The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding clothes are expensive, at least the typical English style clothes are. So I save mine for "special occasions"

I am always searching for alternatives, in everyday wear that work for me.

Shirts are not really an issue, because the ones for runners can be bought fairly inexpensively and do great for cooling in the hot weather.

Cold weather, can just layer shirts, but jackets are another issue. I can't ear anything that makes noise (like a slippery raincoat) on Chivas. So traditionally have worn what I call my "fancy riding jacket" which is really a hoodie!

But recently have become concerned r/t the hood hanging on my back. If I came off (this has happened) and the horse stepped near my head catching his hoof in the hood, it could be a disaster.

Any thoughts/comments on alternatives to purpose made equestrian clothing?

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a synthetic fleece type zip up jacket/top (without hood) made for hiking or activewear/sports? It won't be waterproof but it won't get as wet and cold as something that has cotton in it.
I've thought of those, do you think horse hair would be an issue? I don't care from an appearance perspective, but if the hairs won't come out in the wash and poke me I would be so itchy.

It doesn't get that cold here, but I am a whimp when it comes to the cold!

I have ridden in sweatpants before too. Looks horrible with boots but fairly warm. A bit slippery.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I used to show with $10 Walmart jeggings .. had three pairs of white ones and together they cost a fraction of the cost of show breeches. Now I own several pairs of breeches all bought second hand at quite good prices (less than $20 each) as for shirts- most sport shirts or light cotton or tank tops or cut up tee shirts. Boots can replaced with basic short boots from walmart- though I love my nice leather ones. I've heard golf gloves as a replacement for riding gloves. I need to try that one...

Funny story about the Walmart Jeggings- was at a show. Dressage- so all sitting trot so that no one could see the seat of the pants it was in the tack. A very kind and posh trainer came up to me and told me I had beautiful and stylish breeches and where had I got them? Her face when I explained what they were was priceless. It hadn't occured to her that anyone would wear anything other than proper riding breeches to a rated show. Nobody noticed I don't think and they were comfortable and stretchy.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to show with $10 Walmart jeggings .. had three pairs of white ones and together they cost a fraction of the cost of show breeches. Now I own several pairs of breeches all bought second hand at quite good prices (less than $20 each) as for shirts- most sport shirts or light cotton or tank tops or cut up tee shirts. Boots can replaced with basic short boots from walmart- though I love my nice leather ones. I've heard golf gloves as a replacement for riding gloves. I need to try that one...

Funny story about the Walmart Jeggings- was at a show. Dressage- so all sitting trot so that no one could see the seat of the pants it was in the tack. A very kind and posh trainer came up to me and told me I had beautiful and stylish breeches and where had I got them? Her face when I explained what they were was priceless. It hadn't occured to her that anyone would wear anything other than proper riding breeches to a rated show. Nobody noticed I don't think and they were comfortable and stretchy.
:rofl:

By jeggings do you mean the ones shaped like jeans? Are they slippery?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
@AnitaAnne, I get all my riding coats and jackets from the thrift store. They charge $5 for all jackets and coats. I've gotten some lovely ones there. If you decide the coat or jacket isn't quite right, you can just donate it back and buy something else. There are times when a church or school will come and take every coat and jacket. Just go back in a couple of weeks and there will be more of them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know about the hair sorry.

If you can find some second hand, I highly recommend the Icebreaker realfleece (its a merino wool/synthetic blend). I have not had issues with it. But then again, in winter I am generally wearing 1–2 layers of merino (combination of singlet and short or long-sleeve tee) under it, so if there was a hair poking through issue I would not notice it.

I have one kind of like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER...eaadabb:g:5S8AAOSwATdd9oz6&LH_ItemCondition=4

The other thing I have from them is a jacket like this one: https://www.sierra.com/icebreaker-dia-soft-shell-jacket-merino-wool-for-women~p~bi182/. And its amazing but expensive.

It does not get that cold here either (like maybe 46 °F) but I don't like cold. So I wear 1–2 merino base layers, plus my realfleece zip sweater, plus my jacket.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about the hair sorry.

If you can find some second hand, I highly recommend the Icebreaker realfleece (its a merino wool/synthetic blend). I have not had issues with it. But then again, in winter I am generally wearing 1–2 layers of merino (combination of singlet and short or long-sleeve tee) under it, so if there was a hair poking through issue I would not notice it.

I have one kind of like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER...eaadabb:g:5S8AAOSwATdd9oz6&LH_ItemCondition=4

The other thing I have from them is a jacket like this one: https://www.sierra.com/icebreaker-dia-soft-shell-jacket-merino-wool-for-women~p~bi182/. And its amazing but expensive.

It does not get that cold here either (like maybe 46 °F) but I don't like cold. So I wear 1–2 merino base layers, plus my realfleece zip sweater, plus my jacket.
Those look perfect! Cozy and stylish :smile:

Still a bit pricey used, but I guess I can offer lower maybe.

How well do they fit? I'm a bit busty...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not as slippery as running tights. But they aren't grippy. Truthfully at the time I hadn't ever had a pair of fullseats- so I had no idea what I was missing. They have a little slide but not dangerously so.
I have one pair of full-seat breeches, in tan. I got them for endurance rides and if I ever went to a clinic. Truthfully not all that comfortable, but they are grippy.

Foolishly maybe, I don't want to wear them out!

I did think about running tights, but would have to sew something grippy on the seat, and honestly I probably wouldn't get around to doing it :redface:

Picture of my "fancy" get up at the Yellowhammer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
@AnitaAnne

Ive found that the worst thing for trail riding is full seats ... Did that once this summer and regretted it deeply on a several hour ride. It just caused more err friction which is great for riding big trots for an hour but terrible up and down the trail. After that I grabbed my most lightweight kerrits breeches and was pretty happy. I also left the dressage saddle at home and took the AP. I was just more comfortable on the long rides that way.

I'll add too- cheap full seats are worse than nothing at all. They're dreadful to try and get to lay right under the legs and they tug. I've had horrible luck with Tuff Ones. And anything where the seat doesn't stretch is awful.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine are Ovation brand, nothing else seemed to fit. Got them on sale as everyone apparently is riding in silicone seats now.

Chivas is gaited, so I do a lot of sitting. Been trying to teach him trot, but no luck so far

Picture is still upsidedown! Why is this happening???

·
Registered
383 Posts
I find Icebreaker fits true to size for the size chart measurements on the brand website, but I am very flat chested. The fabric has some stretch. I buy most of mine second hand and just have a search saved on the equivalent of eBay for "icebreaker realfleece" and grab them when they are cheaper. My zip up one I got for $20 USD, and it was in perfect condition (no holes). The one I linked, I am not sure if I would buy one with some holes in it, as that they could get worse and are hard to repair.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
But recently have become concerned r/t the hood hanging on my back. If I came off (this has happened) and the horse stepped near my head catching his hoof in the hood, it could be a disaster.
I used to ride in a hoodie all the time. Until the day it caught on a tree branch while riding at a fast clip and ducking under branches. Almost pulled me out of the saddle and the zipper left a lovely bruise on the base of my throat... Guess who is not riding with a hoodie anymore? :Angel:

Running tights are slippery as heck! And most of them cost the same as some of the cheaper riding tights...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to ride in a hoodie all the time. Until the day it caught on a tree branch while riding at a fast clip and ducking under branches. Almost pulled me out of the saddle and the zipper left a lovely bruise on the base of my throat... Guess who is not riding with a hoodie anymore? :Angel:

Running tights are slippery as heck! And most of them cost the same as some of the cheaper riding tights...
Ouch! What do you wear now?

I really loved my hoodies, cheap, comfy, covers bottom (mine) :cool:

But I don't want to get hung on a branch or trip my horse by my neck!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Mine are Ovation brand, nothing else seemed to fit. Got them on sale as everyone apparently is riding in silicone seats now.

Chivas is gaited, so I do a lot of sitting. Been trying to teach him trot, but no luck so far

Picture is still upsidedown! Why is this happening???
I havent tried that brand- and unfortunately I haven't tried silicone full seats. Though I can see the a-Peal. I think Tredsteps are the best breeches I've ever put on- I have three pairs- one of them Jean full seats that I love. Occasionally they slide across eBay very cheaply

1 - 20 of 73 Posts