The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still pretty new to the western pleasure world and I have a breed level horsemanship jacket and was wondering how to go about cleaning it. There's nothing just horrible about it, it's just been worn in a dusty arena and the white isn't exactly white anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,041 Posts
I take it there is no "Directions for Care" or anything, huh?

I guess to be safe I'd take it to a dry cleaners. Especially if it is a jacket/coat with a lining.

If that is not possible, I'd soak it in a cold water hand wash detergent. (Something like Woolite). I'd soak it in that. Rinse it gently and thoroughly. Dab as much moisture as I could with towels, and hang it to dry. When I hung it, I'd pull the material and along the seams to straighten it as much as possible. Or "block" it on an absorbant, flat surface (if you don't have a drying rack).

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I usually take my western shirts and jackets to the drycleaners and they come out fine.

Reactions: waresbear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it there is no "Directions for Care" or anything, huh?

I guess to be safe I'd take it to a dry cleaners. Especially if it is a jacket/coat with a lining.

If that is not possible, I'd soak it in a cold water hand wash detergent. (Something like Woolite). I'd soak it in that. Rinse it gently and thoroughly. Dab as much moisture as I could with towels, and hang it to dry. When I hung it, I'd pull the material and along the seams to straighten it as much as possible. Or "block" it on an absorbant, flat surface (if you don't have a drying rack).
Not at all, it's likely to have been done by a designer. No tags or marks and it's either altered or a custom. I bought it used and am unsure of which designer it would be though.

We tried to go the dry cleaners route, not a single one around will take it.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable soaking this jacket as has hundreds of crystals unless that's something that's normally done on them and is safe. I feel so clueless but I definitely don't want to harm this jacket. It's missing a few stones and that's enough to scare me.

Here's a couple of photos of it to get an idea of just what I'm talking about though the off-color is a little more noticeable in person than in the pictures. It's the strip and shoulders that worry me.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
Its very pretty and obviously a custom-made creation.
If those stones and adornments are really affixed they would have either a knot of thread or some sort of seen backing piece to them, otherwise they are glued on...
If that is a fully lined jacket you would still "feel" the backing piece or knot through the thin silky lining material...otherwise if not lined you understand by what you do or don't see why the answer was "No" to cleaning it.

That is I bet a spot-clean only article of clothing...
Something to research online for products or you could ask a dry-cleaning store and or a seamstress what they could suggest.
No one, no company is going to want to take on a project such as that jacket with stones and decorations such as it has...can't blame them either.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its very pretty and obviously a custom-made creation.
If those stones and adornments are really affixed they would have either a knot of thread or some sort of seen backing piece to them, otherwise they are glued on...
If that is a fully lined jacket you would still "feel" the backing piece or knot through the thin silky lining material...otherwise if not lined you understand by what you do or don't see why the answer was "No" to cleaning it.

That is I bet a spot-clean only article of clothing...
Something to research online for products or you could ask a dry-cleaning store and or a seamstress what they could suggest.
No one, no company is going to want to take on a project such as that jacket with stones and decorations such as it has...can't blame them either.
:runninghorse2:...
The majority of stones are just glued on, however, some of the bigger adornments are sewn, hence why most cleaning procedures make me nervous around it. There's no lining to it, the black at the bottom is the entire base.

You're most likely right about the spot clean only, most things I've found online have said to just contact the designer. I'll probably have to do some digging. Part of me wonders if the products they use to clean pageant dresses might work.

Oh, I definitely don't blame them for not taking the project on, and I'd definitely rather them just say no on the front end than mess it up.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
A jacket like that is very expensive to have made and they're not wanting the liability. I'd contact the designer (if you can find the info) and go from there. If you can't find the designer, then I would take a dry toothbrush to the areas that are looking dingy and see if you can remove most of the grime that way. Is the white part fabric or leather?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A jacket like that is very expensive to have made and they're not wanting the liability. I'd contact the designer (if you can find the info) and go from there. If you can't find the designer, then I would take a dry toothbrush to the areas that are looking dingy and see if you can remove most of the grime that way. Is the white part fabric or leather?
I never thought about using a toothbrush. The dingy white is a heavier fabric (the same material as the stuff at the bottom), the bright white is leather.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
The Mardi Gras season here is starting which means beaded everything. Most either spot wash or hand wash. With multiple colors used hopefully they were prewashed before the design was applied and they are color fast. Forever New is the recommended detergent for most and what most of us use. Other than that protection is the key.

For a show shirt worn in an arena I would think using a powder brush (clean, scrupulously clean) to remove dust would work. A few I know use a blow dryer no heat setting to blow the dust off. To me that would just drive it further in but for them it works. Once all dust is removed then wipe with a damp cloth. Wear a thin absorbent shirt underneath to keep sweat off and use stain liners.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I never thought about using a toothbrush. The dingy white is a heavier fabric (the same material as the stuff at the bottom), the bright white is leather.

On the fabric you could try some corn starch and toothbrush. We used it to clean fur hand muffs when I was a kid, worked very well. For the leather, I'd use something like Leather New and a soft, damp cloth or even QTips in small spots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts