The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose I don't understand why all the threads get closed as soon as there is a disagreement? Bare with me this is all opinionated, and I don't know if anyone agrees or not.

I think by closing a thread every time there is a debate or possibly /rude?/ comment(s) just increases the tension. I don't know why but there is SO much tension in this forum. Yes, alot of the times the threads can get heated, that is just to be expected when a bunch of horse people get together :lol:

I feel like none of us can get what we really want to say out because the threads are so regulated. We can't always be all rainbows and unicorns when it comes to our opinion, we have to be realistic. I think reality is what people don't want to hear and that's when the thread gets out of control and should be laid down to rest.

To me, it gives me a limited amount of topics that can be talked about because I feel that free speech isn't fully tolerated. That doesn't mean we should drop the f*bomb every two words, but.. it gives the impression that either the forum is so unfriendly it needs a massive list of restrictions (which it doesn't), or that free speech is not particularly tolerated.

I guess I'd like to see the threads not be closed so easy/fast because if there are 20 people saying one thing against one person saying another than obviously that one person should rethink what he/she posted and learn from it.?.? If I happened to be that one person than I would probably be mad at first, yes, but I would re-read and look back at the posts to hopefully go, "OMG, what was I thinking? I'm glad people were being realistic and telling the truth because now I know what has to be done."

Then again alot of people will do the, "I'm right, you're wrong" thing and it would just be a mess. We all need to be more open and take constructive criticism, even me.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
I
To me, it gives me a limited amount of topics that can be talked about because I feel that free speech isn't fully tolerated.

Free speech comes with responsibilities. If you feel your "free speech" has been limited then you should take it up with a mod or admin.

This is not HGS and their rainbows and butterflies where you feel you will be negative repped if you even disagree and it isn't the dictatorship that is Horsetopia were you are banned for saying that a swaybacked mare should not be bred to a cow hocked stallion ( probably the Mod's stud too) and people don't realize that this is one of the better run, administrated forum around.

You have no idea of just what can be found around the net so I wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I by no means feel that it has been limited just to me. Nor, in no way, shape, or form, am I saying that this is the worst forum. There's always room for improvement :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Okay. There are a few reasons why this happens.

Some people on this forum, whilst they may have the best intentions, aren't particularly...nice about what they have to say. When people write, the intention of their words can be lost and the other person may take it the wrong way. They may retaliate and that can cause argument. The Moderaters follow the conversations and try to "keep the peace", so that we don't get situations such as the 20 people ganging up on one. Just because twenty people say it, that doesn't make it right or true.

If twenty people gang up on one, THAT is restricting free speech, because that one person is being told repeatedly that they are wrong. It shouldn't matter. They have the right to say what they want without another twenty people jumping down their thought. There is constructive criticism and then there is just criticism.

Every person has their methods and things that work for them. The idea of a forum is to share your ideas equally. Take the example of someone asking for training help. Say there is twenty people saying to do it one way, and one person who says to do it another way. Just because there is only one person saying does not make it wrong. Perhaps their technique works for them. If it is not overtly cruel, then people have a right to share what they have to say.

If people restricted themselves to answering the first post and either agreeing or disagreeing with other users, rather than criticising other users for their opinions, then the forum would probably not close threads down so quickly.

Do you see what I mean?? =) People assume they can be disrespectful because they will never meet the other person.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I think that when a thread gets closed, it's usually because it's not really going anywhere anymore. Just a lot of the same ol' criticism repeating itself and people getting more heated about it. Usually I drop out anyway before it gets to that point. I have better things to do than listen to (read from) people who are agitated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fully understand where you're coming from. I guess I just grew up in the part of town where you have to have thick skin otherwise you won't make it anywhere. People just seem to get their panties in a bunch when something harmless was said.

There is always going to be disagreements no matter where/what you do in life. And no matter who you talk to. But in real life you can't just be in the middle of a conversation/disagreement and then in the middle of it have some person walk up and go,"Ohh, too bad this is getting too heated, we're going to have to ask you to walk away", it doesn't work like that. Some situations it's needed but I feel that it's overly used.

