The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my farrier gave me two tickets to a Clinton Anderson clinic in a couple of weeks (April 10-11) and I was just kinda wondering about what people who've gone to one have thought...

I'm not really a fan of him in general but I like to be familiar with different approaches to everything so I think I'm going to go just for kicks... However, I don't really want to go if I'm just gonna come away feeling mad since I've heard that he's kinda rough with the horses/people when he does clinics...

Basically, if you've gone to one, did you enjoy it? Did you come away with useful information? If you had the chance to go again, would you jump at the chance?

My BO is a huge Clinton Anderson fan so I invited her to go with me. I think I made her day. :lol:

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I've always liked CA but I have never seen him in a clinic. I have seen him a couple of times at expos, just the little short 1 hour demos. My opinion is, if you come away with even one little thing that you didn't know before than you are ahead. Go, but go with an open mind that is willing to learn. You must form your own opinions, don't let anyone else sway you to what is and isn't right. Good attitude to have in all things horsey IMO. :D Never pass up an opportunity to learn something

·
Registered
610 Posts
I can't imagine turning down an opportunity to see another method. Chances are there is at least one thing that you can use, but it's pretty likely that you'll find several tidbits. I have used the same Field trial trainer for 3 years and I had the opportunity to watch another trainer work once. It was amazing how I saw things differently. Really, their methods were similar, but the explanation the other guy gave cleared something up for me that I thought I was just too dumb to understand. I'd go just for the experience, and so that you can really know if you don't like him or not.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of what I was thinking I'll do. It never hurts to have more knowledge! And while pretty much nothing about his method works for Lacey, it's highly likely that I will come across a horse eventually that could seriously benefit from some of his stuff. If I can help one horse by knowing something, that's a good enough reason for me! =D

And I totally agree about watching various trainers train. There's always something to learn, whether it's what to never do and why to never do it, or whether it's something that is life changing. There's always something to learn, without a doubt. =)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Like with other trainers I like some of his methods not all though. I've watched his videos, the respect on ground (or something like that) is a nice one, but then I got problems solving (I believe) and that was kinda a rip off. But I think it's always helpful to see how trainer works "in person". It's also interesting to compare different trainers approaches. So no, you will not waste your time by going there. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I've seen him at his clinics and I enjoyed when he was actually working on a horse but I didn't enjoy all the giveaway junk and the sales pitches. I learned a bit and had a good time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.