The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my horse is the proper weight?! I have one person tell me she looks chubby one day, and then another say she is too thin the next! It's so confusing. I looked at the scale, and I have weighed her using the tape. Per the tape, she is 15.2 and 950lbs or so. She's an ArabX, so a smallish type build,...but I just wish I could self gauge her weight better. I feel like the vet just looks for healthy or unhealthy. She scored a 5 on that scale, but the scales descriptions just seem so generalized..hmm.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I looked at her pics. and she looks great to me!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think she looks lovely. My TB gelding gets very muscly in the summer and you can even see the outline of his ribs but he's a pig...eats everything in sight.

I think body type has allot to do with breed and fitness. Some people are used to fat rolly poly QH's and others not. A gal at our barn has a QH with a big fat but and she thinks she's skinny lol...I think the horse needs exercise ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that makes sense, i board with alot of quarterhorses. she also gets schooled the most (about 5 times a day) compared to the other horses. I've have her since july here are the before and after pics:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've had a couple of vets tell me that you should be able to feel the ribs...but not see them.

BTW...she is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
^ I've had vets tell me the same thing. If you can feel them (even if you have to poke around a little) but not see them then your horse is in good weight.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
she looks gorgeous to me. A lot of people have horses that are way too fat which puts them at risk for equine metabolic syndrome and poor health in general. This is a problem with dogs and cats as well. Your girl looks lovely to me, use the tape to gauge loss or gain, but I'd try to keep her close to where she is at now.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I like how she looks now MUCH better.

Here is my guy in the summer...see...I can just make out his ribs. He never gets any kind of belly. And this is when he hadn't been worked consistently for about a month cuz we were getting ready for a move.

·
Registered
555 Posts
she looks gorgeous to me. A lot of people have horses that are way too fat which puts them at risk for equine metabolic syndrome and poor health in general. This is a problem with dogs and cats as well. Your girl looks lovely to me, use the tape to gauge loss or gain, but I'd try to keep her close to where she is at now.
I agree with the ^. Add on joint problems as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like how she looks now MUCH better.

Here is my guy in the summer...see...I can just make out his ribs. He never gets any kind of belly. And this is when he hadn't been worked consistently for about a month cuz we were getting ready for a move.
he's got a really nice TB frame. you can easily see how well-balanced he is throughout his body. I really like the midsection of TB's. They always look so lithe and they seem to get fit quite easily.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I just want to point out something with the weight tapes. If you move the tape even an inch one way or another, your horse gains or loses 100lbs. o_O

I think she looks fine. As mentioned, you should be able to feel the ribs and there's nothing wrong with seeing them, like Cecillia's horse. My horse is 15.1 and probably 1300, if not more. I think she's getting fat when I can see her sides sticking out past her butt when looking at her from behind, can't see her hips when looking at her from the front, when her belly gets lower than her girth, and the most obvious, when I can't get the left side of her girth up to hole 5, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.