The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1297 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
@JCnGrace - Kyle is doing well. He got a kayak this summer and spent several Saturdays floating down local creeks and streams. He's also taken up archery and enjoys it. He got upset with the horses for turning his straw target into bedding tho. LOL! I've been working a lot and just the thought of looking at a computer when I got home was too much. Didn't mean to drop off the face of the forum, but each day slipped into the next, and well....

I was saddened to hear about Mom. She was a feisty gal. I'll miss her. Do you and Sis still take summer trips our way? Would be good to see you again.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@JCnGrace - We do celebrate on the 25th December, although it's not traditional. Christmas was banned in Scotland for around 400 years and very little changed until recently.

For 5000 years they celebrated a mix of the Winter Solstice, Yule and added in Christianity when it was introduced. It was the Reformation in 1560 that banned all festivals and holidays around that date. If people wanted to celebrate on the 25th, they had to do it in secret or they moved it to the New Year, our Hogmanay.

Christmas was a normal working day until 1958, when it finally became a public holiday but habits are hard to break. My parents were used to working right through or having a few members of the family drop by and that hasn't changed, even for me.

There's still a mix of everything today, with slightly more emphasis on Christmas than there was in the past. However there are a great deal more (non-Christian) events and traditions around the three days at Hogmanay. Everywhere has light festivals, street parties, torch parades, fire-balls and so on. It's amazing how much the past influences us today!

@blue eyed pony - Body protectors are really expensive. I've often wondered why they're double or triple the price of helmets. I've gotten to an age where i don't bounce so I'm glad of the extra padding LOL

@PoptartShop - What a wonderful surprise to find a desk full of presents! Beats paperwork any day! I've a Dyson as well. I used to have a Bosh, it was one of the most unreliable makes that i've ever had. Have a good holiday.

@avjudge - Your right about the 'his-genitive' in the English language. I think it was short lived and died out a few hundred years ago. Fingers crossed for your cat, he sounds like a sweetheart it would be a shame if it shortened his life.

@Change - Hi great to see you back again! It's good to know that Kyle is doing well. I had the same problem with my archery straw targets, except with mice. A lot smaller than horses LOL! They looked so cozy i (almost) felt sorry for 'removing' them.

After dropping a pan of soup all over the kitchen floor yesterday, i spent this morning finding and cleaning missed marks and splashes. I thought that I'd bring in my large Vax carpet cleaner so that i could clean the hard floor, then use it next week in the rooms with carpets, but it's dead. I forgot that it had packed up in the summer. I should've replaced it when it broke! I'm going to wait until next week and splash out on a new one.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Mice don't take down and destroy 3 stacked bales in a single night, @Caledonian ! Kyle looked out the window to see both horses comfortably nestled in their New straw bed! 😂 Lesson learned: New target set up in horse free zone!

Okay I take your point. I bet they were comfy though! :smile:

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I want a RaceSafe vest but they're nearly $600 here for just a basic one D: The thing is they're to standard, AND they flex. I'd also look at a VIPA... but those are equally expensive. Obscene price to pay for something that I'll literally only bother with while working with breakers - which at this stage is going to be a few weeks to a couple of months at most. I don't bother with a vest for jumping because I showjump, I don't event, my chances of being seriously injured when I'm thrown into a jump are pretty low. And while rotational falls do happen in showjumping, they're much less common. Body protectors are not compulsory for my sport, they're hot, they're uncomfortable, I can't move properly in them (unless I spend a ridiculous amount of money). So, right now, it's not financially viable. That said, if I were to make breaking a routine thing and do it professionally, I would absolutely wear a vest with every single one. Why? Because if it's my livelihood I can't afford to risk it.

In theory, I'll be starting work with Chuck (the young horse I'm breaking in) in about a week. I was hoping to get started before the new year but oh well, his owner's a busy man.

The money I was supposed to spend on buying a saddle for Ikora ended up going into buying a matchy set and some jumping boots, so Ikora is still being ridden either bareback or in my breaker saddle (which she hates, so that's not a common thing). I'm thinking about applying for finance to get a saddle because my self control sucks but I pay my bills really well, so it's pretty much the only way it's going to happen at this rate.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Just an FYI for people joining this thread at a later date the following responses are to posts made on the original Confession Time thread. LOL
@RegalCharm, I think I'll wait until it is here and installed before I start any negotiations. LOL
@Bleu, don't let that 20% rule play games in your head, it's more about the horse's build than anything else. My 15 hand, heavily built, thicker boned quarter horse mare with a short back could carry heavier weight than my 16.1 leaner built with a long back quarter horse gelding (a lot of thoroughbred influence in his lines) could. I say this to offer you encouragement and don't think you should feel guilty over any of it. I promise you as long as a horse has it's basic needs met most are more than happy being pasture ornaments.
@Jolien, wonder what that trainer would think if they drove by my place when I was dinking around on one of mine with no tack whatsoever wearing shorts, tank top and flip flops. LOL Not that I'm advocating for others to be as stupid as I am but I think the risks a person is willing to take depends on how they grew up. Back in my day parents didn't worry about their kids like they do now so protective gear for whatever you were doing was not the norm.

I'm glad you discovered your love of horses this year and wishing you the very best in your future journey!
@avjudge, how fun to take a good part of your animal family with you for a Christmas visit with family! I hope your tom lives a long and healthy life too. Don't know if it will work for Flicka but I often do what I call 10 minute tune-ups on mine while I'm waiting for the water trough to fill. In that 10 minutes we'll do mostly walking, turning in each direction, a little jogging, a few whoas and some backing.
@PoptartShop, man, you raked in the Christmas presents! Glad to hear you're feeling better but will be happier to hear when you're 100%.
@phantomhorse13, love the look on Kestrel's face. It's saying "I know better but just couldn't help myself." I think Sonnet would have been happier with Christmas Kitties wrapping paper. Seriously though I bet their antics bring many smiles to your face, those pictures did mine! Sounds like a busy but wonderful holiday for you.
@blue eyed pony, I think you should confess to exactly how many matching sets you have now. LOL I'm kidding!

I think the thread broke for about everyone which is why @jaydee started this new one for us. I confess I'm a little sad that the old one got closed and will eventually disappear into the back of beyond.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
On to the new!
@jaydee, thanks for your help! I know that all of you that keep this forum up and running don't get to hear that often enough. You guys are the best!
@Change, love hearing that Kyle is getting out and about and doing things he enjoys. Don't love so much to hear you've been all work and no play, you know what they say about that. I understand though, I do good to keep up with this thread and don't visit and participate in others like I should.

Mom stayed feisty to the end. She was pulling some slick ones on us kids! LOL Sis and I haven't been on any trips but we need to start them back up because to be honest I don't know how much longer she's going to be able to get out and about. She's been having some bad balance and memory issues.
@AnitaAnne, no need to confess your deep dark secrets, you can talk about anything you want to. We talk about our horses, other animals, jobs, funny happenings, frustrations, accomplishments...you name it, we talk about it. There is still an occasional confession but the thread has morphed into old and new friends just having a conversation and often times sharing pictures. We would be thrilled to have you join in.
@Caledonian, it is so interesting to learn about your history and customs. So are many of your celebrations from pagan customs? I hope I'm using pagan right anyway...more of a mother nature/seasonal type of leaning? I find it fascinating and don't know why I don't educate myself more on different religions and customs.

I hate when that happens! For me it's always dropping a pan of baked beans when I'm taking them out of the oven. I don't know what I have against them but it happens way too often to be a coincidence. I have to tackle the dang kitchen tomorrow in prep for the dishwasher delivery because we made a mess of it today. Let me tell you there are some scary things lurking under a fridge that hasn't been moved out in a long time. LOL
@blue eyed pony, you'd be much better off if you could knuckle down and get that money saved for a new saddle. Payments mean you're also paying interest and that is not good. I know how you handle your finances is not any of my business, just don't want to see you go down the same path that I took in my younger years. I had a hard lesson to learn about credit card use and it took me forever to pay it off and in the end it probably cost 3X more than the original purchase price. Could you maybe let your mom handle the money your saving and tell her not to let you have it, unless it's a life or death emergency, until there's enough there for the saddle?

·
Registered
845 Posts
@JCnGrace I think you know horses better. You can probably make a better risk judgement. In europe equestrian accidents are the second most common cause of an ER visit. The group that is hurt the most are female amateur riders like me. So I wear a helmet and a vest. I already fell off once during cantering outside and I didn't break anything. Most of the times when you fall off you'll be okay... We don't have to be paranoid about that. When I went mountainbiking several years ago I hit the breaks too hard because I was going really fast and someone else was too... in the other direction. I launched myself in the air over my bike.... so... you know... every sport can be dangerous... that doesn't have to stop you from living. :)

I think I need the protector for my own mental feeling of safeness too. :)

@blue eyed pony Wow that's expensive... I can't believe there are not cheaper ones? The airowear ones maybe?? For my build they were not that good (pressed down on my clavicles and chest), but they gave me room under my armpits and were quite flexible in the back. You could get one for around €200... Or maybe you can buy a second hand one from someone on the forum?? I also tried some level 2 protectors! They were really flexible. But they only protected the spine and the ribs a bit with light panelling...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
@jillian - like @JCnGrace, I spent my childhood on horseback, bareback, barefoot, in shorts. I didn't even use a bridle. Just a loop of clothesline knotted under the chin like a war bridle. And we lived in the mountains. I'd be literally off grid from dawn until dusk. I didn't start wearing a helmet until about a year ago - and I'm 61. I've been bucked off, run over, flipped on.... I've also been very lucky in that I've never been seriously injured. I do advocate wearing a helmet now, though, especially if you are a novice or riding a horse you don't know. As for body armor, if it gives you a sense of security, then fine, but if it restricts movement and you aren't riding a bronc, then I don't think you really need it.
@JCnGrace - if you head down Nashville way just let me know. Kyle and I would love to see you again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Allright... Spent hours catching up to find the thread continues here...

@JCnGrace you are right, I am kind of sad that the closed one will fall behind and get lost.
I loved to read about the barn cats! Big thunderstorms can be frightening, but I like it.
@phantomhorse13 Sometimes it's hard not to laugh when we try to be serious with our pets :)
Sorry, is your cat blind? May sound silly, is just that my blind cat had eyes like that when not fully open. Beautiful cat

@Jolien You get to ride so many beautiful horses, so cool! Even at my riding school I rode like 3 total, lol! Glad you had fun riding bareback, and I also don't see a problem riding a horse without a bit, since he knows how to obey. Can't give opinion about the vest, never used one.

@blue eyed pony Amazing drawing! And Ikora looks great in purple. Glad she is almost fully healed

@PoptartShop Ugh, sorry you were feeling so bad, but seems like you are doing well already. Promise is the sweetest thing!!
@Change OMG!! It's you! :) Kidding, sometimes I go missing too, life gets in the way... Happy to read about you and family

As I said above, I was so behind and spent so many time reading it that my replies were very short and incomplete, because I am running out of time again.

Glad you liked my postcard ( @Caledonian was just something I found online), you know how much I love animals so it was my face, lol!

Christmas was smooth, we are finally getting wonderful weather, so Tuya got to be ridden and even took a bath this morning, as yesterday she was all itchy against everything and scratched her ears on the process.
Needless to say she was all over the place and the slowest I got from her was a jumpy walk, lol! The arena was not in the best condition, has huge holes from lunging horses in the mud, so we had to go on a small trail ride. She never tried to go back to barn, which is a plus, after almost two months off of work, but was she a hot mess! That old lady still has some fire on her :)

Here she is, before tacking. Not a fat otter anymore, but cannot feel ribs. Just out of work and old, lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@Jolien - Like you, I wear a helmet and body protector. I've worn a helmet since i started, although the 70s and 80s designs were pretty poor and offered little or no extra protection. I've also taken risks and ridden without a helmet or tack. At that time, protectors were aimed at eventers and jockeys and not your average rider.

I've been kicked in the chest, trampled, and dropped in the dirt more times than i care to think about. I've even fallen off when Toby was standing still (don't ask :smile::oops:). I've also seen two friends hurt when they came off on a busy main road; one broke bones in her back and the other fractured her skull. I know that if something happened, my older body wouldn't be able to bounce back as quickly as i did when i was young.

@JCnGrace - Once the 'quiet' Christmas is over, the loud, merry and bright Hogmanay traditions are pagan in origin; most welcome the return of the light (with fire/fireworks), others bring luck and protection to your family in the new year. Any firework displays at this time of year, no matter where in the world, can probably be linked back to the old beliefs.

@TuyaGirl - That's great that you manged to ride. Tuya is looking well, even if she's a little older. She sounds like she's got plenty of bounce in her. She looks like shes enjoying the good weather in the photo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@JCnGrace I have read that a few times before but my mares (Tawny) legs are just so small I feel like they would snap under me, and my gelding (Jack) looks as if he has no muscle. I love em to death, and if I did ride them, it's not like I would harm them enough to break anything, but I feel like I would provide them with nothing but discomfort.

Update: Also, as far as training goes, I found some really good methods, and I plan to restart them in spring when I get some more panels for my round pen.

Tawny.jpg
Jack.jpg
Jack and Tawny.jpg

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
@Jolien, I think it's good that you use whatever makes you feel comfortable climbing in the saddle.
@blue eyed pony, definitely don't hand over your money to anyone you can't trust to keep it safe for you. What if you kept it in a savings account that was only accessible by physically going to the bank and making a withdrawal? That would give you time to think about it anyway.
@Change, will do! You know you have an open invitation to visit here too, right?
@TuyaGirl, a picture of the lovely Miss Tuya, YAY! She was showing you that fire so that you would quit calling her old! LOL Glad you're finally getting some good weather and was able to take advantage of it.
@Caledonian, I love fireworks so I'd enjoy Hogmanay!
@Bleu, Tawny has the build that would work! I can't see Jack's well enough. Can't wait to hear about your training adventures this spring.

That hubby of mine! We have a steer head hanging above the door of the barn and I told him a couple of years ago one of the horns was coming loose and the thing needed to come down before it fell on one of us. At that time I heard, "oh it's wired and screwed on, it's not going fall, nothing to worry about..." so then a couple of days ago I got warned not to park the truck close to the front of the barn because one of the horns looked like it was about ready to fall off. I gave him heck about being worried about the truck now but not me when I told him 2 years ago that thing was going to fall and puncture me one of these days.

Picture 004.jpg

I've already had a squirrel fall on my head from up there and numerous pigeons that like to nest in the thing poop on me as walk through the door I do not need to be pierced by a horn! It's time for it to go and since he was the one that hung up there he can be the one to take it down. LOL

·
Registered
845 Posts
@blue eyed pony I made an excel sheet for myself and I downloaded the app moneyboard. I had to pay a minor amount of money for the app, but it has really helped me keep track of my spendings! I made a calculation of what I can spend every month and I put a max on every money post so that I can keep my finances in check. The moneyboard is quite confronting. Last month I bought several horse things and did a lot of lessons and I organiserd a horse riding weekend for my niece (I payed for it). The grand total was 600. I am ashamed to admit it. But there were several investments made like a bodyprotector and a seatsaver... So you're not the only one spending on horse stuff. :)

@Caledonian Yeah, alot of people in my family ride and they have also had their fair share of accidents including broken backs, broken bones, etc... so I'd rather be careful. :)

@TuyaGirl I am trying to find a horse riding school that fits me and I found two now. One of my trainers is helping me find a horse that suits me. :) I rode three horses at that barn and the last one seemed to be a rather good fit. Only the saddle and me and the horse (combination) led to burn wounds on my butt... So I bought a seatsaver since I never have that problem on my friend her horse I suppose the problem is partly due to the saddle... :)

I bought a really funny long haired seatsaver, I'll be posting pics soon so you guys can laugh at me and the sheep that died to become a seatsaver. It gave it's life to be on top of a horse... ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
@JCnGrace I have read that a few times before but my mares (Tawny) legs are just so small I feel like they would snap under me, and my gelding (Jack) looks as if he has no muscle. I love em to death, and if I did ride them, it's not like I would harm them enough to break anything, but I feel like I would provide them with nothing but discomfort.

Update: Also, as far as training goes, I found some really good methods, and I plan to restart them in spring when I get some more panels for my round pen.

awww ain't they cute!! I don't know alot about breeds, but are those the quarters you were talking about? :cowboy:I like american breeds and also the more muscular horse breeds. :)

1 - 20 of 1297 Posts