The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to buy some clippers before show season starts and I'm wondering what would be the best kind? I have never bought any clippers before so I don't really know what kind are good. I'm not looking to pay anymore than $250 witch in my mind should get me some nice clippers. I just need them for doing to face clipping and around the feet, Onyx is very ear shy (I have been able to clip his nose, but not the ears) so I really want to find the quietest clippers possible, and I want something small but will get the job done. Thanks for you help guys!!!! If anyone has any used clippers for sale feel free to pm me also.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I'm curious to hear the opinions as well. So far I havn't seen anything too quiet on the market. I'm thinking about using scissors on Jemma's ears - month of work with the quietest clippers I could find (small ones) still didn't desensitize her to the sound.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My favorite clippers are Oster PowerPro Ultras. They're cordless (which makes it so much easier to use) but pretty powerful. I wouldn't body clip with them but they do everything else easily, legs, bridlepaths, etc. Comes with 2 batteries, a charger, in this nice little suitcase like carrier. They're ~$200 and worth every penny.

My other favorite are good old A5s. Good classic clippers. I don't think they come cordless but they are wonderful!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Also these are great in a pinch for bridle paths for horses you don't have time to get used to noisy clippers and they work great, and are the equivalent of a 30 blade Product Image
I was asking for opinions on that one before and didn't get really good ones. Also Dover people said they are not good to use on ears as they may pull. I never tried them though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just recently purchased Wahl Chromado Equine Clipper for $130 from the FactoryOutletStore.com and they are FANTASTIC! I just used them to clip whiskers, bridle path, feet and up the back ankles (to keep mud fever at bay) and they worked beautifully. Just blitzed thru the bridle path - and previously the little name brand battery clippers I used had baby it the whole time. It's both corded or cordless, keeps a 90 min charge, comes w/ 4 attachments plus it has 5 positions on the clipper itself that you just move the switch to change depth. AWESOME!! I'm in love!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Oster A5 Golden 2 speed clippers and they are very nice....but probably not quiet enough if you are looking for something as quiet as possible.

A friend of mine has the Oster A5 Turbo clippers and they are nice as well..... but again, not super quiet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the opinions guys!! I will see what I can find, i guess I could just not clip his ears if it comes to that but most judge's around here will mark you down in halter classes if the ear's are not clipped... :-/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.