The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started clipping tonight and I'll finish tomorrow. I'm deciding how I want to finish the clip. Unfortunately, the only pictures I could get were pretty dark and low quality.

I know I want to keep the saddle pad trace. I should keep his neck unclipped because he doesn't wear a hood outside. His heavier turnout blanket has a bellyband, so there's not much better showing under there.

Beyond that, what are some opinions? How should I finish? How low on his legs and belly? How far back beyond end of the saddle pad?

Without further ado, the pictures:

Left side

Right side

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You can clip a horse's neck, even if they don't wear a hood. As long as their core is warm, their neck will be fine.

I think it looks really good!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My clip is way different than yours, but you can do whatever you want!

I like his front legs how they are.
if you wanted to clip his girth area I would think you'd have to clip of a lot of his belly hair off.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,272 Posts
He is your horse so clip him as you wish and what will make him comfortable and you happiest....
That said...
Legs... if you want to do legs it is common to clip along the top of the leg just under where the shoulder/front leg muscle is at an angle, higher in the front slanting down in the back but not much.
His hind legs also follow the muscling line and are clipped also just under it, angled from stifle high to lower at the back part of the leg.
Leave his legs covered as much as possible so he has the most protection when outside.

His neck...if you were to clip just the center of the underneath, under his jowl/jaw and then about 1"-2" either side of the windpipe/esophagus...this is a common area for sweating and this small amount clipped would allow a faster cool-out and drying time to his body without again exposing so much of him to weather extremes.

If I was going to do anything more...I would extend the line you started on his barrel to the back of his flanks, straight across.
Another common area of sweating is the stifle up to the loin region...but you would do best to not clip the loin area nor the back itself to allow those muscles the extra warmth so no chill to crucial muscles and a organs hopefully.
I would leave as much covered as possible to avoid that chill they can get but also remove enough to assure that quicker cool and dry time...a tough decision of how much more do you do or just leave it.

Remember you can always take more off but not easily glue it back on if you get to clip happy...

You have a beautiful horse and have done a unique but workable clip...why not try it first and see how he acclimates to his new hair-do...then tweak it as needed and only if needed...
:wink:

jmo...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.