The Horse Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1288 Posts

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
@blue eyed pony, can you find her some good reading material on the subject? Maybe if she could take some time to ingest knowledge that way then ask you any questions she may have you guys can discuss without fighting. In the meantime hang in there, I know it isn't easy for you either.

@lb27312, garden produce sounds absolutely yummy. I don't want to do the work required anymore but fresh green beans, cucumbers & onions, wilted lettuce, corn on the cob all sound good about right now.

@PoptartShop, Happy Birthday to your grandmom! Does she live close enough that you get to have regular visits? Other than 2 aunts (one not doing well) my siblings, cousins and I are the oldest generation in our family. Man I hated typing that! LOL The aunt that is still doing well wants us all to get together for lunch and they picked the 31st of this month. You might know the one day they pick is my farrier day. The only thing that is on my calendar at the moment. If he wasn't always booked at least 2 weeks in advance I'd try changing it but definitely cannot put their pedicures off that long.

@Finalcanter, GOOD! Sorry you took a spill but it sounds like you managed to come out of it injury free. I don't know how often you take a lesson but if you could get that horse every 3rd or 4th lesson it ought to even things out for you.

Miserable hot today and then tonight a thunderstorm moved in. It's past but still raining and we need it but wish it would stop for about 10 minutes so the dog can go on his last bathroom trip for the night. Then I could go to bed.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
@JCnGrace I have tried, I'm constantly sending her links and sharing videos and facebook posts and it just isn't working. I'm exhausted. Her excuse is she has 25 years of habit to break. Yeah, well, so does my brother. He's misgendered me twice since I came out. Mum will misgender me twice in a sentence and I'm just... so tired.

What makes it even worse is that if I'd been born with the body parts I should have been, my name would be Andrew - and the name I've chosen for myself is Andy.

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
@JCnGrace thank you. :D She lives about 45-1hr away, so it's not too bad but I don't go as often as I should. Awww, you definitely should get together with them. I totally understand about the farrier scheduling, it's hard to get in right now at all! :lol: Same here, extra hot again (there's a heat warning) & it did storm last night which is good, but we need more rain!
@Finalcanter so happy to hear you finally had a good lesson, YAY! :D And you got back on, good for you! Sounds like it went really well!

I confess, another hot day. No riding again. Tomorrow morning I will though, because the weather is supposed to cool down a little bit (not by much, but at least it won't be AS hot). Work is busy today, so I'm enjoying being in the AC at the house. I was gonna wash my car, but I think it's even too hot for that!

·
Registered
845 Posts
@blue eyed pony You're not alone! Lots of ppl support you. One of my best friends is trans. And I ain't exactly normative either ;) Kudos from here (where I live). Some people will never understand but it's your life and they are your rights and it;s your future and your body.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
@JCnGrace : my herd is the opposite of yours.. they hate the hose, but happily stand out in the rain. hope the hubby had a nice birthday.

@PoptartShop : the clinic you took sounds really interesting. hope the new bareback pad rides as nice as it looks.

@blue eyed pony : I had no idea about frame rates. I guess if I ever think about trying a VR experience, I will be sure to ask about that (I always assumed they would make me sick). sounds like your mom is being a touch passive aggressive.. so your best bet may be to just ignore it for a while and thank her when she does get it right. I am sure that is easy for me to say though, as I am not the one having to live with the frustration. i am glad your brother is supportive.

@lb27312 : with that kind of heat index, I am sure the horses don't mind not being worked. hope you can eliminate the fire ants (ouch!!). how funny to wind up with a surprise habenaro plant in your garden.

@Finalcanter : glad you had a better lesson, but ouch to coming off.

Got more saddle time! The whole story is in my journal.

Last Wednesday, I got Phin out:

That evening, I rode with my SIL. I rode Honey:

Saturday, I did more trail maintenance when DH got called to work. The dogs came to supervise:

Sunday, we got George and Link out:

Monday, I got George out:

Tomorrow, we head for Virginia for our first competition of the season!!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
@PoptartShop, fingers crossed you're able to get your ride in tomorrow morning!
@phantomhorse13, best of luck at your endurance competition!

We had a rainy day so between last night and today all the flora got a good drink of water. Enough to soften the ground without turning to mud so it was perfect.

Hubs bought his own birthday cake when he went to the store today so I didn't even have to bake a cake. Good thing I waited because he's been known to do that before and we've ended up with 2 cakes.
@RegalCharm, you are being awful quiet. Let us know how you and Miss Carmen are doing. Did you end up getting her a friend?

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
@phantomhorse13 great pictures. Omg, the dogs are so cute. Kestrel is so big!! Yayyy! Have fun in Virginia!! :D Sounds like fun!! Can't wait to hear all about it! And omg, the bareback pad is super comfy! I'm tickled!
@JCnGrace LOL I'm glad he ended up buying one so you didn't have to worry about which one to make! :lol: What kind did he get?!

I confess, I FINALLY rode this morning! It was rainy, the ground was mushy/wet from the storm last night, so we just walked, but I didn't even care. I finally tried out the new bareback pad & it felt amazing. Sooooooo comfy for me AND Promise!

Tomorrow morning the farrier is coming, it's supposed to rain all day so probably won't ride again until Saturday. :icon_rolleyes:

Tonight my work is having a virtual happy hour for their 17th anniversary. I should probably go brush my hair or something, I've been looking like a troll for too long. LOL! :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
@PoptartShop, we'd make a pair. I came in tonight looking like a cat from all the cat hair stuck to me. LOL A week or so ago I loaded my little wagon with bales of hay but hadn't moved it over to the other barn yet. In the meantime the kittens decided that wagon of hay was their new favorite hangout. In hindsight I should have moved the hay before doing the other chores because who knew sweat was a cat hair magnet. At one point I felt something tickling me, lifted my arm up and it looked like I had never shaved my pits before. LOL

He got a coffee cake. Not the same as a birthday cake but what the hey.

So glad the bareback pad was comfy for both you and Promise!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yesterday I met my friend her new mare, it's a horse with gunner bloodlines and oh my was she a pretty one!! I was in total awe... This horse is 3 y old and already had a magnificent body... Those muscles and leg muscles! WAW. Unfortunately she is deaf but she seems to be a really gentle sweet mare. Every time she got stung by some insect she gently looked at me or touched me with her nose so I would smack the fly... She also stands perfectly still when being mounted (WOW!) and she is really responsive. I think my friend has a top horse with her. She is planning to go into reining competition with the horse. I am looking forward to it! I'll be present at the training and shows. :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Staying up late watching a bunch of riding videos (just for the fun of it honestly). I'm happy I have the weekend off- we've been getting hit with so many thunderstorms lately! I've been dying to do no stirrups work for some reason but maybe I'll wait until November or something haha
@JCnGrace
Yeah I'll see if I can make that arrangement with my trainer. I had this horse quite a bit pre-pandemic times.

@Blue-eyed-pony
I'm sorry you're going through a rough time with that particular issue-I can sympathize. You'll make it out strong, don't worry..

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
@RegalCharm, you are being awful quiet. Let us know how you and Miss Carmen are doing. Did you end up getting her a friend?
No friend for Carmen. I just have some serious life changing things going on right now that are taking all my time. Around first of july started getting sick.
Not Covid . Fought till I couldn't go any more and went to ER. My whole right side rib cage hurt, couldn't get my breath. X rays showed fluid build up around right lung, lung was collasped,, and they thought their was a mass. So next was Cat Scan they drained 3 liters of fluid off my lung (pleural effusion) Inserting long needles between the ribs . and it re expanded and new CAtscan didn't show any mass which they said was probably caused by the fluid compressing everything and moviing it out of place. But the fluid biopse came back with cancer cells in it so while in the hospital dr. did a flexible bronchoscopy on the right lung and took some pieces for another biopsy. So have been dealing with getting referrals to cancer doctor and numerous phone calls to the VA so they will cover the bills,

A dog chasing its talil would be a good description of how working with the VA is sometimes.

like yesterday called to find out status of referral to cancer doctor and was told it was done 2 days ago. So asked if I had to call and make an appointment with the Dr. They did a conference call to the dr and they didn't have any of the hospital records or tests faxed to them. The VA told them they would send them again. So now monday I am going to call the dr. and see if they actually got them this time.

And they expect people to stop smoking when things like this are going on and I still don't have my nicotine patches which were mailed last tuesday. And finished up with the strong anit botics yesterday and the side effects of those on my digestive system reared its ugly head day before yesterday.
@Caledonia I am awful sorry to hear your mom passed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Glad you did have the memory of being with her when she passed That is a good comfort in itself.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
@RegalCharm, I'm so sorry about the possible cancer and for what you're having to deal with going through VA. Sending you virtual hugs and plenty of prayers. When and if you feel like it please let us know how you're doing. WE CARE!

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
@RegalCharm I am so sorry to hear this, please take care of yourself & keep us posted on everything. :hug: Sending you hugs & good vibes.

@JCnGrace LOL, trolls unite! :rofl: It's so bad, I should probably straighten my hair soon because it's getting all knotty from being in a bun all the time. Ugh. But I'm too lazy haha.

@Finalcanter no-stirrup work is always good. I've been doing a lot if it lately!

@Jolien awww she sounds very sweet. :)

I confess, it's been a very busy work-week. The new guy at work, well, he sucks. He absolutely sucks. He's been here almost a month & he's just annoying. He has this know-it-all, sassy attitude. Tries to boss ME around. I believe it's his first 'real' job, because he has no idea how to write emails, copy & paste, or do much of anything really. & when I've tried to show him (using screenshare etc. & on the phone), he doesn't take notes, or care to. So he constantly, constantly makes the same mistakes. He doesn't check his work, or double-check PDF's when he sends them out. Like you have to be really careful with this stuff & he just...does what he wants.

It's very frustrating. & the first week he started, he took a few days off because his gf broke up with him & he also lies about things. He lies about not getting emails or phone calls from the attorneys, etc. He always makes excuses.

I really don't think he's gonna make it, although I feel like some of the attorneys are blind. They say he's doing great, but when me & another paralegal told them a few things that concerned us, they seemed to not even care.

So, yeah...just very frustrating. It's not only that, but he's a legal assistant, not a paralegal. Which is fine, but...

One of the paralegals is going on maternity leave in a few weeks, until December. Guess who they said is going to cover for her????????? HIM!!! Didn't even ask me...but HIM!!!!!

LIKE, WHAT?! I don't know if he's a family friend, or what, but it's just insanity. How the heck?? He's not even good at being an assistant, so you're gonna allow him to draft/file things? He has NO legal or office background at all!!

Then I told them about it, how I feel 'looked over' and they just said he was interested in learning paralegal roles, & I can help too if I want while she's on maternity leave. I'm like HUH???? HE HASN'T EVEN BEEN HERE A WHOLE MONTH YET! LOL. It's just mindblowing...the other paras, me, & 1 of the attorneys are also like WHAAAT?! So it's not just me.

I'm almost ready to start jobhunting, just because of all this going on...it's very frustrating. Ugh. Sorry, just had to vent. :sad: I feel like the squeaky wheel gets the oil, & it's just a mess.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
@RegalCharm . I'm so sorry to hear that you're unwell and having a difficult time with the VA. Sending as much support as i can over the pond and many

@JCnGrace - Your description of cat hair pits is hilarious

I'm the second oldest in my family now. I often wonder when i got so old and lost so many. On Tuesday and Wednesday morning I decided to walk the two miles into town and two miles back, I thought, 'och, this will be an easy walk'. Well, today my knees, ankles, lower back and hip are so stiff that I'm struggling to walk without groaning LOL. I used to do it five days a week and in all weather when i was in primary school; it seemed so easy at that age!

@PoptartShop - I agree with @carshon - sit back and wait. I'd similar with two new workers in their first jobs. I was open with my advice when they needed support, until i found out that they'd taken credit for everything. From then on my advice was limited to the essentials. It's a shame that you feel you have to move but I can understand if you're not being treated the same - highly unfair. May I join Trolls Unite as well
. My style has grown out, it's turned frizzy with the weather and it gets more like a bird's nest each day! Of course brushing it might help

I confess that I've been dealing with my parent's estate all week. I've spent hours on the phone, Monday was the worst at six hours, as I had to go through their information with their bank and i still had to go in to our local branch for meetings. I think I've remembered everything. I've been working through a list of utilities, insurance and anything else i can find.

The next stage is to appoint a Solicitor as all the legal stuff baffles me and, wow, they are expensive!

I've still a few meetings, then I hope that I can sit down and have some time to myself to grieve. The funeral was last Wednesday but I feel like i haven't stopped since i got home. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.

It was pouring with rain and blowing a hoolie today but is meant to be sunny and hot tomorrow. After a phone meeting in the morning, I'm planning to sit in the garden with a book and do nothing. Housework and weed pulling can wait for another day.

I hope everyone is having a good week.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
@PoptartShop, I think you run into one of those sooner or later no matter where you work. Wait it out they'll either move him on up (yes those type seem to do well with the bosses) or he'll move on to a new job. Hang in there girlie!
@Caledonian, I hear you! I really needed to do some work on the barn floors to even them up today but I was so stiff and sore from getting groceries yesterday that I couldn't force myself to go out there and start shoveling the crushed lime. I was doing good to get the poop scooping done. When the farrier shows up in the morning I'm using our all day rain as an excuse. LOL We'll just have to switch from our normal working area to the main part of the barn so no biggie.

Hiring an attorney to help us with mom's estate was money well spent. You won't be sorry. He also did the closing on mom's condo and did her year end taxes without additional charges so that helped with thinking it wasn't so expensive after all.

Since the last farrier visit my guy has become a new dad. He promised to bring me lots of baby pictures tomorrow. I just have to remember to take my glasses to the barn with me so that I can see them.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Day 3 of rain but I'm not complaining. Beats the heck out of the scorching heat we'd been having. Farrier day went well. Rain held off until he was done, horses were on their best behavior (even Little Miss), no one tried to poop on Nick's head, and the baby is adorable. She's got a lot of hair and the fattest little cheeks. I had to tell Cutter today that there was enough space in the barn that he could have his own and didn't need to occupy mine. He was shadowing every step I took. I think he thinks I'll forget to feed him if he doesn't keep reminding me he exists. LOL

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I confess I am behind again.. hopefully will have some time to catch up tomorrow!

Last Thursday, DH and I trekked south to Virginia for our first ride of the season!! The whole story is in my journal.

Friday, I rode Phin in the 55 miler:

On Saturday, I rode Lapco in the 30 miler:

921 - 940 of 1288 Posts