The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance bought me a headstall and breastcollar set second hand for pretty cheap. It's been sitting for a while and the silver is tarnished and the leather got moldy :(. I have leather cleaner so I can wipe the mold off and then use the leather stuff. But what do you suggest for cleaning the silver?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
We use a paste product named flitz , my husband gave me a tube when I was looking to clean up a old show halter. I love it so much that I wont use anything else. It really worked well and the silver really shines. It can get a little pricey depending on the size of the container. I have since used it on several old show halters and one show bridle. works wonders!

Flitz Metal, Plastic, & Fiberglass Polish

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
With the saddle, my husband used blue painter's tape around the conchos to keep the cleaner off the leather. I don't know what damage it would have caused, but the tape came off easily and didn't leave any residue.
That is an excellent tip!
I use a regular paste silver polish Wright's Silver Cream, I think I got it at Walmart. Try a toothbrush to get it in and out of the crevices
I have gotten the Wright's on the leather and it did no harm, but I'd use the painters tape just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have just wiped it off with a towel but yeah the painters tape is an excellent tip , I havent noticed anything happening to the leather but just to be on the safe side it wouldnt hurt. I also use a toothbrush to get into the little cracks, then wipe it with a paper towel/soft cloth to buff it out. It really shines : )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.