The Horse Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Personally, I don't mind this change. Websites and social medias update like this all the time, it is just part of what keeps them viable. Of course there is an adjustment period, and I'm sure the developers will work out some of the kinks, but I don't see this being a big issue.

To comment on a couple things...

I see many people mentioning ads being interspersed within the thread as a new issue, but any time I used the forums on a work computer or public WiFi, I ran into autoplaying video ads in between responses. So this is a known issue for me. I haven't seen that once in the new update and I appreciate it. I have seen the post look-a-like ads, but it's so easy to scroll past. At home I have an ad blocker so I don't expect that to be an issue.

As for old threads showing up, I remember seeing those too, at the bottom of a thread under the quick reply box you could see threads with similar titles or content, some many years old. If there was a way that threads over a certain age could auto lock after a period of inactivity (maybe excluding things like journals) that might be good but I don't know how feasible it would be.

The contrasting text/background doesn't bother me in either dark or light mode. It feels pretty easy to read. Perhaps skins are something that could be implemented at a later time?

Final note, I am posting this from mobile and it feels so much easier to use on my phone than the old site did. It now feels like they have a proper mobile mode.

I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it but overall I think it's a fine change, and that with time we'll become comfortable with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
There is as always was the Old Thread Warning message. You have to click the box acknowledging you are replying to an old thread if you are the first respondent after so much time has passed. It will also tell you how old the thread is if I am remembering correctly. Then once their reply posts it is now current so all those that open see the new reply and if they scroll back may not even notice the old. Personally I think those should need approval before posting or some other two step (3 step) process that prevents it from happening without reason (an OP updating would be a good one) as so many of the members that posted are no longer here. Good reading but not needing to be revived.

Reactions: SueC and egrogan

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
@QtrBel , seems the old "check box" didn't come over. I don't mind people reviving old threads when they have a specific reason to, but I think it's happening right now mostly because people don't realize it. I would definitely be in favor of reinstating that extra step before an old thread accepts a new post.

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
Yep, you are correct. It didn't migrate. Definitely need a fix for that.

Reactions: SueC and egrogan

·
Super Moderator
11,187 Posts
Also need to refigure the relevant reading so it is as current as possible to go with a new old thread warning system if the only relevant are years old.

Reactions: egrogan

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I keep getting the Captcha whenever I open the forum and sometimes when I'm switching between pages (Windows 7, laptop). Am I doing something wrong?

Changes are fine by me, but I've been in IT for 25 years so I'm used to things changing all the time and I understand why they must happen.

·
Administrator
35,645 Posts
May I ask why it is not allowed to post on old threads here? I find a lot of entertainment and info even in the older threads, although can understand that problem solving threads may not be relevant. I don't really understand why old threads cant resurface? (perhaps that is because it is not frowned on in other information sharing forums that I frequent).
It is allowed and it’s good that people find them interesting and informative but it’s often pointless giving answers to question threads because the member has long moved on from wanting replies.
New threads, with new replies are more advantageous to the forum so we tend to discourage reviving ‘zombie threads’.

·
Registered
48,561 Posts
I may have missed this, but where do I see how many likes my posts got, or where they have been quoted? I used to love getting up in the morning and sometimes seeing that something I had posted had earned a lot of likes. Ego trip!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I may have missed this, but where do I see how many likes my posts got, or where they have been quoted? I used to love getting up in the morning and sometimes seeing that something I had posted had earned a lot of likes. Ego trip!
I "liked" your post!
:D

Actually FWIW I have always liked your posts, and I really appreciate how giving you are of your time. I've gotten a lot of useful information from them.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
If you click over your profile pic in the top right corner, it will bring up a menu. You will see "Alerts" with a number after it- if you click alerts, you can see the likes given and the responses to your posts or threads you've posted in. You can click on the specified thread and it will take you to it.

You can also see likes at the bottom of each individual post, just above the line that gives you the reply/quote/like option.

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
If you click over your profile pic in the top right corner, it will bring up a menu. You will see "Alerts" with a number after it- if you click alerts, you can see the likes given and the responses to your posts or threads you've posted in. You can click on the specified thread and it will take you to it.

You can also see likes at the bottom of each individual post, just above the line that gives you the reply/quote/like option.
You can also find them within your account settings. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The dark mode still gives me a headache. But the younger folks seem to like it.

I tried the light mode again. Maybe I got more used to it, or maybe the admins softened it up a bit. It seems a little easier on the eyes, but I still prefer the pastel background on the old classic mode.

I’ll keep popping in from time to time to try things out.

thanks.

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
😃😃😃🥳🥳 The card view is a whole lot better. My eyes and brain thank you!
I am absolutely loving it. It helps me see where one post ends and the next one begins. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I agree, the card view has helped with readability and now I can easily distinguish where one post begins and ends in a thread without getting lost. I was thinking the ads were photos or links someone posted because nothing was there to break it up.

I'm getting used to the layout and like it. I always used the old classic desktop view even on my phone because I hated the mobile version so bad.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts