The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black Percheron Gelding that has been sun fadeing really badly since i moved to Roy. He is nomaly a very rich, dark black with darker dapples...but now he is badly fadeing and the year has just started!
I do show him, but only in open showes and only rarely, hes 24.
I was wondering, what is the coat enhancer reccomended most and what i can expect. I want him to remain black through the year, but i dont want to shovel him expensive suppliments that will harm him or do him no good.

So what do you guys reccomend?

I will attach a picture of him...its not from this year. But this is what he usualy looks like around mid-june. Now he is almost a bay.
charlie.jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I recommend keeping him up during the day and turning him out at night. If that is feasible Thats the cheapest way to keep them black!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
using a fly sheet may help him from fading if you are going to leave him turned out. If you notice in the pic posted his mid section does have the red / brown tint , so I would not call him black. he could be a very dark brown or what i have called a black bay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he sheds out to just black, and fades to brownish, So black Bay would work haha.

i cant lock him in durning the day, he is just out in pasture 24/7, we dont have stalls.

we have been thinking about looking at flysheets for him, but its expensive to get them for such a big guy haha.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
he is indeed, black but instead of a "true" no fading black, he is a fading black, the best thing that will work is stalling during the day and turn out at night, i've heard paprika works however it is illegal for showing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We dont have stalls, so locking him in isnt an option.
I dont go to any shows that they would do tests on him. Open and playday/gameing shows...dont have alot of chart shows for him anymore.

I was just more wondering if anyone has tried the Black as Knight supplement and how it well it works, or another kind.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use Black as Knight on my brown horse and he's almost jet black. However, apparently this product seems to be hit or miss. Some people see no results at all.

The regular version of this isn't show safe, but if you buy from the company they have a show safe version, though it's said to not work as well as the original formula.

·
Registered
420 Posts
One way of not furthering the bleaching is to make sure he's never sweaty or wet while turned out. Moisture quickens bleaching :/ Fly sheets could work out the cheepest in the long run though especially seen as, like Supermane said, not all products work on every horse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well hes a big guy, so he sweats just moving around the pasture in the summer lol.
So it can be a little iffy on if it works on some horses. Okay. If its used on a black/bay paint would it affect the white?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been using a spray on sunscreen for my dark bay this year. So far he is still looking great...we'll see how he looks in a few months though ;)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sunflower seeds/oil does an awesome job on Brock, who is a dark bay/brown. He goes very dark, gets dapples and is super shiny even hanging out in the paddock in winter. He's rugged in winter and he goes a little darker under the rug (or when stabled) but still very dark in summer. Then again he doesn't sweat at all because he can't be bothered running around!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Fly sheet would be your best bet. Along with a sun protect-ant. Some fly sprays (such as bronco gold) come with SPF. Or you could use diluted human sunscreen in a spray bottle. Beware it will attract more dust though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts