The Horse Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Ditto - looks heaps better! Now, is there any way to 'bigger' the text a bit, for older eyes?
You can use Ctrl and + together to change to font size on a particular website.

Reactions: loosie and SueC

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
And you can wear low-magnifying screen glasses to reduce eye strain - helped me heaps in recent years.

I second what @egrogan, @Caledonian etc said - the card view is such an improvement! Very good, thank you - the previous mode was killing me, light or dark view. This mode is very workable, and without sunglasses.

Main drawback of the new platform for me was exactly that, but on that I'm now happy. Two other things:

• We can't see who's on a thread anymore, by looking under it - would be nice to have that back
  • And far more importantly - the emojis... I read what the techies said about gifs and how that slows loading. At this point I'd be happy to have non-animated versions of our lovely old emojis back... (and I don't see why the gifs should be such a huge problem on the new platform if they worked super for many years on the old one - and so what if the loading speed is slightly down because of them, the fun factor was sky-high and if you took a survey of HF participants I'm sure the majority of them wouldn't mind some extra loading time to have our beloved and unique emojis back...survey, anyone?).

I'm really missing our hug emoji, and the closest I can find is this: 🐙 (...I'm sure an octopus can "hug" really well but others mightn't enjoy the cold and slimy aspect or the suckers or they might surprise us 🤪)

And what's this? :poop: ...is that meant to be an anthropomorphised happy poo? If yes, what's the world coming to?

It's so sad to be reduced to generic emojis. I can't even say "cool" anymore with an emoji because the one provided has such a sneery mouth: :cool: ...sends a totally different message...

HF emojis is part of what made this place special - and had lots of equine-related emojis, whereas now the only riding emoji we have is this lame racehorse: 🏇

And this stuff is so sad: 🦄 🐴 🐎

😪

Right, I've had my emoji rant. The following improvements have been noted:

• Advanced search is working again - yippee! 🤩
  • Easier to type posts with the self-expanding boxes and the formatting at the bottom, where it's close to what you're writing. 😀
  • And the emoji list appears to be growing. But could you please at least let us have "stills" of the prior gif emojis - and all our old non-gif emojis back?
Thanks for all your work and putting up with our whinging about it! Must be quite disheartening. Thanks also for working with us to improve the look and functions of the new platform. I was gonna post the "cool" emoji but it looks so cynical it wouldn't send the message I want...

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Everyone has a pet talent, @COWCHICK77, and this is the one God unto me gave. ;) If other people enjoy that, so much the better! And you'd undoubtedly leave me eating dust roping, 'cos I've never done that before...except on dry land and horseless when I was about 6 and wielding a washing line I think it was, after being inspired by a cartoon... I didn't catch anything, but I managed to whip myself in the face... o_O

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I thank you. (And am missing the bow-down emoji something chronic...😭)

Of course, undoubtedly I only got the idea it was poo because of the way I think. Could be anthropomorphised happy soft-serve chocolate ice-cream... why didn't I think of that?

Which reminds me - what's brown and sticky? (A stick.)
And for the ultimate dirty mind test - in which place do most people have black curly hair? (In Africa.)

Now, of course, I'm pining for the off-topic emoji... :cry:

ETA: @ApuetsoT, I like the one with the circling flies better, but of course that's a gif... it's just so much more realistic, and evocative in the right sorts of ways...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I use my iPad. I see no difference when I switched to card view or comfort view from dark view.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Whenever I come across mental challenges like this, I remind myself that every single task that I have to re-think is another step at keeping Alzheimer's at bay. Just remember, when you are struggling with the new stuff, that it is actually helping your brain.

I also think about how strong I must be getting when I am doing some heavy physical task like loading hay or shoveling rocks. It does help, at least it helps me.

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
How To Remove Cardview Announcement

Click on OK to close the announcement

How To Change View Mode
Click the 3 vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the site. Select View Mode

Choose the Forum View you prefer and click OK.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Comfort View (Dark Mode)

Card View (Dark Mode)

Comfort View (Light Mode)

Card View (Light Mode)

Does that help? Basically it comes down to if you prefer the added "shading" or not.

- Cricket

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
I can honestly say that I really don't like the new changes, especially for the viewing. Card View is the easiest, the dark view seems to be easier on my old eyes than the lighter view but none of them are very "old person" friendly.

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I can honestly say that I really don't like the new changes, especially for the viewing. Card View is the easiest, the dark view seems to be easier on my old eyes than the lighter view but none of them are very "old person" friendly.
We will see regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Hullo Cricket, is it possible to make a request? I'm from the journalling group, and many of us have journals going back years. On the new platform, dates no longer show on the posts - just "1 hour ago, 1 day ago, 1 month ago, 1 year ago, 2 years ago" etc. I can see that's OK for main forum threads, but it's a problem on a journal - because all of, say, 2016's entries show up as "4 years ago" and you can no longer work out even what month each post was from. On journals, dates are so important... both on our own (for the record), and on other people's (it helps to know what season something happened in, etc)...

The metadata for the dates must still exist, surely - in which case, can we have those back? 🎅

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I'd like a boldface option. Trying Control + and that helps a little, but I mostly need darker print. It isn't a size issue as much as a contrast issue. Maybe thickness of the lines used in the font.

·
Super Moderator
22,784 Posts
The moderator task bar(that I just found this week) has disappeared from the bottom - can't move threads to more appropriate section??

And it would be great if there was more option than just 'like' on the bottom of the posts - a 'love button' definitely sounds wrong, but a heart button & a laugh button - like they do on FB would be great.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I would like to ask to have the location, I live in So Cal, put back. It does seem to make a difference.

One person was asking a question and after many replies we learned that the person asking the question lives in a different country and made a difference to the replies.

I also note that weather reports and feed supplies, etc., make more sense when we can tell where everybody ( that wants to put that out) lives.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts