The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Hmm I see that as open to interpretation. I work with horses and can fill out for other peoples horses who have colicked that I have dealt with. My own horses don't...my gelding was "acting colicky" determined to be from tick infection, and my other mare has acted colicky once under my care (and a few times when I cared for her and she wasn't mine) and she has stomach issues so not as simple as "x=y"...

Happy to help you out just not sure quite what you're looking for/how to fill it out. I've never dealt with a real colic for my own horses or needed the vet out (not counting the gelding as he was sick and we didn't know what was going on). Plus a lot of the time the details aren't as simple as a list.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yogi- open on if gas colic counts, you mean?
I wasn't sure, so I wrote it in as a gas colic, and no surgery.
His first episode, he was so bad he couldn't walk more than a few steps before collapsing. And we were pulling and pushing him for those steps. He was shaking, sweating, and iceball covered due to rolling and sweating in snow.
We had the vet out, she could hear minimal gut sounds, rectally checked him, got a bit of poop, and by the time she left, having given the Banamine injection, he was eating and interested in the cats and travel mugs of tea we had out with us. (It was midnight in the dead of winter- burr!!
I have no idea if he would have pulled through without the check and the Banamine? I always wondered if the rectal check didn't also help?
He had 2 more episodes months after that, but not nearly as severe, since I was home and caught them when he started his first kicks. The 1st of the 2, we used oral Banamine (gotten from the vet on her visit), the 2nd, I caught it nearly on the first belly kick, so we actually took him for a very short ride to get his gut moving. Stopped in a field of nice grass, he ate some and was fine by the time he went home. No Banamine needed, though we had it with us on the ride.

Anyhoo. :)

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
"travel mugs of tea we had out with us" Anytime I'm worried about a colic they get tea and whiskey XD. It seriously works. Old timer's recipe that my experienced trainer/breeder swore by. Her daughter is a vet and she admitted she passes it out to all her clients too lol.

I'm just not clear on the rules.

For example, what is considered a colic? I've seen horses look a little off, then they're fine. Then you have the ones where everyone is rushing around panicked. It's not that black and white. From what I've seen for insurance purposes colic means having the vet out (and saying it'd colic obviously). A horse colicking at home then fine with Banamine and not needing a vet call they do not count.

I guess it's all pretty dependent but the above is my biggest question.

And for me personally does the OP want examples or does it need to be our own horses?

And does something like my above geldings odd "colic episodes" count? As colic is defined as stomach pain and he was symptomatic but basically it was just that he felt horrible overall and wasn't anything directly to do with his stomach?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
All true. :) Our vet called it gas colic when she came out. So who knows either way.

Tea and whiskey... what type of tea? Do you just syringe it down for someone not wanting to drink?

And I would think horrible allover but not stomach/intestines isn't colic even more so than gas colic, since gas colic at least is still massive GI upset.

Anyhoo :)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
"travel mugs of tea we had out with us" Anytime I'm worried about a colic they get tea and whiskey XD. It seriously works. Old timer's recipe that my experienced trainer/breeder swore by. Her daughter is a vet and she admitted she passes it out to all her clients too lol.
I am also interested in this! Any particular kind of whiskey or type of tea, or just any old kind?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I'll pm you guys the recipe, it's at my mother's. Does not replace Banamine or vet of course but doing it when the horse seems a little "off" is usually enough to nip something in the bud if not serious. I'll call the vet and she'll be like "did they get the tea? well do more of that and with the banamine they should be fine and if not call back" lol. A good first and helping step, gets the gut moving lol.

And yes you syringe it and no I don't think the kind matters, whatever's cheap lol.

Yes we assumed he was colicking despite NEVER ever being sick,or wimpy, and we didn't know why but when it did not resolve called the vet. Well he kept on acting off/colicky until after ruling out pretty much everything vet said "if he had a fever I'd say for sure something tick related so I'm just putting him on tetracycline as it must be some sort of infection" next day he was back to normal. Only symptom aside from "stomach pain" was not being himself. Like I said not sure if it counts. Happy to help out the OP if she comes back and lets us (me?) know :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.