The Horse Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
@lb27312 : I hope the driveway reconfiguration happens soon, as backing the trailer all the way down the drive sounds complicated (though perhaps you are as good at backing as my DH, so would make it look easy). def don't want to keep damaging it!

@JCnGrace : those fleece-lined sweats sound amazing! I got a couple pairs of fleece lined leggings at Sam's this fall and they are my current favorite things for layering.

@PoptartShop : hope the mud wasn't too bad and you got some riding time this weekend.

I got some saddle time the end of last week. The whole story is in my journal.

Thursday, I started with Phin:

Then was Link:

And then was George:

🐎

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@PoptartShop , and then the following day Cutter was hanging on me because he missed his attention time. LOL

Hope the weatherman was wrong and you were able to get some ride time in this weekend.

@phantomhorse13 , LOL George is keeping an eye on his friend to make sure he doesn't eat the snowman's nose!

Another little bit of snow last night that mainly melted away today. I don't know how it melted because it was COLD out there. I'm glad I didn't use the shedding blade on any of the gang. Loose hair has to be better than no hair. Anyway, they don't seem to be feeling the cold.

I saw our neighborhood bald eagle again. It's huge, for a minute I thought it was the neighbor's dog out in the field. I only ever see a single one at a time so I hope it has a mate somewhere.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@phantomhorse13 the snow looks so pretty!! You guys definitely got a lot more!

@JCnGrace no ride time, it's just so muddy. :( Aww, bald eagles are cool!

I confess, I only did groundwork and liberty work this weekend but even that was tough because it was just so muddy. :( No riding until it dries up.
The snow turned to sleet & rain, so everything is a muddy mess. Hoping to ride tomorrow if it doesn't rain, but looks like it's gonna be another snowy week ahead.

I am going to FL Wednesday until early next week though, to visit my parents. They're not coming back home until April/May, so I figured I'd come down since it's just so snowy & cold here! LOL. I will be sure to tell Promise to behave herself though. :LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@blue eyed pony , it's all about the angle and terrain. Are all 4 horses turned out together now?

@PoptartShop , LUCKY YOU to get away from the cold for a few days! I keep trying to convince hubs he should go visit his son down there or his friend in Alabama and get out of this cold snap we're having but no luck with that. What do you do with your pig while you're gone? Can you give her enough food to last for a while or will a guinea pig wolf it down right away (I've never had a guinea pig so that's why I'm asking)?

Our temps are staying below freezing but yet we still have mud. I thought I'd be safe in wearing my tennies for chores but I thought wrong.

So our new wi-fi is not helping with forum glitches but it sure is nice for watching the videos you guys post. Plays right through with no fits and starts. Now hubs is driving me crazy researching streaming stuff for the TV to get away from satellite. He's like a dog with a bone when he starts in on something like that and trying to figure out what each company provides channel wise is not as easy as it should be. For instance the bull riding I watch is shown on the CBS sports network but even CBS all access does not show that it provides that channel. I keep telling him we are not going to save enough money to make up for the frustration he's going through trying to figure it all out. LOL

·
Registered
587 Posts
@PoptartShop - I agree with @JCnGrace on lucky you! I would like to get out of this cold for a little bit too.... it's just above freezing. For some reason and maybe it's because I'm not out as much as I should be, it just feels colder to me. Almost to the bones!

@phantomhorse13 - Great pics! Love the one with the snowman. I think I would be happier with snow than mud at this point.

@JCnGrace - Sorry the new internet is giving you fits! But nice you can see videos. Poor hubby there's tons of streaming companies now! Not so much when I made the change a long time ago from cable to air antenna/streaming.

I confess I haven't done anything horse wise! I did go check out Captain, I think he's muddier there than here! But he seems okay and getting along with the other horse they put him in with.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@JCnGrace so much mud here too! :( I'm glad the new WiFi is at least allowing you to see videos! & one of my good friends is watching the piggy! :D So she is in good hands.

@lb27312 It is super cold! Gonna feel weird wearing summer clothes LOL. & ugh, to the mud!

I confess, I would like to ride before I leave, but it's SO muddy. I may just hop on bareback & plod around for a few minutes later, at least it'll be something LOL. It rained a bit this morning, so the ground is a mess. :( Hopefully when I get back things will dry up, probably not though.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
@JCnGrace Poppy is out with Ikora and Cayde but Hippo is such a whale that she can't be out in the big paddock for more than a couple of hours at a time. So Cayde has two of his 3 girls and that seems to suit him well... but he's a bit of a rude baystard to the other horses. He's in charge and he's NOT nice about it. He gives exactly one warning with pinned ears and a sour face and then it's teeth and hooves and chasing. Good job the girls (other than Hippo) are soft and just get out the way.

I got a new job and just finished my first week, which is exciting :D I'm scheduled for 25ish hours a week over the next two weeks which is dead in the middle of what I said would be ideal for me if I could choose (20 to 30 hours a week at $20/hr is more than double what I was on before!). Ikora's soundness is still questionable. I've pretty much made the decision that I'm giving up on her as a competition horse and I'll just have her and enjoy her as she is. Maybe if I still have work by ~September and she's still questionably sound I'll put her in foal then for a partbred Akhal Teke. We'll see. There's a Teke stallion semi-local to me now and I'm a huge fan of him, he's a fantastic type of horse and would cross well over her. He's stronger in the hind end and has fantastic front legs with lovely short cannons and pasterns, and she's got a better shoulder and neck, so each is strong where the other is not... and AT x TB is a really consistent cross that gives you basically a more extreme TB type.

I built a desk on Monday, and I absolutely love it. It's laminated hardwood with steel legs and cost me under $140 before delivery. I would have loved to pick it up and save myself 40 bucks but I don't have a trailer big enough to transport a 7'3.5" long timber panel, so a $40 delivery fee was better than a several hundred dollar fine for transporting an insufficently secured load.
It turned out awesome though :D
It's big enough that I'm going to be able to have three 27" monitors - and there MIGHT be enough space with the addition of a monitor arm for my partner to squeeze a PC on it as well, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@lb27312 I'm sure going to check on Captain eased your mind some.

@PoptartShop I hope you don't have our weather system heading your way. We've had snow going on the third day now. At least we didn't get the ice that hit Kentucky. You picked a really good time to head south.

@blue eyed pony you do good work!

Last night as I was cooking supper it was just starting to get dark when I looked out to the pasture and saw Thunder grazing with a herd of deer and Frecks was guarding their round bale from them. LOL Then today I saw a hawk swoop down on some prey. I don't know if the hunt was successful because I couldn't find the tree it landed in.

In the last couple of days I've called the 3 sisters and still have the brother left to get ahold of. No particular reason other than it was my turn to call and it was way overdue. I'm horrible about picking up the phone and calling anyone.

I've been shoveling more snow than poop the last couple of days. It's always something. LOL

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
My light panels fell off the wall and broke my keyboard :(
It still WORKS, technically, but one of the key switches snapped off and the light control module must have been broken by the impact too because the lights have gone back to default rainbow. So I ordered a new keyboard and some custom keycaps for it but I'm a bit upset that these expensive wall panels don't actually STAY on the wall...

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
@JCnGrace : how cool to see the bald eagle - doing that always makes my day. I hope your DH can find a streaming service that makes him happy as there are lots of choices to agonize over. I am also bad about using the phone to call people. Hope you can get ahold of your brother so that comes off the to-do list.

@PoptartShop : I hope you are having a great time in Florida; great timing to avoid the ice storm!

@lb27312 : glad Captain is doing well. hope your mud goes away soon.

@blue eyed pony : congrats on the new job! may I ask what you are doing? Hopefully you are enjoying it. That new desk seems giant, but guess you need that for all the monitors. Sorry to hear about the keyboard and wall panel issues.. having things come crashing down is never good. Did you figure out the issue or have the wall panels become dresser top panels? I would love to see pics of the AT stallion if you decide to breed Ikora. They are a fairly rare breed over here but I got to saddle train one years ago and fell in love. You do see some doing endurance as they are so athletic; AT/Arab crosses are the rage with one of the big international riders in my region.

Over the last week, we have had a couple more PITA storms, but I have gotten some saddle time too. The whole story is in my journal.

Wednesday I finally got some saddle time. I started with Phin:

Then it was Link's turn:

Friday, I started with Link:

Then poor Phin had an adventure involving elk, a lot of turkeys, deer, and a million geese:

🐎

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@blue eyed pony , that bites. I hope you can figure out something that works to keep them on the wall.

@phantomhorse13 , Kestrel always has such a happy expression on her face. It makes me happy just looking at her. You have done a fantastic job with Link. Are those elk on a farm that raises them? I always enjoyed watching for wildlife while trail riding.

Today and tomorrow we were/are getting ready for the snow storm. Hopefully since we prepped for it there won't be one. Moved some extra hay and feed up for the minis. Hubs gave Thunder and Frecks a new round bale and will give Gamble's bunch another one tomorrow. Had to switch a water trough and heater out because it sprung a leak. Hubs went to town to fill the gas jugs so stopped at the store while he was there. They were out of all but loose potatoes and so he bought 4 (?). He probably paid more for 4 potatoes than what a 10 lb. bag of them costs. His sweet tooth must have been having a craving though because he came home with ice cream sandwiches, 3 different kinds of donuts, and a package of oreo cookies. LOL

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
@phantomhorse13 I'm a barista :) coffee is what I love and what I've been trying to do for ages now, and I'm so glad I've got another opportunity.

I had a minor disaster at work yesterday involving a keg of coffee beans exploding all over the floor... not what you want happening. If I'd been at home I honestly would have swept them up, saved them, and used them regardless (because a little bit of dirt won't hurt ME...) but in a commercial setting I have to think of my most vulnerable customers and floor dirt could make an immunocompromised person dangerously ill or even kill them. Don't want to do that, so I hold myself to the highest hygiene standards at work.
I offered to pay for the coffee beans I ruined, and the boss seemed to appreciate that, but wouldn't take my money because "accidents happen, and no one was hurt" - which is true in the grand scheme of things but I still feel bad because it was $90 worth of coffee and it's a small business.

The light panels have stayed on the wall pretty much ever since I put them back up, but I pressed them so hard against the wall that I genuinely thought I was going to break either THEM or the drywall :|

I measured my room today and I think I can fit a bigger bed in here - yes, even with this ginormous desk taking up space! Soooooooo I ordered one. It's going to make sitting at my desk feel a little tight but that's okay, if sitting in a chair is uncomfortable I can probably sit on my bed 😂

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
OH I COMPLETELY FORGOT

Here's a picture of the AT stallion I have in mind :) his name is Mansur and he was imported late last year from a stud in the Netherlands. He's tested EE aa nCr so basically the foal would be bay, black, smoky black like him, or buckskin - and with Ikora's bloodlines being full to the brim of bays and bay based greys, I'm fairly confident in saying I think it's highly likely she's AA, which would mean the two of them could ONLY have a bay or buckskin baby. I'd hope for buckskin, but I love my bays, so I'd be happy with either :)

And this is the best photo I've ever taken of Ikora!!

I feel like they compliment each other really well and I'm especially keen on his fantastic hind end and those LOVELY SHORT cannons!!! I've just thought through the colour genetics because I'd loveeeeee a buckskin. My other favourite stallion for Ikora is Kambarbay BUT the catch is he's a red carrier (Ee AA CrCr) and Ikora isn't tested, so if she's also a red carrier there's a 25% chance of palomino... which I don't want.

Edit: Tekes are an exceedingly rare breed here with ~10 purebred individuals last time I talked to a Teke person about the breed's population in Aus. Mansur is the only AT stallion residing in Australia at this time, according to his owner - but with the wonders of technology there are several international stallions available via AI, so I DO have other options. I just really, really like Mansur.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@JCnGrace I hope you don’t get a lot of snow! :( & the weather here so far has been amazing, but back home I heard we got some ice storms & snow. Ugh! But at least you’re prepared even if it does snow. LOL your hubby has to stock up on the sweets too!

@phantomhorse13 glad to see you’ve been able to ride despite the snow and storms! That picture of Kestrel is so cute! The snow does look pretty. I’m sure Phin was caught by surprise! That’s so cool though. And Link looks like he’s doing lovely! Oh yes, I’ve heard we got some snow but mostly ice, so it definitely doesn’t sound like I’m missing much! :(

I confess, I just wanted to check in! I fly home late tomorrow, but I’m having a really good time. The weather here has been super nice, hot & 78-83 degrees! Just been enjoying the pool, beach & relaxing. I also went deep sea fishing for the first time with my dad & I caught 1! It was just a
used for bait, but it was fun!

So far Promise has behaved herself LOL. BUT the weather has been terrible back home, not so much snow (although it’s been back and forth) but a lot of sleet, so much ice. :( Bleh!

Some pictures:

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@blue eyed pony, Drat the bad luck on spilling the coffee beans.

Another baby in our confession thread family! Do you think you'll breed her this year?

@PoptartShop , scoot over I'm coming to join you in Florida! LOL It all looks so nice and WARM! I'm not going to complain about the snow we got because at least we still have power which so many unfortunate people don't.

My minis are weird. They hate eating out of a hay net and it's not even a slow feeder type net. Yesterday I gave them 1 flake outside because I knew they'd eat that first and could get it done before the snow covered it up. Put a loose flake in Miss's stall which I figured they'd work on during the evening, then I stuffed 3 flakes in the hay net and hung that in Majik's stall. I don't think they took so much at a bite out of it. Guess they didn't get hungry enough.

Flash did not let snow on the ground hinder his afternoon nap. He was the only one zonked out on the hillside (their favorite napping place) today. He takes after his granny Frecks in his need for lots of sleep. They both will spend 2 or more hours stretched flat out at one time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
@PoptartShop - Nice pictures! Seems so warm looking!

@JCnGrace - that's funny on the minis! Wrangler feels the same way only his is a slow feed net. I don't usually use them but with the temps going so low over night I fill two up for them to munch on through the night. First night he untied it and flung it out of the stall in great contempt. It had to be bad as the stall walls are 8 feet high! lol Now I'm tying his better, Chal doesn't care.

I have been out to see Captain a few times, the other day he scared me as I got a text saying he hadn't eaten. They had put him in a stall due to bad weather, but he's been in the stall here with his brothers out and it never mattered. I flew out there with banamine only to see him munching on hay and feeling fine... whew! Went out again yesterday and then today got to go see him be ridden! He seems to be doing pretty good. Trainer said he sees no red flags. Can't wait to pick him up next week. He seems a little thin to me...

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@JCnGrace it was super warm! Ugh, I miss it already. But happy to be back home to my furbabies. LOL the minis are very particular I see! That's funny!! Flash must've enjoyed his nap!

@lb27312 aww I'm glad you got to see Captain & he's doing well despite that scare, whew. Glad he is feeling better. :D Good to hear!!

Saw Promise last night & she did the cutest thing, she saw me, tossed her head up out of excitement, came up to me & nudged me (nicely, lol). She's so darn cute. I missed her, but I'm glad she behaved LOL. She was such a lovebug last night. <3

Hoping to ride this weekend or next week, since it's supposed to be sunny & a bit warmer.

Snow day today...not much on the ground, but it's sleeting right now. :( Back to more ice!

The sunset was pretty last night, so I got this cool pic! Not the clearest, but it works lol.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@lb27312 , LOL on Wrangler hating hay nets too. Mine have ate some out of it by now but it's not empty yet.

Captain looks like he's getting along ok at the trainers. Shame on him for giving you a scare. Mine always lost weight while off for training too.

@PoptartShop , aaaw, Promise was letting you know how much she missed you. Seems weird seeing no snow where you are and we've got a bunch. Usually it's the opposite.

Speaking of scares...Frecks was snoozing when I walked out the back door to head to the barn. Fed the cats, topped off a water tank, called everyone in and she's still passed out. Thunder came in without her which was when I'm starting to think "OH CRAP!" Walk back around the side of the barn do my version of a whistle, which is pretty pitiful, hollered some more and not a twitch out of her. During all this hubs had gotten the tractor out and picked up a round bale which is stored right outside their pasture fence. She didn't budge at hearing the tractor either. Hubs hollers he thinks she's dead, I holler I'm going to check on her as soon as I get the rest of the herd settled in and eating. Get that done, walk out of the barn and through their dry lot gate and she's gone. Walk back in the barn and she's standing at her feeder waiting for her chow. WTH??? How in the world did she get by me without me either hearing or seeing her? Kind of an eerie feeling I tell ya, especially when you think she's dead. LOL Anyway, she ate, had a treat, went out and got a drink, headed towards the pasture, stopped and pooped, then proceeded to the round bale for dessert. She was absolutely fine.

1321 - 1340 of 1357 Posts