, crowding each other, and we are trying to thin that part of the property, therefore it makes no sense to add more trees. And since we'd have to wait 5 months to plant it outside since the ground is frozen, it would just be one more thing I'd have to keep watering.

We normally put up lots of Christmas lights too, but haven't done anything yet. Maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I used to enjoy a real tree occasionally, but since I work Christmas and live alone (if one doesn't count the critters) I don't bother.

I do have an artificial tree in the shed, so maybe will put it up again sometime. It is cheerful to have a brightly lit tree and a fire in the fireplace. Cozy.

My decorations tend towards nature; pine cones, poinsettia leaves, berries, and a small bird or two tucked in the branches.

·
Administrator
35,646 Posts
Real trees have me sneezing all over the Christmas period so it’s an artificial one that’s been dragged out for around 10 years now. I keep looking at new ones then decide that spending between $800 to $1000 for a few weeks of the year seems ridiculous so I don’t bother.
It’s got lights fixed into it and I’ve got loads of baubles that I’ve been collecting for years. Every year I buy a couple of new ones but mostly to replace ones I break now.
We’ve got some that were mine when I was a child, some that were my DH’s when he was a child and others that are reminders of my children’s first Christmas’. Many hold special memories of years gone by, some sad, some happy.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
I have a small house so would prefer to just hang garland around the top edge and hang decorations along it.

But, I have grandkids with me. So, I have a fake tree that I can tuck into a corner by not putting all the branches on the sides against the walls.

My favorite fake tree was one some clients who lived at a nursing home gave me. It was 18" tall and pre-lit. They thought it was sad I didn't have a tree, so when someone threw this one out, they went out with their walkers, through the snow, to the dumpster, and took it back in! Then the wife made some needlepoint and paper ornaments for it.

Other residents also made and gave little ornaments. And they presented me with the tree a few days after Christmas.

It was so sweet!

I still have all the ornaments.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As the years go by I do less & less for Christmas. We don't put up lights on the house anymore, but we will still do a tree b/c at some point I will end up hosting something (either Christmas Eve or christmas dinner).

We get a $5 permit and go cut our own tree down. Usually we will do that in the second week of December.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
When we were children, the last Saturday before Christmas, my dad and any of the kids that wanted to go (always me) would search out the perfect tree in the woods. My dad would cut it down and it would sit in a bucket of water on the porch until Christmas eve day.

On the morning of Christmas eve, my dad would bring the tree into the house. That morning was spent decorating the tree and in the afternoon everyone would bring out the presents and place them around the tree.

On Christmas eve, after supper, we would sing carols and place baby Jesus in the manger. Then open gifts from each other.

Christmas morning, we would wake up to find that Santa had brought more presents! Stockings would be full of candy, fruit and nuts.

We had a simple breakfast of oatmeal and fresh fruit out of our stockings like juicy oranges. Then would sit around the tree with cups of hot chocolate while we opened presents.

It was a magical time...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts