The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today officially sucked... i think my horse has colic i have given her some banamean (i don't know how to spell it) and it seemed to work for a little bit but now she is acting really dumb kind of like she is drunk or something. she will not walk forward only backward... she trots like she really wants something then just stops and walks away.. i do'nt know what is wrong with her or what to do.. oh and she keeps rolling into fences and almost ditches... i'm really fed up with her ... what should i do????

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
You're "fed up with her"? If she is colicking it isn't something she is doing to annoy or inconvenience you. Did you dose her at the vet's instruction? Have you spoken to your vet or had him/her out?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This doesn't sound like colic, the way you're describing it. It sounds neurologic and it is a veterinary emergency. Do not hesitate. Call your vet now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you love your horse, call the vet! Asap!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
OP - any update? As pointed out above, the symptoms you are describing are very concerning - I really hope the vet has been called to evaluate your horse.

·
Registered
808 Posts
so today officially sucked... i think my horse has colic i have given her some banamean (i don't know how to spell it) and it seemed to work for a little bit but now she is acting really dumb kind of like she is drunk or something. she will not walk forward only backward... she trots like she really wants something then just stops and walks away.. i do'nt know what is wrong with her or what to do.. oh and she keeps rolling into fences and almost ditches... i'm really fed up with her ... what should i do????

Is this for real?

First, what made you think she was colicking? Did you call your vet when you dosed her with banamine? Have you called the vet since? Someone needs to look at your mare ASAP. She's not being annoying, there is something seriously wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya the dose was on vet instruction... yes i have seen him since... she seems to be coming out of it but very slowly... she hasn't rolled into the fence since like 7 last night... don't think i don't like my horses cause i do they are my whole life. i'm fed up with her rolling into the fence when she has 5 acres to roll.. its all open land...

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Remember how you were annoyed at her next time you are sick and someone has to pick up after you or get you another box of tissues.
When you do not feel well things happen.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
ya the dose was on vet instruction... yes i have seen him since... she seems to be coming out of it but very slowly... she hasn't rolled into the fence since like 7 last night... don't think i don't like my horses cause i do they are my whole life. i'm fed up with her rolling into the fence when she has 5 acres to roll.. its all open land...
So, since the vet had been out to see the horse, what is his/her diagnosis of the situation?

Certainly doesn't sound like colic, and I'd be concerned if my horse was randomly rolling around. I'm also surprised the vet didn't say to keep her quiet, stalled, and keep an eye on her.

Unless you're walking her on a lead line, an ill horse shouldn't be allowed out to roam around and possibly hurt herself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember how you were annoyed at her next time you are sick and someone has to pick up after you or get you another box of tissues.
When you do not feel well things happen.

i don't get how you can go off telling me this... no one picks up after me i do...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
curious what is troll??? um i don't have anywhere else to stall her... i just have pasture.. i'm not some rich snotty person who stalls their horse at some barn... i also kept an eye on her all the time

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
went through my head too

this sounds more like a troll than a colic.
I know times are tough but I'd be doing everything I could possibly do to try to figure out what's wrong. My vet takes payments and I am in the process of insuring my horse. I wouldn't leave her side unless I had to go to the bathroom and I know I could call a friend to bring me lunch or a snack until I got a proper diagnosis. I'm not rich either but I'd be doing everything in my power to help get her well again.

sorry the whole "fed up" statement got to me and rubbed me really wrong.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
i'm not some rich snotty person who stalls their horse at some barn... i also kept an eye on her all the time
BAAHAAHAAA!!!!! So those of us who have a barn for our horses are 'rich and snotty'? You have no idea what you're talking about.

My barn is a converted garage, and my stalls are converted utility sheds. My set up won't win any 'most beautiful barn' contests, but it's safe and sturdy and my stalls are huge.

Sometimes you need a place to put a horse, especially if they're sick or injured.

So you have no shelter at all for the horses? Not even a lean to or run in? Not a very good plan if your horse needs to be confined or on stall rest.

You certainly couldn't have kept a very good eye on her if you let her roll into the fence, now could you?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I don't think she's a troll, MIE.

What I do think is she's a bratty teen who thinks she knows it all, and has a huge chip on her shoulder.

Her other posts on different threads haven't shown her to be trollish, just young.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Ah. Never saw her other threads nor bothered to read her posts in other threads. My appologies if she isn't a troll - but with her lack of education in her posts and her responses in this particular thread - I say walk away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.