Probably no one will agree with me, oh well :wink:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that when a thread gets closed, it's usually because it's not really going anywhere anymore. Just a lot of the same ol' criticism repeating itself and people getting more heated about it. Usually I drop out anyway before it gets to that point. I have better things to do than listen to (read from) people who are agitated.
I agree. Personally I would just leave it open and let them talk it out until one of them gets so bored that they don't want or care about arguing anymore. I just think by closing them it's bundling up everyones energy/frustrated-ness??

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I guess I'd like to see the threads not be closed so easy/fast because if there are 20 people saying one thing against one person saying another than obviously that one person should rethink what he/she posted and learn from it.?.?
Really? Once upon a time there were thousands of people who swore black and blue the earth was flat. One said it was not. Thankfully he didn't rethink his idea and go 'What was I thinking!'.

I'm sorry you feel tension on this forum - I certainly don't. The only time I feel tension is occasionally in the breeding section - And I think if the OP's thought for a while about what they were posting then those arguments wouldn't happen as often. Those who feel like they are being targeted or attacked should look to themselves - most people who put thought, effort and time into their posts/threads don't receive any negative remarks/feelings.

I hate when a thread gets closed but that's just because I like reading all the hissy and increasingly belligerant posts :] I have normally bowed out by the time it gets to that point and just keep reading for entertainment.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
But in real life you can't just be in the middle of a conversation/disagreement and then in the middle of it have some person walk up and go,"Ohh, too bad this is getting too heated, we're going to have to ask you to walk away", it doesn't work like that.
Actually, that's exactly what cops do. If you get in a screaming match with your neighbor, chances are really good that another neighbor who doesn't want to listen to the two of you screaming, will call the cops and they'll show up and tell you "that's enough, now move along".

I moderate a forum with 2,500 active members and I was a member long before I became a moderator. I had no idea what all goes on amongst the various members until *I* had to deal with it all. What you see on a message board as a viewer may not necessarily be all that happened. People disagree and then sent violent, threatening PM's to each other, they find them on Facebook/Myspace or wherever and send them nasty messages there, have all their friends gang up and send rude messages or just gossip for hours on end about someone they've never even met! :shock: I created the profanity filter for the message board I moderate, I had no idea there were SO many foul words out there, I missed a good 85% of them and had to add them as people USED them towards each other! Moderating a busy board isn't a easy task and sometimes threads just need to be closed before they hit the point of all out insanity and rudeness.

·
Super Moderator
27,305 Posts
The Horseforum Team tries hard to leave threads intact and open. In an attempt to allow the members as much freedom in speech, choice of topics, discussions, etc, a Conscienctious ettiquette policy was created, however as topics ran hotter and responses got bolder, there was a need to create Forum rules to go along wiht the ettiquette policy. This forum is PG-rated so quite often posts are edited for language. One of the rules that is most often ignored or overlooked is:

2- No cursing, profanity, swearing, or comments said with the intent of hurting another user.
This includes, but is not limited to racial slurs and comments about another users religion or country. You may not flame another user because of their beliefs, training methods, or anything else. Furthermore, if you have an issue with another user do not bring it to the public forums. Settle your dispute in private or contact a Moderator.

Obviously the moment someone includes swear words in a post, tempers will flare. Another big offender is this rule:

7- Respect your fellow members.
Please respect all members and their beliefs. Sometimes people think it is ok to criticize someone based on their training methods or riding style. This boils down to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". If someone posts about jumping 3 feet for the first time, and you don't like jumping, then ignore the post. On the other hand, if someone posts a thread saying that their training method is the best, you -do- have the right to respectfully disagree with them in a kind, non attacking way.

While it is very understandable, it's just not acceptable. Sometimes the thread just has to get locked. It's definitely not what we want to do here.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I personally don't see any harm in just letting people go on forever. It's nothing to me if they want to scream at each other. Those of us that don't want to see it, don't have to.

I get bored reading the same things over and over. When a debate thread goes on for too long I think some people type before/without reading everything for the same reason. But then they are missing information, so the debate gets worse and then, as wild_spot says, it can make for some cheap entertainment! (Where's my beer and chips?)

Edited to add: Ater reading farmpony's post I just thought of a good reason to close a thread: sometimes the very agressive poster can actually push a valued contributing member away and then we all loose out. So, I'm glad I never have to make those decisions. Kudos to the mods!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I agree with you in a way. I think that threads are closed a lot of times to fast on here. There are certain mods on here who will close one almost as soon as there are differences of opinion, but there are others that will let it play out as long as it is respectful. I have read debates here where I have learned something on both sides of the argument. I don't think wether or not a post is closed should be determined by how many agree on the topic. This is after all, a public forum. Anyone who posts should be aware that there may be people who do not agree with them. I think mods should keep this in mind and only close those threads that get nasty. and no, a difference of opinions is NOT bad and a thread should not be closed base on that.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's where it gets weird. Alot of people take what is said the wrong way and anything/everything offends them. -sigh- there is no winning, ever. Most of the threads I see that get closed no one used any profanity. Most of the time people try to be nice and "civil" at first, but I think you can only be nice for so long.. I don't know where I was going with this thread.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Alot of people take what is said the wrong way and anything/everything offends them.

Yeah I know the type of person you mean, but it should be made clear to all members that if you post something (anything) on a public forum you are subjecting yourself to the opinions of the public. Doesn't the OP have any responsibility when it comes to posting? Are they not aware that their posts are public and that people are allowed to express their differences of opinion? Sometimes we have really great educational debates on this forum, there are other times that a mere difference of a opinion will get a thread closed. I think a lot of the mods are fair, but there are a couple who will close a thread with the slightest disagreement. I think that is wrong.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Most of the threads I have seen get closed were due to fact that they stopped being productive. When a thread stops being about what the OP posted or when it is nothing more than 2 or 3 members just slinging insults or fruitless arguments back and forth then it is doing nothing more than fueling bad blood between members and making the entire forum look bad. It is possible to be blunt with a person and tell them your opinion and still be respectful and curteous at the same time. That's what this forum encourages, not fluffy bunnies and butterflies but enough respect for yourself and everyone else to conduct yourself in a mature manner.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree with you White Foot, whole heartedly. But then again, I do have a thicker skin, strong opinion, and have a big tendency to stick to my position no matter what unless I can find the logic behind what another person is saying... Most of the time not though. Sometimes in the past it has made me even more aggravated at another member when we cannot just get our differences out, when the thread is shut down...like when you put two dogs on either side of a fence because they want to kill each other, sure they cant hurt each other through the fence, but that makes them want to do it even more...

I also think that every single topic that will ever be posted on this or any forum has been neaten to death, so what if one is more than others? Inst that how people are educated? Repetition. I think it is childish to come in on a big heated debate and go "blah blah blah, this is so over used and blah blah you are all immature for not thinking the way all of us do..." That is what I think should be moderated more than anything, that is what doesn't help anyone, the complainers that have no real advice t give but want to whine about how overused a topic is in their opinion. What some see as a big insult slinging argument, could really be just a way for twop clashing members to resolve their differences and learn from one another. Maybe there could be a "dispute resolution" center set up, that way two or more members with a problem can go to a mod and be placed ona private thread to duke it out and get things sorted...just an idea...

This is just my opinion. I love this forum and 99% of the people on it even the younger kiddies are ok sometimes(lol jkjk). I think this is a great forum, one of the best horse themed ones out there. I think mike and the mods do a great job as it is!That said, I personally do need to learn more when to let go and respect the fact that I just may not like someones opinion or personality.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
smrobs, I agree with you about the threads that become nasty. When people get to name calling and insulting others then maybe the thread should be closed. I have seen several threads closed (usually by the same couple of mods) that I thought where just reasonable debates. In general, this is a good forum, but sometimes threads are closed for no good reason other than the people who are posting are disagreeing. There are a lot of threads that can't go anywhere or get off topic that aren't closed. A lot of them are closed only because people are disagreeing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think that there are people out there who don't get angry, they just get upset and offended and hurt. Some people cannot calmly argue, they get heated about it and end up lashing out at someone who didn't mean any harm. If we don't close some threads, we end up with a forum of angry, opinionated people because they scared away all the calm people.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts