The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
No riding critique wise but your horse is behind the vertical alot during the video, so no he is not collected.
In the second part, maybe it's just me not used to seeing the slow lope but her hind leg (her left hind) looks VERY off...not something I'd want to see on my horses at all.

But your horse is beautiful! What breed?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shes a rescue and i was told her was a paint b/c of her blue eye, but she doesnt have papers they were lost in her past... in the second video she was stocked up in her hind legs b/c show season was over and school kept me from riding her every day....i did have a tie-down on her during the first video too, bc i was training her to neckrein...so i dont know if this has anything to do with it..

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
No, I'm not seeing any true collection. She isn't pushing from behind, she isn't flexing and bending, and there isn't a whole lot of impulsion. I see her in a "frame" with a shortened stride.

It saddens me to see that most WP horses are ridden like a couch and that the rider's let them pull themselves along on the forehand. No, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, my point is that you can achieve that WP look and still have a forward, uphill mount that is soft and supple and really bends. Know what I mean? I hope that came out like I wanted it to, it's in no way supposed to suggest you're "letting" your horse plod around. =|

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
are you talking about the second video or the first one riccil0ve?
Shes always been a very upward motion in her front, and from my trainer he
says she uses her backend very well, i dont know if its because these videos are so
old, that she has changed from than...i will have to get an updated one for you guys :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
In the videos she was not using her hind at all...well she was using them, but not in the sense of collection.

A tie-down will also have nothing to do on how a horse learns to neckrein, and personally I never like to see one on a horse...does more harm them good. The tie down might have a reason as to why the horse's head is behind the vertical though alot

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Like savvy said, she wasn't engaging her hindquarters in either video. Just plodding along on her front end.

exactly, it kepted her head down while i was teaching her to neck rein
This statement really saddens me. Her head does not need to be down to teach to neck rein. Not in the slightest bit. How do you think it's helping? And also, a tie-down should never, ever be strapped so tightly that the horse has to keep it's nose on it's chest to get a release.

To teach to neck rein, have a rein in each hand, and when you ask her to turn right, move your hands together to the right, bringing the left rein onto her neck and simultaneously "pulling" her into the turn with your right rein.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im going to say this right now, im exxxtermmmly protective of my girl, and i'd appriecate it if everyone would stop....i wanted to know wht u guys thought and im sorry i even asked....she isnt even close as slow as the pleasure horses that compete in my area and shes actually quite fast compared to them, and she is only a pony...but i am going to say im getting an updated video of her for you, well i first got her she was in horrible shape...and i've pretty much taught her everything she knows...accept the very basics (walk, trot) she didnt know how or what the canter was....but i've said all im going to say...and hope this stupid thread doesnt ruin your opinion on me as a person....

·
Registered
289 Posts
We are not being rude or, if you did take it to be rude, we were not trying to be, and I'm sure everyone here that has posted cares for the well fair of all horses, yours, mine, theirs, etc. You posted a critique of yourself using a tie-down. You told us the reasoning for using the tie-down...and we are simply saying a tie-down should not be used for teaching to neckrein, and IMHO not at all. If a tie down is needed, then there are holes in the foundation of the horse, or the horse is emotional and scared...and the tie-down will do nothing but make the matter worse.

Gait wise, other than her being very on the forehand, I like her tempo and speed (besides when she was loping as you lunged her). I do not like seeing a slow western pleasure horse that looks almost broken because the gaits are so slow. Your mare has exactly the right speed that I like to see.

But I would like to add that all horses know what all the gaits are from stop, to back up, to w/t/c/g...it's when we get on their backs that makes them unsure of what to do. ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im just going to explain the tie-down and how i use it, i dont have it so tight that she cant bring her head up, b/c i have it on loose enough so she can quite a bit...she im not literally tieing it down, i wouldnt do anything to hurt Mya, shes had enough of that in her past and i would give anything to protect her, and i do, and i'll admit i do get carried away in it sometimes....i was using the tie down, b/c i got her to wear she understood what the rein on her neck ment and i used it so i kind of kept her head in poistion, and it worked...and i can tell you i havent ever used it sence, like in the second video, she was free no tie down...but she was stocked up..and i was working her out of it...im going to the barn tonight so i'll try to get a better video for you guys
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.