The Horse Forum banner

381 - 394 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've found his methods work like a CHARM with pushy/spoiled/confident horses. I didn't have as much luck with the more timid horse I worked with; I had to have a much softer approach than what CA teaches.
I really appreciate his humor because he makes those boring groundwork DVDs pretty dang funny.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
I've found his methods work like a CHARM with pushy/spoiled/confident horses. I didn't have as much luck with the more timid horse I worked with; I had to have a much softer approach than what CA teaches.
This right here ^^^^^ highlights where I think ALL of these 'hotshot' trainers fall totally flat. Their clinics, DVDs, TV shows, etc, all show them working with the problem horses and using their methods to turn them around. They don't show them starting a youngster who hasn't been spoiled in some fashion or with a real timid and frightened horse where you have to really dial back the intensity. Most of the people who subscribe to these trainers (who only go to clinics and buy DVDs, not who actually go to say, Clinton's ranch and study for months) don't understand that the method is a series of steps and a framework, but each horse is different and needs their own approach. They think that CA or anyone else, is always just GOGOGOGOGOGO without any adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
22,870 Posts
This right here ^^^^^ highlights where I think ALL of these 'hotshot' trainers fall totally flat. Their clinics, DVDs, TV shows, etc, all show them working with the problem horses and using their methods to turn them around. They don't show them starting a youngster who hasn't been spoiled in some fashion or with a real timid and frightened horse
Agree with you mostly, but that, to name a few, I HAVE seen CA, PP, BB... & who's that other funny Australian guy everyone likes these days, me included?? - work with untrained or green horses. While they may or may not use tactics/principles that I agree with, IME they mostly DO adjust their approaches accordingly & try to explain why they do/don't do stuff with any given horse. Mostly, being all of the above, aside from CA. Granted I have only seen a couple of vids of him working greenies - went looking for some to see how he handled 'non problems' differently. The 'brumby challenge' or whatever he called it, sticks in my mind as just a terrifying, terrible eg all round, for the poor newly caught brumby, trapped in a round pen with CA in the centre 'chasing' him while he ran for his life & threw himself at the panels, trying to escape. Of course, finally he worked out he couldn't escape & gave up in the end.

I'd like to see any vids of CA behaving differently with horses, if anyone can direct me to one??

As for your comment above Fox, agreed, that most people who get into this stuff don't understand the subtleties, the timing, etc, so they often completely miss these vital factors. I do think that CA is good with timing. He IS good at what he does, at the approach he uses. I STILL don't like or agree with it myself tho ;-)

·
Administrator
35,680 Posts
Interesting to read some of the recent posts on this tread as I haven't looked at in a while but the current thread that mentions the importance of good 'role models' brought it back to my mind
A lot of riders and horseowners, especially newbies will latch on to the sort of people that loosie has just mention and adopt them as a role model and while I'm sure you can get some good training tips from many of them unless you actually know these people you have no clue what's going on behind the scenes, at their yards/barns etc.

·
Registered
938 Posts
who's that other funny Australian guy everyone likes these days, me included??
Are you talking about Guy McLean? Very gentle with the horses, but kind of a strange dude. Also employs a device that Houdini used in his magic. Houdini would have himself locked in a safe and break out, rather than trying to break in. He was counting on the audience not really considering the possibility that breakout out was much easier. McLean does a lot of amazing work from horseback with multiple horses, but it's more of a circus performance than a training technique. But I've only seen him live once.

I'd like to see any vids of CA behaving differently with horses, if anyone can direct me to one??
Yeah, watch all 28 hours of his colt starting kit. He's working with a Mustang and spends a lot of time explaining that particular horse's nature and describing how he would be doing things differently if the horse reacted a different way.

The real problem with CA's stuff is that both critics and followers tend to pay way too much attention to his on line stuff, which is nothing but an advertisement, and not enough to the material he sells, which is much too detailed and boring for a 30 minutes TV episode or youtube. But until you watch a few hours of his colt starting or fundamentals DVDs, you really don't have good handle on what he teaches.

·
Registered
48,598 Posts
well, it's a shame that he misrepresents himself thusly. I'm gonna make a judgement based on the many loud videos I see online. it's only natural.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The real problem with CA's stuff is that both critics and followers tend to pay way too much attention to his on line stuff, which is nothing but an advertisement, and not enough to the material he sells, which is much too detailed and boring for a 30 minutes TV episode or youtube. But until you watch a few hours of his colt starting or fundamentals DVDs, you really don't have good handle on what he teaches.
This exactly.

Even the Horsemanship 101 DVD series is 6 DVDs long.

I've seen quite a few similar types of videos where they guy admonishes the viewer to tie their horse correctly but can't be bothered to even mention a single knot to look up let alone show.

Clinton Anderson's biggest strength whether you like him or not is that he likes to talk, and likes explaining things in detail.

·
Super Moderator
22,870 Posts
Are you talking about Guy McLean? Very gentle with the horses, but kind of a strange dude. Also employs a device that Houdini used in his magic. Houdini would have himself locked in a safe and break out, rather than trying to break in. He was counting on the audience not really considering the possibility that breakout out was much easier. McLean does a lot of amazing work from horseback with multiple horses, but it's more of a circus performance than a training technique. But I've only seen him live once.
Warwick Schiller is the name I couldn't think of. But yeah, Guy McLean's pretty special too. Is he well known outside Oz? Yeah, amazing showman, seen him live a couple of times, but I have watched his teaching vids, when he's not focussing on 'circus tricks'. I like his style.

The real problem with CA's stuff is that both critics and followers tend to pay way too much attention to his on line stuff, which is nothing but an advertisement, and not enough to the material he sells
And the trouble with that tho is that if his 'advertisements' are like that, there's no way I'd be spending good money on his other stuff. While I absolutely get that most of his online stuff is dealing with 'spoilt' horses & he's putting on a show, his 'advertisement' for dealing with that terrified, wild brumby was particularly... off putting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll keep this short and sweet

I love CA's method. I use it with both my Miniature Horse yearling stud and my experienced Paint/Arabian gelding and they both respond to it wonderfully. I also used it for my last 3 foals, and the 2 year old stud I had at the time. They also responded amazingly. However, the rescue mare I had did not respond well to it. In her past somewhere before a I got her, somebody had been too rough and direct with her. I had to adapt to her and make everything soft and slow and as non-threatening as possible or she would chuck her brain right out the window and as far as she was concerned I could follow it out.

My point is this; In my opinion, with the experience that I have personally had with his method, it will work on 9 out of 10 horses. But, like with any method, there will always be that one horse that it doesn't work for. And any good trainer will be able to adapt to the horse, regardless of their 'method'. Is Clinton a good trainer? Yes. Is his way the only good way? No!
Do what works for you, but more importantly DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR HORSE!
:D

381 - 394 of 394 Posts