The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my lesson which lasts about an hour, I cool my mare down by walking around the property. She always poops in this one spot (I think because several paces before that spot she always gets nervous about things crackling in the nearby bushes), and then when we get to this open field, she stops in almost the same spot every time and hunkers down for a good pee. I'm now trained to the point that I notice the change in pace of her gait and I stand in the stirrups as she starts positioning herself. We make quite the spetacle for the people in the next lesson.

I know it doesn't matter, but I was just curious ... why this same spot every time? Is it something instinctual? Is it the smell of the grass that gets her?

Reactions: dlady

·
Registered
48,575 Posts
they have a great memory for "place". having experienced something once in one location, they are apt to remember it. also, the smell could still reside there, triggering her automaticallly do pee.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
they have a great memory for "place". having experienced something once in one location, they are apt to remember it. also, the smell could still reside there, triggering her automaticallly do pee.
Some horses tend to take care of business wherever they happen to be when the urge strikes. Others are more selective and will use one corner of their stall. There are two geldings at my barn that share a paddock and it is rare to find poop in more than two places and sometimes only one. (it does make cleaning up easy) I think scent has a lot to do with it and also routine.

·
Super Moderator
26,349 Posts
My gelding go's into his stall to pee. He has the paddock and the pasture but he will actually come in from the pasture, walk through the paddock, and go into his stall... Just to pee! Drives me nuts.

Reactions: ecasey

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My horse does the same thing! I sometimes take her for a walk in the field beside the riding arena for a cool down. She always pees in this field, in approximately the same spot. She'll even do it in hand if I take her for a hand walk out there. She'll even do it if I haven't had her out there for a while, and I'm certain the smell wouldn't be fresh anymore. It's quite amusing, but unfortunately I can't answer your questions. I have no idea why my horse does it. All I can say, is my horse does have a pattern to where she goes to the bathroom in her stall and in her paddock. She poops and pees in approximately the same places in each. She really is a creature of habit.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Your horse peeing in the same spot could be a form of territorial marking. I know when my neighbor's mares have come for a visit, my geldings will sniff, exhibit the Flehmen response and then pee or poop right over the spot where the mare had previously gone.

In wild horses, they have noted something called "stud piles" (not exclusively used by studs). It is kind of like an "Occupied" sign on the area. I think in the case of mares it is more like "I'm here too, let me introduce myself, hope to meet you in person some day". :lol:

Horses are very sensitive to smell, especially the hormones excreted in urine.

·
Registered
387 Posts
LOL ecasey. I had to laugh when I read this. It could be her spot for relieving pressure after a ride.

My horse Gilbert farts LOUDLY in the same spot every time when we go to a show. I don't know if he's tooting his horn at the cows in the pasture next to the arena or at the horse behind him. The announcer calls it his gas pedal.
When I take him to the arena to ride when there's not a show, he never does this. It's only during a show.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
My trail rides are too random for my boy to pick the same spot every ride, but he always pees in soft moss and will proudly leave a pile on the top of the highest hill we climb that day. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
265 Posts
My big gelding wil always pee in his stall if he hears me coming. Half the time I don't even work him.

Just like dogs, part of their potty habits can be for communication.
But I don't think my horse is telling me to p*ss off!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Your horse peeing in the same spot could be a form of territorial marking. I know when my neighbor's mares have come for a visit, my geldings will sniff, exhibit the Flehmen response and then pee or poop right over the spot where the mare had previously gone.
I'm sure this is at least part of it. Dogs do this almost universally, and I think deer do as well. I suspect many animals do, but I can't say with any surety.

I have noticed that our herd has a kind of "thou shalt poop here" rule. They are more adherent in the summer, but they tend to use the same area during the winter as well. I like it: makes cleanup with the tractor possible. Good Horses!

Um, they use The Poop Pile for napping as well. I wonder if this isn't a chicken or egg scenario, but it does make for aromatic equines ;-)

ByeBye! Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had a mare who used to pee in her stall as soon as she saw me approaching with food. It was a run-in so she would often come in from outside, then pee. It also drove me nuts! My two present geldings pee in the same place in the field, usually one right after the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts