The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring I posted about a poor shoe job, my lack of knowledge, and a hoof crack that had been plaguing my gelding for several years. Through lots of replies, links to info, reading through all that info, and practical application I am happy to say that the crack in Comic's front left hoof is completely grown out! His feet are in the best shape I have ever seen them. We both continue to love our Renegade boots. I don't know that he will ever go fully barefoot but we can do short rides barefoot and the rest we boot for. So thanks to everyone (loosie and deserthorsewoman especially) for all the help.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i get a 'you do not have permission to view this album' and 'request access' come up when i click on your link. i did click the 'request access' so you should be getting a notification of sorts. i don't use google + often.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow took me long enough. BUT... here is Comic's hoof with the crack almost gone. One or two more trims and it should be bye bye. It will be almost exactly one year by the time it is gone I think. After dealing with it for several years I am so glad to see it at this stage. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. This forum was a key in our success. I've learned so much from the people here and the links they provided. Comic and I are much happier now and are looking forward to a great riding season in 2014.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Awesome! Did he need to be shod for the crack to grow out?
I just bought a barefoot horse that had been neglected a few years back which resulted in 2 huge cracks to his coronary band. The current owners are both barefoot trimmers and one veterinarian and they all say it will be fine and to keep him barefoot but one of the cracks will likely never grow out. I trust them, but am a lot worried from everything I read online. Any advice?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually he was shod for the years we couldn't get the crack to grow out. We pulled his shoes and, through the help of people here and the links they posted (Hours and hours of reading) I started doing my own barefoot trimming. He hasn't had shoes on at all since the first picture. I had him shod and that crack opened up like a canyon. I pulled that set and haven't looked back. I do my own trimming and ride him in Renegade hoof boots now. We are both much happier.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Actually he was shod for the years we couldn't get the crack to grow out. We pulled his shoes and, through the help of people here and the links they posted (Hours and hours of reading) I started doing my own barefoot trimming. He hasn't had shoes on at all since the first picture. I had him shod and that crack opened up like a canyon. I pulled that set and haven't looked back. I do my own trimming and ride him in Renegade hoof boots now. We are both much happier.
I would LOVE to see those links. Had you ever trimmed before? There are some barefoot trimmers near me, and I bought him from barefoot trimmer professionals that went to farrier school and then studied Pete Ramey, etc, to continue their education once they decided to go barefoot. They say his cracks are NOTHING to worry about, and I am inclined to trust them since they all take very good care of their horses, but I started freaking out reading about how cracks up to the coronary band can cause lameness, etc, and his are! One of them has opened up a bit as well. They trim him every four weeks. They said one of the cracks will definitely grow out but one will never grow out but shouldn't cause problems if properly trimmed...

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I tried bear foot with her and hers was MUCH worst without shoes. Hers is also caused fo a huge scar, and unless i want to cut it open again its not going away. I have herd barefoot trimming works on these cracks though. Glad it helped you :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the link to my thread last year. I started this thread after a poor shoe job when the crack in Comic's hoof opened up an had me worried. All the advice, pics, and links I was given are in there. I had never trimmed before pulling that first set of shoes. My dad has trimmed his horses so he helped me some but I decided I didn't love the way he trimmed so I developed my own way. It works for Comic and I. Good luck!

http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/clips-help-cracked-hoof-174649/

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
I tried bear foot with her and hers was MUCH worst
That's because you should have tried horse foot - bears don't even have hooves! And you have heard of herds of bears??:p:lol:

But seriously, there is a lot more to just keeping them BARE. If the horse is regularly trimmed to be well balanced, any excess pressure is kept off the region of the crack, and any infection is treated effectively, it will grow out, tho there may always be a 'fault line' if it's a severe & chronic one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.