The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start this thread to hopefully get my butt in gear at some point and get over my financial fears. Here's a little background for you:
I grew up around AQHA/APHA show horses and fell in love. I did chores around the house growing up to pay for riding lessons, and at some point, for some reason, never went back. I never completely quit riding, and I worked around horses as much as I could. When I finally moved out on my own, I went to school, got a full-time job and had the opportunity to buy a wonderful QH/Mustang cross (so who knows what he really was :rofl: ), so I did. Suddenly, what I thought was a stable full-time job turned out not to be. I was taken off the schedule for some mysterious reason, and they wouldn't put me back on for MONTHS despite me calling every few days. Long story short, I couldn't afford to keep my horse anymore and had to sell him.
Losing my job resulted in me having to move back in with my parents and go back to school. I've now been looking at getting another horse, but I'm terrified of getting into a situation where I can't afford it again. I have another wonderful full time job that I love. A degree that will be getting me a decent raise in the near future, a cheap place to rent, and plenty in savings. HOWEVER, I also just had to buy a new car, and I have a dog. My last experience has just put a bad taste in my mouth, and whenever I get the opportunity to get a new horse, I back out. I'm not sure how to get over this fear, so I'm hoping keeping a sort of journal will help me get this figured out. Any encouragement and advice anyone has is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I agree on setting up a savings account for both the dog and a horse that you'll get in the future. Having the peace of mind knowing that you can pay for their care will make a difference in your thinking when you're ready to find the perfect horse for you. Remember to add to that savings account from every paycheck so it becomes a habit. Also set up an emergency savings account for yourself so you have the funds to fall back on if you lose your job or an emergency crops up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Have both of those set in place. Thinking about having to use them gives me anxiety though lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a registered veterinary technician currently working as a receptionist at a clinic. When I accepted the job, I was told it'd be probably 9 months before I could start teching there.

The good news? I've finally hit the 9 month mark. The bad news? On of our receptionists just put in her 2 weeks notice, so we have to work on hiring new people before I can start teching :icon_frown:. I'm starting to get very frustrated with having my training put on hold. (Our office manager has been saying we're going to start my training for months now and it keeps getting pushed back.) Not feeling like your skills are important to the place you're working is very hard to tolerate for long, and I'm about at my wits end with it! So, I've decided I'm going to start my own farm sitting business! I've been house sitting for people since I was 14. Dogs, cats, horses, chickens, and I have the training to handle any other animal that comes along, so I figured why not?! I'm pretty excited to see where this goes!

I'm also starting to resent living in Iowa. I'm missing Nashville like crazy, and it's hard to find the time and money to visit. :sad: I've been supposed to go down there for weeks now to start recording my debut EP, but one thing always leads to another and either my songs aren't done (I'm having a friend of mine write them for me), the studio we're using is booked the weekend I can go down, or I can't get the time/money to take work off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to place a bid on a horse at the last BLM Adoption event just to see what would happen. I ended up winning the bid, so I figured I might as well go meet him on Oct. 22nd (they will haul him closer to my area).
I was talking to a work friend of mine about it, and she decided to try and pawn one of her green horses off on me ? I go from freaking out about one to considering two!! (I may be a smidge crazy.) I went out to meet him Sunday, and he is SUPER sweet and met all my requirements! ? I'm now in the process of looking for a boarding facility and vet for him. He's not very photogenic, but here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Cute horse! :smile: That is awesome that you won the mustang!

Reactions: Diamond33

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
He's a very handsome little horse, I like him!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I like him too. :) Maybe take it slow as far as getting into more than one horse right now, simply to allow yourself time to really bond and focus on one in case he needs training, a lot of your time, etc. If you end up having to lease a place, then it makes sense to have two if you can financially wing it. I am looking forward to reading updates about this boy :) I have anxiety disorder, so I totally can relate to what you are feeling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... I've spent a lot more money already than I had thought I would. When I moved back home, I put all of my horsey stuff in storage thinking I would need it for a while.
My halter, lead rope, grooming kit, boots, wraps, etc. are all in there, and now I can't find the box.
So today I went to Fleet Farm and bought a new halter, lead rope and polo wraps. I also ordered a new grooming kit. The vet is coming out Thursday to update vaccines, and I still have to pay first months board ?. On top of THAT I have recording fees and gas money to go down to TN in 3 weeks to get my EP done.
I'm freaking out a little (or a lot)!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We ran into the first of many bumps in the road with Ghost today.
I had the vet out to the farm he's at now to update vaccines and pull a Coggins. He was being wonderful while my SO and I were out with him. I lunged him for a while to get some energy out. When the vet showed up, he was wary, but did fine until he stepped to his side. He did NOT like that and freaked out. Reared, ripped the lead rope out of my hands and took off across the pasture.
Luckily, the vet forgot the Rabies vaccines, so while I worked on catching him and calming him down, he ran back to the clinic.
When he got back, Ghost would hardly let him near him. He let him scratch his head and muzzle and he'd sniff him once in a while, but that was all.
As soon as the vet took a few steps back, he walked right up next to me and nuzzled my shoulder. I'm glad I've at least gained SOME of his trust, but now we have to work on trusting OTHER people.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After yesterday's little "event" I decided to go see Ghost again tonight just to get him a little more familiar with me and the BF. It took a little bit to catch him, but he eventually settled down enough for me to halter and lead him.
Quite a bit of huffing and puffing when my BF took the lead rope so I could groom him. He was fine up until I reached his hindquarters with the brush, so we'll have to work on that.
The last few times when we took the halter off and went to leave he turned around and walked off like "FINALLY! Get out of here you crazy humans!", but this time he followed us all the way to the gate!
Very excited to keep bonding with this sweet little guy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We moved Ghost to his new home today! He's got a pasture all to himself for now so he can get used to the place and the other horses (and me). I think this is going to be really good for him!
We walked around the pasture when we got there, and he only spooked twice! I was so proud of him. Both times, he calmed right down when I started talking to him and reassuring him. He even went up to all the scary things and sniffed them with a little coaxing.
I can't wait to see all the progress we will be able to make!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our first challenge arose a few days ago. Ghost has decided he does NOT want to lead on a lead rope. As soon as I take it off, he'll follow me wherever, but while it's on he plants his feet and will not move! He'll move backward, sideways, yield his shoulders and hindquarters, I've walked off sideways to try to get him off balance, used a lunge whip and even lunged him! But as soon as I ask him to walk forward, he takes 2 steps and stops... I have yet to try a butt rope or someone else pressuring him from behind (I'm usually out there by myself), but I'm going to try to bring the BF out there today and see what we can get done.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That's something Cherokee does from time to time. You can try the butt rope. I've also found that swinging the end of the rope near their rear end is a good way to get them going. Just swing it beside him at first to create "air pressure" and then if he still won't go, let it bump into his hip. Since he's not responding to the rope, don't know if it'll work, but worth a shot. As stubborn as Cherokee can be sometimes, that works fairly well. Once he gets going forward, make sure you're no nonsense, "You're coming with me." matter of fact, and he should follow.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's something Cherokee does from time to time. You can try the butt rope. I've also found that swinging the end of the rope near their rear end is a good way to get them going. Just swing it beside him at first to create "air pressure" and then if he still won't go, let it bump into his hip. Since he's not responding to the rope, don't know if it'll work, but worth a shot. As stubborn as Cherokee can be sometimes, that works fairly well. Once he gets going forward, make sure you're no nonsense, "You're coming with me." matter of fact, and he should follow.

Good luck. :)
I have tried that too! Lol he just does NOT want to move forward for whatever reason!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Oh, I don't know then! Lol, sometimes it takes a lot of two steps, two more, two more...

There's been days it took me 10 minutes to walk out of the pasture because we stopped every 4 feet. If you just keep doing it over and over, as long as you consistently make him come out he should get the message!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts