The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought a saddle a couple of years ago, the seller included a free cinch. It is a 28 inch (71 centimeters), straight string cinch. I have had good results with it, but I would like to make an informed purchase for my next cinch.

• What cinch do you recommend? Although I would prefer to continue using a string girth, I am willing to consider using others as long as it is not made of neoprene or leather.
  • What type of cinch do you recommend? I mostly trail ride. I have been told that roper cinches are good, but others have said that they are too wide. I ride a narrow, 14.3-15 HH TWH.

If you do recommend a string cinch:
  • How many strings do you recommend?
  • What material do you recommend? I have been told that pure mohair or pure alpaca works best. What is the difference between mohair and alpaca?

• How does one care for this recommended cinch?
  • Where does one purchase this recommended cinch? I do not have any good-quality tack stores near me, so I would need to purchase it online. I am looking for one under 150 dollars, including shipping.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have a couple I bought somewhere in New Mexico, and this one-- all are over 20 years old and look great.

https://www.outfitterssupply.com/5-Star-100-Natural-Mohair-Pinstripe-Cincha/productinfo/WSAYWR31/

I wash them a couple of times a year by swishing them in a bucket of water/horse shampoo, then rinsing, or if they're REALLY dirty, using the power washer and doing them at the same time I do my saddle pads. Stretch them on a board so they don't shrink up if you use hot water.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Nope, nothing is broken. Once a string or two is broken, I toss a cinch. If you care for it decently (give it a quick rinse periodically if it's been sweatsoaked) it should last a very long time.

I use a roper-style cinch on most horses, but for a small or narrow horse-- 14.2 hh or so, I'll use a regular straight cinch as the roper ones can make them sore behind the forelegs if the cinch is too wide and the space between the legs too narrow. See how each type fits your horse/saddle, and then choose the one that sits in the proper place. That's more important than the width. One caveat-- if you use a roper-style cinch, you MUST make sure it's centered and the wide part is in the middle of the horse's brisket. If, over the course of the day, you tighten up a couple of times and that middle part ends up off-center, you'll sore the horse. A straight cinch has a lot more leeway if slightly off-center before you have problems. If you don't want to get down, loosen your cinch, and take the time to go up a hole on the off side and then readjust everything midway through your morning to keep that cinch centered, a straight cinch is probably a better fit for you.

I've not used an alpaca cinch, but I imagine it's very similar. Whatever you get, choose one that is 100% mohair/alpaca and not "100% mohair *blend*" in small letters. Cotton/nylon doesn't dry out as fast, gets stiff once wet, attracts more burrs and twigs, and is a lot more likely to sore your horse. Most will only last a few years. A quality pure mohair/alpaca cinch will last you a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.