·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So the poor 'hero' rat's careers end with a bang?
Absolutely not. No, no, no. I am remiss for not pointing that out in the opening post. I watched a few videos after that by searching for rats that find mines and it turns out that their bodies are so light that they in no way could set off a mine.

These little fellers are trained for up to one year at a bit of expense. More that just finding one mine would be worth.

The bomb squad I'm sure is called in when one is found, or maybe just a sharpshooter with an M1 shoots it from a safe distance.

The little guys face no compulsion to do what they do. They are having fun seeking bananas......indirectly.

Reactions: jaydee

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The Giant African Pouched Rat is not a true rat. Giant pouched rat - Wikipedia. Interestingly, they can also be trained to detect tuberculosis in humans.

I have a tame pet rat, a Rattus norvegicus domestica, AKA the Asian brown rat. She is the hooded variety. There are also Rattus rattus, AKA the Black Roof rats. These are true rats. My rat comes when called and does tricks. She is very affectionate.

I also have a pet pack rat. It is not a Ratus, she belongs to the genus Neotoma. Although she looks like a rat she has a four teat udder like a cow, not the two rows of teats rats, dogs and pigs have. Their tails are covered with fur, not bare like rat's tails. Also, Pack Rats do not drink water. They will die of thirst next to a water dish in their cage. They evolved to get water from green shoots and fruits so she always has an apple available. In her large rabbit cage she has built a large 'midden' which is a mound of sticks and grass that pack rats live in. I had always wanted a pack rat ever since I read about them as a child. Then several years ago I was at my cabin in Oregon, opened the silverware drawer and there she was looking up at me. Also, 2 forks were missing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't share very well do they? hee

Well, no wonder you were bothered by the possibility of them ending with a bang.

I did watch a few other videos and they are very bonded with their handlers so appeared to be well cared for.s

Apparently there are millions of mines in various countries that are making a lot of land unusable.

I should have put this in the general topic sub-forum.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Unfortunately, Giant African Pouched rats are not allowed in the US.

That smaller rat that dragged away the pizza at top speed- I wish I could teach my horse to back like that. The smaller, blackish rat was probably Ratus ratus, and the other larger brown one was a Ratus norvegicus.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts