The Horse Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
...and let’s not get started on why there is no human Lyme vaccine or effective treatment). If it’s not profitable for big pharma then we can forget it...
Switzerland is really bad re Lyme as well. Aaaaand *drumroll* there is a human vaccine available (actually recommended for everyone that spends time in the woods)...

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
I have a friend who has just been in Germany for three weeks getting intensive treatment for Lyme- she had to go there and pay out of pocket because the treatment options there are not FDA approved here :icon_rolleyes: Following her story has been nothing short of amazing- she is feeling so much better and her bloodwork is being closely monitored for presence of Lyme and immune health. At the end of the three week treatment protocol, she is currently testing Lyme free after YEARS of not having relief and working on immune boosts. Pretty incredible.

I'm not a science skeptic and believe that we need rigorous testing before we bring medications to market. A good friend of our family is actually a very talented pharmaceutical scientist who has worked on critical cancer drugs. But I despise that decisions about which diseases are "worth" treating are so heavily shaped by what private companies think will be profitable.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
They did have the lyme vaccine for humans here back in the late 90's but they pulled it off the market. I'm not real sure why but I asked my vet if it was because they weren't effective, causing bad reactions or what and he said all of the above. Anyway I went through the series of vaccines but who knows whether I'm protected or not. Don't quote me it's been a long time ago but I think I got vaccinated 4 X...initial, 1 month later, 6 months and a year and then you were supposed to be good for life.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
But I despise that decisions about which diseases are "worth" treating are so heavily shaped by what private companies think will be profitable.
I can understand that decision, based on the fact that millions and millions $ are spent for R&D of one drug (out of a pool of many) that will make it to the market. Doesn't mean I like it, as very urgent needs are left out, since they won't be profitable...
Luckily academia and small spin-offs are picking up some of the "left overs", but the process is often slow and getting funding for it is hard...

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the coggins discussion I just recently learned that where I am there is no rule or law or anything about not being able to transport a horse with a current negative certificate. They just won't allow them to travel into the state without having it. I've literally never experienced this before, and now it explains why when I ask sellers if they have it half of them don't even know what it is!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts