Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this girl?

She's 3 years old, broke to ride, has done some ring work and trail riding. She's gentle and quiet, has been used to give rides to children. Still too young for a beginner rider?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Hard to tell how she is conformationally from this pic. Can you get side pictures?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I certainly wouldn't call her a beginners horse, but that's me. There are people who have plenty of luck with green/young horses, but they're usually 100% under a trainer.

You can't tell much from the picture you've provided, but her legs look crooked. She's got a weird neck, but I can't tell exactly what's going on there. Looks like she's long through the back and her shoulder's steep.

I cant tell you for sure unless you provide a photo of her from the side.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Plenty of good dispositioned 3 yr olds are fine for beginners. Our mare lady was started as a lesson horse at 3 yrs and was great with kids. I think she's a beauty and will certainly fill out as she gets older.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I don't think anything is wrong with her neck, I bet you anything it's just her markings. My mare has markings like that on her neck, and if you look at it a certain way it makes her neck look goofy, but from any other angle it's a perfectly fine horse neck. =]

I think she's really cute, and as PaintHorseMares says, there are tons of 3 year old horses with enough brain for beginners. =]

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Riccilove; the neck bows out in that first pic. It's not an illusion from a marking. I can't tell if it's an upside down neck, ewed, or improper muscling.

Ladywantsahorse; That's still a very poor picture to judge conformation on.

You need one like this, but with the horse looking straight forward;

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I still think it has a lot to do with the markings making it stand out, as well as the way the horse is standing and holding her head. I stand by my opinion that her neck, from the pictures provided, appears just fine to me.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I see what Paints does, the underside of her neck... sags a bit. Need better pictures though to be for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping to get out and take some more pics of her tomorrow or Sat.
I'll make sure I get a good angle.

Riccilove; the neck bows out in that first pic. It's not an illusion from a marking. I can't tell if it's an upside down neck, ewed, or improper muscling.

Ladywantsahorse; That's still a very poor picture to judge conformation on.

You need one like this, but with the horse looking straight forward;

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
First things I can tell; Ewe neck, straight shoulder. Probably not a very good tie in with the throat latch area.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great examples, gives me a good idea of what to shoot.
I'll bring hubby along to hold the tail. LMAO!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if it is upside down or ewed, would that be of concern if I just want to use her for light riding?

And is he asking too much if he wants $2000. for her?

He told me he had wanted her for a penning horse but she's too slow for that, so he wants to sell her.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
So if it is upside down or ewed, would that be of concern if I just want to use her for light riding?

And is he asking too much if he wants $2000. for her?

He told me he had wanted her for a penning horse but she's too slow for that, so he wants to sell her.
1. No, it should not be a problem for light riding.

2. The price is only too high if you are not willing to pay it, if you are, then it is fine. JHer actual worth depends, how does she ride? What do you plan for her in the long run? What are her bloodlines?How well is she trained? Better pics will help out nominally.

3. I always take the sellers word with a grain of salt when buying a horse. They will usually say anything to unload it. Take a trainer (if you have one) or a more experienced horse person when you test ride her, get their opinion too. It all comes down though to the fact that you want her and feel she is right for what you want. If the answer is yes, buy her.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
^^Ditto to that post. The neck isn't a big thing, more of a vanity issue. The one thing that really bothers me out of all the pix is in that first one, her right hind fetlock looks crooked but I can't tell if it is just how she is standing or what. I will reserve judgement until you are able to get some more pix.

As for a 3 year old being suitable for a beginner. Yes it does happen, some horses are fantastic and completely trustworthy from day 1, other times it is an accident waiting to happen. I agree that taking an experienced horse person along when you try her out would be a very good idea.

·
Registered
957 Posts
She is a nice looking little mare. I love her expression and face.

My friend was eleven when she purchased her mare, who had just turned three at the time (the girl is now almost twenty and the horse will be eleven in April) and they did fine together; however, my friend had been riding since the age of three and had plenty of experience.

It all depends on the horse and the experiences he or she has had. It is totally different letting a kid loose on a horse on the trail and/or the arena rather then just leading them around on a circle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.