The Horse Forum banner

Cleaning white faces?

2154 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Cowgirl140ty
My horse has quite a bit of white on her face. I sometimes spray it reeeeally lightly with the hose but it never gets it all out. what are good tips to making their faces really white for shows?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
956 Posts
My horse only has small facial markings, but I just use baby shampoo. This way if it gets in her eyes it won't sting. Then I turn the water on really low and she knows to drop her head so the water runs down her face and doesn't risk getting in her ears.

· Registered
537 Posts
I've never shown before, but I have had luck with a soft face curry and baby wipes. They can clean up those white markings really well.

· Registered
681 Posts
My beast is all white... yay lucky me.

I've found that currying while rinsing out the shampoo really cleans out the dirt. The best whiteners have a bluing agent, but they're not always the nicest to eyes.

· Registered
105 Posts
Self Rinse Plus. It is a self rinsing shampoo with a whiting agent. Spray some onto a cloth and rub the white spot in small circles. It will get very foamy. Then take a shammy and dry the face. Then redo it until it looks clean. Self rinse plus can be used everywhere. I use it on my chestnuts tail in the winter when I can't wash it. It is also great for touching up spots at shows!

Rosethorn

· Registered
130 Posts
There is dog shampoo that you rub on then wipe off with a rag this works better than green out and miracle groom. Also for a brighter white you can use grooming chalk, baby powder or corn starch. Hope this helps.

· Registered
910 Posts
I used a soft curry and what ever shampoo im using. If your worried about soap in the eyes... you can put some baby oil in their eyes. It will make a film that wont hurt the horse, but wont let shampoo sting the eye.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.