The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently started working on collecting my mare, and I wanted to see how you guys think she looks. I come from saddleseat, where the definition of collection is completely different from western's, so I'm still learning.

This is BEFORE I started collecting her:

One year ago:

One year ago:

Four months ago:

Four months ago:

The pictures below were taken a week ago, after working on collecting her for about two months.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

BTW - Although it looks a lot like she's trotting in some of the pictures, she's doing a foxtrot. It's exactly like a trot except the front leg in each diagonal pair hits the ground slightly before the hind leg (which you'll see if you look closely). She's supposed to have a long, low stride in the front and a short, high stride in the back.

·
Registered
496 Posts
shes really pretty!!!! i love the spagetti strap and jeans in the first pics!

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Nice horse but you are not getting real collection via a curb bit.

I would say you are getting a better frame and the back appears to be working more in tune with you.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I just love that horse, she's beautiful. =]

My only comment is make sure she doesn't get heavy on the forehand. I know that's typical in the WP world, but it's definitely not the only way to go about it. =]

And Spyder? Why is it that you can't get true collection in a curb? My mare is much closer to collection when I ride in her curb on the trail than when I ride in her snaffle. o_O

·
Banned
593 Posts
i think the curb pressure has a lot to do with 'making' them put their heads down from the pressure. I thought i was getting collectin with my kimberwick so i downshifted (haha) her into a loose ring and completley different.. now that shes in a french link D ring she goes on teh bit herself 1/2 the time i dont have to ask anymore.

If her mouth is small try a french or moon link bit. theyre broken into 3 pieces and much more comfy .my horses never worked better untill i used a french link. they actually collect and go onto the bit much better w/ them as well.

you should get a video i think it would be easier to tell if shes truley collecting by seeing her move. the photos are gorgeous btw =].

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only comment is make sure she doesn't get heavy on the forehand. I know that's typical in the WP world, but it's definitely not the only way to go about it. =]
We don't do WP, we do reining, and if she's heavy on the forehand it's definitely not intentional : ]

If her mouth is small try a french or moon link bit. theyre broken into 3 pieces and much more comfy .my horses never worked better untill i used a french link. they actually collect and go onto the bit much better w/ them as well.

you should get a video i think it would be easier to tell if shes truley collecting by seeing her move. the photos are gorgeous btw =].
Okay, I'll try those. Thanks : ]

·
Banned
593 Posts
if your doing WP you can use a loose ring in the show ring right ? If shes soft mouthed you can get a french link loose ring =] they make them with and w.out copper =]. i have the one with copper. actually the whole bit is gold im not sure exsactly what 'material' it is but it increases saliva as copper does. but she dosent drip at the mouth lol. And now that i think of it, ginger has been 'drooling' more with the french link Dring. hmm. well either way , ahah, good luck =D i hope it works for you guys.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if your doing WP you can use a loose ring in the show ring right ? If shes soft mouthed you can get a french link loose ring =] they make them with and w.out copper =]. i have the one with copper. actually the whole bit is gold im not sure exsactly what 'material' it is but it increases saliva as copper does. but she dosent drip at the mouth lol. And now that i think of it, ginger has been 'drooling' more with the french link Dring. hmm. well either way , ahah, good luck =D i hope it works for you guys.
Haha, why does everybody keep thinking I'm doing WP? I'm doing reining. I have to use a curb in the show ring since she'll be 6 by that time.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
LOL @ the WP comments.

I do alot of Long and Low with Nelson as well to get him to stretch and to get him to raise his back and strengthen his topline - but the key factor to this, is doing it right rider wise.

It is one thing to have them drop their heads down and stretch, but it is up to use to engage the back end still, raise their ribs up into our seats and make sure that they are using themselves properly, to build those muscles properly.

I think "Collection" will come a long way yet - but you are on the right steps, especially getting her to use her back the way she is.

Absolutely beautiful girl! Stunning! And, jealous about the weather!

·
Banned
593 Posts
I have to use a curb in the show ring since she'll be 6 by that time
seriosly? i never heard of that. i find that a little odd. not saying your lieing , it just strikes me b/c shouldent you choose what your horse works best in/with ?

i dont want to get off topic i dont know thats why im asking.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^ meh, rules are rules, and she could try to change them but til then she has to use that bit in show ring :p its like how next yeasr when i go into FEI junoirs im going to have to use a double bridle.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL @ the WP comments.

I do alot of Long and Low with Nelson as well to get him to stretch and to get him to raise his back and strengthen his topline - but the key factor to this, is doing it right rider wise.

It is one thing to have them drop their heads down and stretch, but it is up to use to engage the back end still, raise their ribs up into our seats and make sure that they are using themselves properly, to build those muscles properly.

I think "Collection" will come a long way yet - but you are on the right steps, especially getting her to use her back the way she is.

Absolutely beautiful girl! Stunning! And, jealous about the weather!
Thanks! : ]

seriosly? i never heard of that. i find that a little odd. not saying your lieing , it just strikes me b/c shouldent you choose what your horse works best in/with ?

i dont want to get off topic i dont know thats why im asking.
According to the NRHA, horses over 5 are required to use a curb bit. Most western disciplines have an age restriction on snaffle bits.

·
Banned
593 Posts
^ meh, rules are rules, and she could try to change them but til then she has to use that bit in show ring :p
true but maybe a f-link would help teach the horse and then she can go back into the curb. sometimes transitioning helps. not always. but its possible

According to the NRHA, horses over 5 are required to use a curb bit. Most western disciplines have an age restriction on snaffle bits.
and ohh, i never knew that. why do they do that? i dont want to go off topic im curious why they would make that kind of thing a rule.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Nice horse but you are not getting real collection via a curb bit.

A curb bit, spurs, and shoes. All are no no's on the forum.
She is a nice looking mare and she has really filled out nicely in the year.
You should be very proud of her. She stands out as something special. One I would take a second look at.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and ohh, i never knew that. why do they do that? i dont want to go off topic im curious why they would make that kind of thing a rule.
Because in western the snaffle is considered a training bit. You can only use it with junior horses and you have to ride them two-handed. When your horse is older, they should know how to do all of the same things with a curb, one-handed, and with less rein contact.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Ah i guess it makes sense haha. thanks =] i was just curious. she really is gorgeous . shes gaited right? what breed is she again?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
^^^^Barnprincess--Because a curb is to western as a snaffle it to English, the quintessential bit. Though a snaffle can be used in training in western, a finished western horse(and they assume that should be happening a round 5 years old) should be able to be ridden on a loose rein in a curb bit in a proper frame and respond to the rider through very subtle aids.

In this situation I agree that a curb is not the best to teach collection in, though you already said that you are going to try a french link or straight mouth so I wont really bug you any more on that, but there is no reason once collection is taught in a snaffle you cannot achieve collection in a curb.

The only problem I had with the pictures was the seemingly constant pressure on the curb, which is not supposed to happen and why I suggest using a snaffle if that connection is necessary for you to teach her collection. Then when she is collecting on a loose rein with the snaffle, move her to a curb, but do not use the curb pressure to ask for collection because at this point she should not need bit pressure to collect.

Wonderful job!! She is an amazing looking animal!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
LOL, tok so long typing that you guys responded a few times over...hehe!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.