The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new horse and I am using my old horse's bucket. I want it cleaned up and fresh for the new one. I am thinking to use bleach, is this ok? The new horse will be here tomorrow @ 2ish. What is a good, non toxic way to clean a bucket? Thank you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Use vinegar (apple cider) preferablely. It is a good, natural and safe disinfectant that won't hurt a horse, also use hot water to help kill any germs from the previous horse. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I use a 10% bleach solution. It will disinfect better than ACV, IMO. One part bleach, 9 parts water. Just rinse it out. I dip my brushes and grooming tools in it and scrub them. Then just lay them, bristles down, to dry. It helps prevent the spread of skin fungus from one horse to another.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I love using mouth wash for my brushes. Bleech can change the color and possibly warp the plastic.

For buckets I scrub super well with commet.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I love using mouth wash for my brushes. Bleech can change the color and possibly warp the plastic.

For buckets I scrub super well with commet.
Bleach warps buckets? Changes the color? I let a bleach solution sit in a bucket for a day to disinfect it. Never had any issues. Our buckets are old!

We also use a dairy grade disinfectant that is intended to clean milking equipment.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i use bleach as well, with no problems.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I use bleach or Listerine.

I use Listerine for the daily scrubbing. It keeps the buckets nice and fresh all summer long. And no need to do a major rinse. The cool mint smell seems to be liked by the horses.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bleach warps buckets? Changes the color? I let a bleach solution sit in a bucket for a day to disinfect it. Never had any issues. Our buckets are old!

We also use a dairy grade disinfectant that is intended to clean milking equipment.
No, I mean the brushes. Ive made my grooming supplies look a little funky a few times with bleech. If the buckets are old and have alot of scratces or things like that I just recycle them and buy new ones. I dont think plastic buckets really hold bacteria, unless they arent rinsed well or have imperfections (bite marks ect...)

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I dont think plastic buckets really hold bacteria, unless they arent rinsed well or have imperfections (bite marks ect...)
Hmmmm, they seem to get green algae like slime quite easily in the warmer months so I am willing to believe they can harbor other germ type things too.

Bleach is not a horrible thing. Rinse it and that should be good enough. People put bleach in wells to sanitize and kill things. The tiny bit of residual will not hurt the horses water.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Really depends on what you used the bucket for. If just for dry feed, washing, whatever, it really doesn't matter...white vinegar works great. If the bucket was eaten from, then Listerine (minty) is a great choice. Bleach, harch cleaners like Comet, can leave an odor behind that the horse will be sensitive to, unless rinsed super well. A bit of mint Listerine or equal with baking soda to scrub is best bet, since it will kill off a bunch of bacteria lurking in the plastic. The horse won't mind the scent either!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't like bleach for use on live tissue (HOOVES) but for non-oragnic items, it's great. And, bleach, if rinsed well, isn't going to harm your horse. It kills all the little nasties, and in this case, I'd use it over apple cider vinegar, personally. Just give it a decent after rinse and let dry.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I use muriatic acid. It is used around my pool. It really removes the green from water troughs, any scale buildup just rinses right off. It doesn't harm plastic and a quick rinse is all I do. We dump it in the pool to adjust the PH and it doesn't harm us.

CLR would do the same thing to clean buckets or troughs

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
CLR would do the same thing to clean buckets or troughs
What a great idea. That tough stuff that gets on the trough will probably wash off much easier using CLR. Great idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone, I used bleach. Worked nicely:)

And thanks so much GoldRush, I love her! <3

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Bleach is fine. You do know that Chlorine is put into tap water right???

I use house hold bleach to bleach out my well. A stronger type is used in Pools. It dose not take long for Chlorine to evaporate out of water. Just give it a good rince and fill it back up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.