The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Coconut Oil

I used a detangled for my horses hair, but I'm sure coconut oil would work just as good. I say this because I've put coconut oil in my horses feed (melted) and his white feet have gotten WAY better (his white feet are really bad) and also his coat has gotten fuller and shinier.

·
Administrator
35,833 Posts
If your detangler contains silicone then it will make your horses tail worse in the long term - throw it away!!
Oils are better to use on tangles than synthetic products

As for improving your horses coat and hooves - oils in the feed can help make a coat shinier but use ones that are nutritionally better than Coconut oil which has no beneficial content at all so will not improve hoof health. It has no Omega 3 content either but is high in Omega 6

Attachments

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Is argan oil the same as Moroccan oil?

Drafty, I think you asked where to get argan oil. If it is the same as Moroccan oil, you can find it at stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Ross in their shampoo section. And it's usually really cheap at those stores. I've had a bottle of Moroccan oil that I use for my hair that has lasted me over 3 years. I might see what it can do to my mare's mane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coconut oil is sold in tubs in every grocery store. It is a soft solid, but when you scoop some out, it quickly liquefies and it is soooo cheap. It's also great for human skin and sometimes I put a very little bit in my hair in the winter.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
If i dont use it on my hair at least once a week my extremely fine hair tries to shrivel up and die lol. seriously my hair dries and brakes easily. not anymore after using coconut oil in my hair. i also use it on dry skin or mix it with things like tea tree oil for skin issues.

My mare's mane and tail are looking ALOT better since i started using coconut oil on her. i dont see an issue with bruning and sensitive skin. i only use it on manes and tails, not slather the entire horse lol! Use it on my fiance's paint too.

You can see the coconut oil on the pic of Odie (paint) were he is tied to the hitching post.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Just wanted to stick my oar into this discussion with the scientific adage relevant here: "the plural of anecdote is not data".

That is, your personal experience, folk wisdom, or something you read on the internet, often bears no relationship to scientifically compiled data, which has lots of rules meant to eliminate things like confirmation bias (ie:unconsciously taking no notice of anything which contradicts what you already believe), incorrect sampling, too small a data base, being aware that correlation does not imply causality, etc etc.

The use of scientific data can be corrupted by the profit motive, but that does not negate the inherent efficacy of the method.

Not a scientist, but I do know that oils have a lubricating effect, by and large. Keeping hairs from breaking off makes manes and tails thicker to the extent the horse is genetically capable of growing them. That's why wrapping works too. I'm waiting for the peer-reviewed study that shows coconut oil is superior to any other oil for keeping horse hair pliable.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
it may be the type of oil coconut oil is. not all oils are created equal. olive oil works in a pinch but never works as good as coconut oil for me and argon oil i can use in place of conditioner without looking like a grease pit.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.