The Horse Forum banner

Color question

3556 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Eastowest
I've been told you aren't suppose to breed a buckskin to a cremello. Is that true? If so, why? What color would the resulting foal be?
I love Platinum Cowboy so it's got me curious. Untitled
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
There is no reason not to breed a buckskin to a cremello unless you don't want to take the chance of the match producing another double dilute. (some people will breed to a double dilute to get palomino or buckskin, but they DON'T want a double dilute foal themselves.) But if you LIKE double dilutes, or wouldn't mind getting one, and the horses are a good match otherwise, then there is no reason not to consider the match.

· Registered
735 Posts
>>>> Double dilutes suffer from sun sensitivity and an increased risk of skin cancer and vision loss. THAT'S why (sensible) people want to avoid breeding them.

?? Re-read my post. I SAID that some people don't want double dilutes.

Some people like them.

As NRHAreiner said, many colors/patterns have the similar/same sun sensitivity/cancer risks, and the eyesight claim? Not true. Blue eyes in horses aren't more prone to vision loss. Eyes with light skin around them are more prone to cancer of the eye structures due to sun exposure-- as can be applied to some paint patterns, some appaloosas with extensive mottled skin, any bald faced horse w/o eyeliner-- and cremellos/perlinos actually have SOME pigment in their skin as it is not truly pink skin, but light skin, so they are better off than an extensively pink-skinned horse.

ALL of the above can wear fly masks/sun shade masks, and if needed, sheets when outside, so risks are minimized.

(say the "sensible" mom of 2 blue eyed blonde kids which I don't consider inferior due to their genetic potential to sunburn, LOLOLOL-- but I DO have a good supply of sunscreen and hats....)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.