The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should you blanket your horse if she is colicing and it is about 35 degrees fareinheit??
THANK YOU!!!!

VB

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I would as a colicy horse may become shocky and extreme external temperatures can make this situation worse. In cold weather, blanketing a colicing horse so long as he isn't sweating under the blanket would be advisable.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
when my horse coliced i never blanketed him... i think it was around room temp in the arena where we walked him... but i think you should keep him warm. the most important thing is to keep him walking!! and if he wants to lie down you can let him, just DO NOT LET HIM ROLL. no matter what, beat him with a broom to get him up if you have to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depends ... I would blanket as I would usual ... If they normally wear a blanket - yes. If they are colicing, they are probably in a barn with no blanket so ...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just also...35degrees is warmer than normal and she does hav a winter coat.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
oh then i wouldnt blanket her, maybe if she starts sweating put a cooler on her.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone. i guess it was a false alarm...she is better now!
thanks!!
VB

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
thats goo dthat it was false alarm!! but maybe just research colic right now, then you ont be on the computor while your horse is colicing ;) and then you will know what to do

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks
she has impaction colic every year, no matter how much mineral oil and wheat bran we give to her!! shes kindof a brat!!

VB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.