The Horse Forum banner

101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
It used to be that if I ran my mouse over the title of a thread, it would show me the first couple of sentences. Now, it does not. That used to often be the decider for me whether or not to open a thread. For example, threads titled "HELP", and you see the first few sentences saying something like, "I can't decide which color of saddle pad to buy" . . well, I know THAT thread isn't worth the bother of openning in a new tab.
I still see that @tinyliny- give it a second longer than you think it should need, and a popup box will appear above the title when you hover, and show you the first few lines.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I'm seeing a LOT of really old threads getting brought back from the dead. Can we call them zombie threads? Is there no longer a warning when you respond to a very old thread? I think it's that "Recommended Reading" that's causing it...

·
Super Moderator
22,784 Posts
Something that was also a small prob in the last system; posters opening old threads. When you went to reply to a thread past a certain age, it came up with 'are you sure you want to respond to an old thread?' or some such. I presume that 'check' is still in place? It needs to be if it isn't. And it would be great if it would come up when you first view, rather than when you go to hit 'reply' - which might be after a time wasting reply. But when the thread is 'restarted' it comes up in 'new posts' and subsequent viewers/responders often don't realise it's old. Can we have the 'old thread warning' come up for everyone who views?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Have I missed an explanation of premium membership? Am I missing the cool kids super secret premium conversations if I don’t upgrade?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Premium: If you pay $20/year - $1.67/month - you don't get ads. Certainly not very many. I figure it is worth it. None I remember seeing so far.

Forums don't exist as a public service. If they can't pay expenses, they go away. There are a few models. Advertising - which also depends on the advertiser believing the ads get past ad blockers. Subscription. Or in some cases, a VIP model where some articles are free and some require membership. One site I know asks for donations to keep it going.

I'm pretty sure I get at least $2 in value each month so I don't mind paying. But one way or anther, there must be some model of payment. Don't think HF will qualify for government funding...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thanks for the explanation about premium. I’m not seeing any ads. I have an ad blocker so it must be working 🤞

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Both backgrounds give me a headache. Just scrolling through this thread is painful.

after the last change, I reverted to the “classic “ look for the same reason.

I love this community. I will pop back in from time to time to see if it’s been fixed. But I can’t do this.

·
Super Moderator
22,784 Posts
Did you guys(techies) dull the background in the last day? It doesn't look so garish & hard to handle to me this arvo. Or have I just got more used to it? The little font is a bit hard, and the very boring, empty background I still don't like.

·
Super Moderator
22,784 Posts
Both backgrounds give me a headache. Just scrolling through this thread is painful.

after the last change, I reverted to the “classic “ look for the same reason.

I love this community. I will pop back in from time to time to see if it’s been fixed. But I can’t do this.
Oh do make sure you check in frequently Cordillera, to see if it's satisfactorily fixed - don't want to lose you!

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
We are expecting some readability updates later this month. I believe around the 17th. I am hoping that will help you. I have had the chance to review it and am finding it definitely helps me.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
A softer background would be appreciated. Way too much white space causing excessive scrolling.
Honestly, not a fan.

·
Registered
48,561 Posts
I still see that @tinyliny- give it a second longer than you think it should need, and a popup box will appear above the title when you hover, and show you the first few lines.
I still do not have that feature. I wait and wait, but no preview appears. I use a pretty old version of Firefox.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
What about the zombie threads? They just keep coming. It's night of the living dead thread over here.

Can something be changed to make it less easy to re-open a very old thread?

·
Registered
44 Posts
May I ask why it is not allowed to post on old threads here? I find a lot of entertainment and info even in the older threads, although can understand that problem solving threads may not be relevant. I don't really understand why old threads cant resurface? (perhaps that is because it is not frowned on in other information sharing forums that I frequent).

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
@aubie I think if you click the three dots once you have posted there is an edit feature. I don't know if there is still a timer on it though.

Testing

Reactions: aubie

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Regarding the old threads, I see that when I was reading a post in Training Horses, that at the bottom of the page was a list of recommendations to read - all these were very old posts dating back to 2011.
This needs to be changed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
...and the very boring, empty background I still don't like.
I love the very boring, empty background! I found the old site so visually loud and it was difficult for me to read. Now it is very soothing and calm. Like how they always paint hospitals in calming, plain, light colours. Now I can actually read a post without all the busy background effectively screaming at me :)

·
Super Moderator
9,626 Posts
@AuG

The trouble with reviving very old threads is that, say in Horse Training, someone digs up four old threads on using a snaffle bit, and comments a little on each. Suddenly that subforum is cluttered with threads on snaffle bits and other relevant training topics get lost. Also, chances are very good that the participants of the old thread have long resolved their question (hopefully) in the 5-11 years since that discussion.

The Horse Forum search feature is good if one wants to look for threads on older topics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last night I switched to "dark mode" and noticed it was quite blinding with the black background and white lettering (I usually love dark mode on other social media platforms so I found this odd). This evening I find it much more readable. Either my eyes got better or someone turned the black to more of a very dark gray. Either way, my eyes thank you!

As for the reviving of old posts, I noticed if you scroll down past the reply box there are "recommended reading" threads with dates that easily go back 10 years. I wouldn't want to revive a new thread but I do see how easy it could be to accidentally bring one back to life.

101 - 120 of 165 Posts