The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey horsey folks,
I hope everyone (who celebrates) had a very Happy Easter. I found a video on YouTube about clipping and was wondering for the type of clipping the dock area of the tail. What brand/type of clippers should I use for this?

(Tail Part 6:15 to 7:12/15)

Also, when my old boy Rusty was here on Earth with me I would bath him with shampoo the was apple scented it was his favorite. But now I can't find it anywhere-Anyone else use this? Thank you.

Super Moderator
You're referring to clipping the tail itself at the dock area like polo ponies have done?
Otherwise "pluck" not clip if you need to tone down the bushiness of the tail head area...

Either way, a medium to heavier duty clipper is all I would ever use on the tail only when needed.
I would much rather pull, selectively pluck than clip...
I am a Oster user so it would be Oster A5 clipper with a dual speed motor or turbo.
Tail hair is very coarse and not easily clipped or trimmed by machine so you need more power but maneuverability to get in smaller spaces, not ding the sensitive anus area and you do not want to shave to the bone so pick your blade carefully to not scalp the poor animal!!
I'm sure there are other brands that could do a similar job but I have A5 clippers and not going to spend $$$ for something to try when mine work perfectly after 20 years yet...
And corded to me is the only way to have consistent power and results cause power {corded} doesn't lose oomph as the battery wanes..
Good luck and let us know and see what exactly your intention to clip and design is.
馃惔...

Super Moderator
Proceed with caution...that skin is far more vulnerable than many realize to sun rays reaching that that should be covered.

I am not a fan of clipping the top...
I'm "old-fashioned" and reduce bulk and mass by plucking or pulling not clipping.
The bad part is when it starts to grow out it can be like a wire brush and really irritate the horse in that area..
You need to be really talented with a clipper to taper and blend yet be able to still braid when appropriate for shows as classes dictate. 馃槓
馃惔...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts