The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this forum but would appreciate some info from experienced horse people.
I'm selling an English saddle but don't know the difference between a close contact and an all purpose. How do you differentiate?
It's my daughter's saddle and she's away right now.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Under "go advanced" right under the text box, click on it and it will bring you to another response drafting page.. from there "manage attachments" should allow you to upload a photo.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It depends on your definition of 'close contact'.

From previous forum posts, the US idea of CC is, basically, a jumping saddle. In this respect yours is an AP (or GP - General Purpose - in UK terminology) since the flap is a lot straighter cut than a traditional jumping saddle would be.

Technically, though, CC refers to the saddle panel, not the discipline it's to be used for, and describes a slim and often shallow panel which sits the saddle tree, and hence the rider, closer to the horse. These were originally designed for competition use and therefore are not always ideal for general riding - the minimalist panel can allow the horse to feel more pressure from the saddle over an extended period of time.

I've seen all manner of saddle types with CC panels (most often foam filled) and it's hard to tell from the picture what yours is.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might look under the small flap (where the stirrup leathers attach) and see if anything is printed there. If no branding or anything is there, check under the bigger saddle flap. Be sure to check both sides. Hopefully you can find a serial#, a brand, or a model of some sort. Perhaps we can help you find out what you should be calling this saddle when you aim to sell it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.