The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got some clippers and I need to give my filly a clip. I worked on some desensitizing and did clip her a bit, but it's harder/trickier than I orginally though it was going to be. I've never clipped a horse before, so I'd love any tips you guys have!
Currently I'm going for a bib clip but have also been considering a trace clip. Then, once we have stable warm weather, going for an almost full body clip. So any tips for how to clip horses properly would be greatly appreciated!

Reasons for clipping:
Figured I'd include this for any of you who are curious.
Melody has been getting too warm to the point of rubbing her own hair out to be able to cool down. I would have done this sooner, but we were going to be getting a super cold snap. Now that it's over and our temps are above freezing, she's starting to get warm again. So I want to clip her before she starts rubbing her hair out too badly again.
Also, due to the missing fur patches on her back (from the 2 older geldings getting after a bit), I figured I'd do a full body clip later so that all her fur comes in at the same length and minimize how patchy it looks.

This is the full body kind of clip I'm talking about

And this is what my filly currently looks like due to her rubbing her hair out previously + the chunk of fur missing on her back.

First pic is after the minor clean up trim I did today

Super Moderator
Ummm...she's shedding not only her winter coat but her baby coat at the same time it looks like.
I don't like the look on her back and proceed with caution as that from the angle appears it could be painful & sensitive.

Being you are in Canada, I'm going to think your winter is far from over by looks of the ground I would be very careful how close you crop off her hair with those clippers....
To me, you already did her throat area and it is to short and she has no protection from the still cold air of nights and days you get...blanket carefully cause you are removing mother nature's protection you now must take responsibility for keeping the animal properly covered in all weather snow, rain, sleet or whatever and suitable warm.

Measure what you want and chalk line her so you have specific lines or you will not have even distances guaranteed on her body.
Remove as little as you must for her benefit and health.

What number blade are you using to clip her as thinking this is a A5 style machine?
Guessing a #10 blade as all think that is fantastic....:rolleyes:
A T84 blade would be a bit longer coat left, makes her more comfortable, her coat and skin not appear "scalped" ...
Take only what you must, leave the rest alone...she's yet a baby and unless she sweats profusely and not dry in a reasonable amount of time she needs her fur-coat yet.
A #5 or #7 would be a bit longer coat left and soften the appearance of "scalped" I see on her under-throat area.
Wider the blade used the less long strokes need done when you clip....
I might consider the #5 or #7 and go with the coat not against it to lighten the hair but not remove it...
Even whatever it is you are using now...try going with the coat and see how much is removed and if it helps removing some of the fluff but not stealing it all to baldness in comparison.

So, I don't see you evening out the look ater, just let her shed naturally her back and body as her summer coat was already growing in with the longer days, hence the itchy she is demonstrating...
You can full body clip or any variation of clip at any time of the year but do be aware when clipped to short the animal chills or gets cold, they sunburn and if to close they get razor burn and darn if it not hurt them same as we can get...be cautious and careful.
馃惔...jmo...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm...she's shedding not only her winter coat but her baby coat at the same time it looks like.
I don't like the look on her back and proceed with caution as that from the angle appears it could be painful & sensitive.

Being you are in Canada, I'm going to think your winter is far from over by looks of the ground I would be very careful how close you crop off her hair with those clippers....
To me, you already did her throat area and it is to short and she has no protection from the still cold air of nights and days you get...blanket carefully cause you are removing mother nature's protection you now must take responsibility for keeping the animal properly covered in all weather snow, rain, sleet or whatever and suitable warm.

Measure what you want and chalk line her so you have specific lines or you will not have even distances guaranteed on her body.
Remove as little as you must for her benefit and health.

What number blade are you using to clip her as thinking this is a A5 style machine?
Guessing a #10 blade as all think that is fantastic....:rolleyes:
A T84 blade would be a bit longer coat left, makes her more comfortable, her coat and skin not appear "scalped" ...
Take only what you must, leave the rest alone...she's yet a baby and unless she sweats profusely and not dry in a reasonable amount of time she needs her fur-coat yet.
A #5 or #7 would be a bit longer coat left and soften the appearance of "scalped" I see on her under-throat area.
Wider the blade used the less long strokes need done when you clip....
I might consider the #5 or #7 and go with the coat not against it to lighten the hair but not remove it...
Even whatever it is you are using now...try going with the coat and see how much is removed and if it helps removing some of the fluff but not stealing it all to baldness in comparison.

So, I don't see you evening out the look ater, just let her shed naturally her back and body as her summer coat was already growing in with the longer days, hence the itchy she is demonstrating...
You can full body clip or any variation of clip at any time of the year but do be aware when clipped to short the animal chills or gets cold, they sunburn and if to close they get razor burn and darn if it not hurt them same as we can get...be cautious and careful.
馃惔...jmo...

Thanks for the helpful tips! Didn't realize there were so many different types of blades. I got a second hand clipper and it only came with the one blade but 2 different guards and I used the longest one on that.

The spot on her back is not painful. She actually enjoys scratches on and around that spot. The fur has started growing back there at this stage, just haven't gotten a picture and it's not too noticeable yet either unless you run your hand over it.

I live a little farther south in Canada and we're actually in the last month to month and a half of winter so it's almost over. She started rubbing her own hair out and continuing to do so from November through to the beginning of January. She stopped only when the temps got to -30 C and below. Also, she'd rubbed her coat off right to her skin previously, leaving no hair behind at all. These pictures are after I let it grow back a bit during the cold spell. I also kept an eye on her and she was completely unfazed during our short cold spell. Now she's getting hot again and I'd rather not have her rub her hair off to the point of just skin being visible, hence why the clipping.
And I am going to make sure to have a blanket on hand should she need it.

Super Moderator
Vitamin E creme is a soothing balm you can apply to her balding spots.
It will be soothing to her itchy skin...
I am unsure if you were to apply it on her back if she could sunburn easier because of it as some products enhance burning..you would need checking on that.
It is said to promote skin repair and hair regrowth.
I used it on horses shoulder points under blankets to help heal the chafe....that or baby oil, but prefer the Vit E creme...
Maybe if the skin is enriched with moisture she might stop some of the scratch/rubbing she is doing but through that thick coat not sure how to get it to skin level of application...
I know when I had knee surgery my team of therapists used it on the healing scar to help moisten, stop the incessant itch.
馃惔...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.