The Horse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the market for a cc saddle for my horse. I have a well fitting mansion house (old albion) dressage saddle, and had a decently fitting nice (old hdr) ap saddle in the past, but it ended up being too wide for him.

Any recommendations?

Super Moderator
Crosby Soverign
Stubben Rex

Those might, might be a place to start. They are also a middle of the road in seat depth, offer good support to rider and comfort to the horse.
With how his left shoulder is shaped its going to need a shimmed pad or be flocked to sit and not twist off his spine.
If you want "new," no idea.
I'm not into the adjustable tree stuff...problem with them not many truly understand is you changed width of the head, but the rest of the gullet is not accommodating and fitting as it should...
I think a older, used good condition spring tree may be very forgiving of the back/shoulder anatomy and work for you.
Good luck.
馃惔...

Reactions: boots

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crosby Soverign
Stubben Rex

Those might, might be a place to start. They are also a middle of the road in seat depth, offer good support to rider and comfort to the horse.
With how his left shoulder is shaped its going to need a shimmed pad or be flocked to sit and not twist off his spine.
If you want "new," no idea.
I'm not into the adjustable tree stuff...problem with them not many truly understand is you changed width of the head, but the rest of the gullet is not accommodating and fitting as it should...
I think a older, used good condition spring tree may be very forgiving of the back/shoulder anatomy and work for you.
Good luck.
馃惔...
I actually had my eye on a few crosbys... I'll see if I can follow up on them.

Do you really think a spring tree would be good to try? They all look so narrow from the pictures, I've been scared to try them. However, there's someone around me with a County no4 fit for sale for around 150$. That's supposed to be one of their wider fits, and a lot of trainers I know really love county saddles. But they look so narrow! Do they really "spring" out enough to accommodate the width of the back without squishing down completely?

Also, I wasn't very clear in my post, but I'm definitely not in the market for a brand new saddle. I don't know of any brand new saddles that would fit my horse, even if my budget would allow for it. It's all used for me.

Registered
Voodoo, Gypsy Vanner weanling; Malmsey, 15 yo arabxwelsh
I second Crosby's. For one, they are older and easier to find used. I have had mine about 12 years and I love it. You just can't get a saddle like a Crosby anymore. I have a similar saddle-fitting issue with my budget. Which is 0. So, I bought a shimmable half-pad and 3 cushy AP pads to switch out, so I always have a cushy one available. The shimmable half-pads are nice because it looks like your horse is lacking muscle in his back, which is is why his belly looked "dropped". My mare had the exact same thing. So the shimmable half-pad allows you to adjust as your horse muscles up. I know its not a fix for an ill-fitting saddle, but not everyone can just go buy a saddle out of the blue, whenever they would wish to! I would also suggest getting a breatplate, so that your saddle is sure to stay put!

Super Moderator
I'm honestly not sure if the spring tree in County is the same as in Crosby or Stubben...
@unclearthur will know I bet.

Even when I bought my saddle which is a spring tree there were choices or "regular or wide"...
Again, I will put that to unclearthur for his insight and comment from a professional saddler who has held those bare trees in his hand when refurbishing and would know far better than I.

I did call @unclearthur here...hopefully it will be a good comment or a constructive one and other options he envisions fitting well for you.

Ratlady... How old is your horse?
He/she is beautiful...what a gorgeous coat! :)
馃惔 ...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
馃惔 ...
He's a 13 year old morgan/QH. He's definitely not going to be doing growing aside from seasonal muscle changes.

The morgan/qh cross has made him very sound and sensible, but quite the odd shape. The narrow shoulders and well sprung ribcage almost reminds me of a mule.

I wish I could tell you that I work very hard for that shiny coat, but no. I hardly ever brush him, as awful as that sounds. He just stays glossy as long as he hasn't rolled in mud.

Super Moderator
@QtrBel
You have some sofa appearing backs that you fit with cc saddles.... :unsure:

What have everyone used that works that might be options for this member?

@carshon you've had a variety of horses...ideas??

@jaydee ..broad backs are common with where you come from...

@boots ....you dealt with polo ponies. Any suggestions?

@tinyliny ...any ideas?

Administrator
I really like my Ideal saddle, they鈥檙e British and I did bring mine over with me but you can get them in the US.

The UK has historically had the broader backed breeds, like the Irish Draught, as riding horses, plus the cob types and traditional hunter types that are such popular show horses, they tend to cater better for those wider backs.

There is a small company in CT called Smith Worthington who do a good range of saddles that suit a broader back horse

I use a Kent and Masters saddle on our widest horse who鈥檚 built like a Clydesdale but only 15.1.

Super Moderator
In polo, some TBs are narrow in front. We have the advantage of not using shaped English pads. Most use Argentine style woven rugs. Similar to western woven ones.

On those horses we fold the front of the rug/pad back 4". To my thinking it's kind of a reverse riser. That probably won't work in your discipline, though.

An aside: My daughter had a bay Morgan. The mare has natural dapples and shine. Meanwhile, I have to really work on my TB to get similar results. That's okay. Mine is ten times the horse. :LOL: She won't see this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up buying an older crosby saddle for my horse. Being an ebay find, I'll only find out whether it fits or not when it arrives in about a week. But considering I got it for 75$, I shouldn't have a hard time getting my money back if it doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions! It sure beats going into saddle shopping blind.

Registered
I'm honestly not sure if the spring tree in County is the same as in Crosby or Stubben...
@unclearthur will know I bet.

Even when I bought my saddle which is a spring tree there were choices or "regular or wide"...
Again, I will put that to unclearthur for his insight and comment from a professional saddler who has held those bare trees in his hand when refurbishing and would know far better than I.

I did call @unclearthur here...hopefully it will be a good comment or a constructive one and other options he envisions fitting well for you.

馃惔 ...
No idea whether they're the same, sorry, except it won't be a Stubben tree. Crosby and County used UK made trees with a British Standard number stamped on the stirrup bar, but they could easily have come from different independent tree makers.

There's a lot of misinformation around ref Spring Trees. I'd say more than 90% of English saddles made since the 1980s have one - you should be able to tell if you place the front of the saddle against your chest, hold one side of the cantle end in each hand and twist it from side to side. If it flexes and springs back, it's a spring tree (or plastic). If it doesn't move it's a rigid tree (still pretty common in polo saddles). Spring trees don't make the saddle more comfortable for the horse but for the rider, and the tree won't flex up or down to any great degree so can't accommodate varying back profiles.

CC means something entirely different in the UK from the US - basically it's a narrow, shallow panel designed for competition saddles which doesn't translate well into a general-use saddle panel. More pounds-per-square-inch on the horse and less fitting flexibility because generic 'competition riders' are expected to use pads. CC in US parlance seems to be any Event or Jumping saddle, whatever the panel construction.

Fit-wise, I think your horse looks at least a Wide in the rear pic and XW from the side. Hard to tell from the pics because the offside shoulder looks different in both views so perhaps the horse wasn't stood quite square?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think the crosby I got will work, and it certainly won't work without a rear riser which I'm already skeptical about using... It fits alright at the wither once I sit in the saddle, but it lifts up at the back something fierce.

At this rate I might try buying a new tekna, since many sellers offer test rides unlike when I buy a used saddle from ebay. The problem will be finding a tekna saddle in the US...

Super Moderator
Saddle trial program available ....
https://www.statelinetack.com/content/saddles/test-ride-program/

This business use to have a trial saddle program years ago, today not sure of that...
There is a saddle out their for you and your horse to ride together in comfort...;)
馃惔...

Registered
I am not an English guru by any means but I have been so impressed by the Tad Coffin jumping saddle I have with the A5 tree. It literally fits all my horses (which I cannot say for my western saddles!!) Even sweat marks, even feel of the tree. Perhaps it helps that I do use the Tad Coffin leather half pad that came with it.

Its the one and only English saddle I have ever owned.
I was also very lucky to find a steal of a deal on a very nice used one, because lord knows I would never pay the $6000 price tag for a new one. o_O

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How are courbette saddles? I've heard great things about collegiates, but not much about courbettes.

I'm very tempted to pick one up, since the width of this tree looks identical to the width of my dressage saddle tree. It looks like it'll fit the withers, which is honestly the hardest part about fitting my horse.

I know eyeballing it isn't the most scientific form of measurement, but I've found a few well fitting saddles that way so it must not be that bad.

I've attached pictures of my saddle (dark dressage saddle) and the courbette (lighter saddle) of anyone else wants to be the judge.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
I have two SW event saddles and two Collegiate Senior Event (RuizDiaz). One of each is med and one of each is wide. They fit a wide range of horses. I'm loving the SW spring trees. For the mare that is narrow through the shoulder with a well sprung rib I have a shimmable thinline that works perfect for her that works with either the Collegiate or SW. Price wise both Collegiates were under $500. I found one of the SW online at a consignment tack shop (Pelham - excellent customer service) and got a sweet deal on the second through SW. They were still quite a bit more than the Collegiate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts