The Horse Forum banner

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@JCnGrace we got like 1-2in between yesterday & today, everything’s just icy now! Ugh. Omg, Frecks!!! Whew! Glad she’s okay, but that is crazy how she didn’t make a peep! LOL don’t they just love to keep us on our toes?! Sheesh!

I confess, it’s another snowy/icy day. Looks like the snow stopped but it’s gonna be so icy at the barn tonight, bleh! Last night I was putting hay out & the snow on the ground of course was hard, so almost twisted my ankle walking around lol.

Had to scrape off my car this morning & that was not fun! Happy Friday though! :)

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
@JCnGrace if I don't breed her this year I won't breed her ever because I don't want her foaling for the first time in her teens, the risks are just too high. Especially considering who we're talking about here. But breeding her is going to depend on my finances and how stable they are, and I don't want to make concrete plans this early into a new job. I don't want to be caught caring for three horses on unemployment - even with Rick's help paying for everything Cayde needs, three horses and a geriatric dog would be more than I could financially manage on that little money.

(She's turning 10 this year, if I put her in foal this September/October she'll be 11 when she foals. I don't want her to be any older than that for a first foal)

We'll see how we go, I'm trying to get her up to the lameness vet for a thorough eval but it takes a lot of organising and I want to actually BE there so it pretty much has to be on a Monday which makes getting in difficult haha

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Well bad news here at the home front. We are dealing with Winter Laminitis. When I was out of state getting my hip replaced my daughter called to say our horse Belle was sore and gimpy. Not hard to imagine as we have had a TON of snow this year and it is frozen into an iceberg. Belle was severely foundered before we brought her home so her soles are low and bruise easily. Bute and boots helped and extra bedding in her stall. Then the polar vortex. Not above zero for 2 weeks and wind chills well below zero. She is showing all of the signs of winter laminitis. We are still doing bute and boots but upon talking to a vet we need to warm her hooves and legs up and get that blood flowing again - Vet suggest blanketing her as well. Poor Belle - she is absolutely the sweetest horse and does not deserve what life has given her. So I ordered a couple of blankets from Chicks saddlery today and Belle gets to wear shipping boots for awhile to see if they help warm up those legs and get the blood flowing again.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@PoptartShop , at least Feb. is almost over!

@blue eyed pony , keep us posted on what you decide to do.

@carshon, I'm sorry Belle and you are going through that. You sprung a new one on me, I've never heard of Winter Laminitis, other than if they break into the feed room during the winter and it results in a case. Is it caused from her not moving around enough because of the bruised soles?

We're melting! LOL Got above freezing today and it sure was nice to hear everything dripping. Now we are getting rain so that should make more of it disappear. The patched replacement water trough didn't last long before it blew through the patch. It's leaking worse than the one I replaced. I told hubs he was going to town with me Tues. and we were buying a new one instead of trying to patch the dang things again. So I know I have 2 water troughs that need repurposed or taken to the dump, possibly 2 others. It always blows my mind when people say they've had their Rubbermaid tanks for umpteen years because mine always spring leaks in the exact same place. At least the newer ones are made with a different mold that eliminates the seam where mine start to leak. I do have one of those and it's still going strong after 3 years (or thereabouts). Knock on wood.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
@JCnGrace winter laminitis is not true laminitis. It is a serious constricting of the blood vessels in the feet - mostly due to an already compromised vascular system in the feet. Belle was chronically foundered before we brought her home. We knew that. She has not had any episodes in the 4 years we have owned her. We watch her closely. But the damage was already done. I had never really heard of it before either until a friend reached out to me on Friday night saying she thinks her gelding has it and asked what I thought. Belle has been extremely tender and has had the founder stance for over 2 weeks. Our temps never made it above freezing in that time. We bedded her stall really deep and put her boots on her and gave her Bute. I started to see some bruising on her soles and attributed it to sore soles. Belle is on a grain free diet and grass hay only so I knew it was not a feed issue. When doing research on what my friend said I realized Belle fit the description to a T and have been treating her as such. Basically - the vasodialaters in her feet don't work as well and in the cold when her body sends more heat to her core her feet get compromised - they are too cold. Leg wraps, lined hoof boots and blankets are used as treatment. Her core needs to be kept really warm so her body does not send blood from her feet to help her core. Our temps have turned around a little and supposed to get better - it was 15 degrees this morning and supposed to be near 40 tomorrow. I hope she feels better with the warmer temps. She is such a sweet horse and I hate to see her in pain.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@carshon I'm so sorry to hear that about Belle. I hope she feels better & things warm up soon. :( The extra blankets will help & you are doing all you can. <3

@JCnGrace that sucks about the water troughs! We got a new one in the summer, but the other one we have at the barn is a few years old. No cracks/leaks, yet anyway. LOL. Those things should last longer, you'd think anyway. Glad things are starting to melt over your way - here, we have snow again! :(

I confess, it's snowing again, today. Supposed to turn to rain within the next hour though, so that's good - however, everything's so icy! I haven't been able to ride because it's a bit icy & especially near the entrance to the barn, it's full of ice - not worth the risk of me slipping OR Promise. Luckily the pasture is fine, no ice but hard ground, so not fun!

It's supposed to go up to the 40's & 50's this week, so I'm excited for the snow to melt & to get back in the saddle! Even though it'll be a muddy mess...blah!

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Will do @JCnGrace :)

I got a new keyboard because my light panels broke my old one, and it arrived yesterday, and I love it. It's awesome. :)
I also got a new bed, tonight is my first night in it and I'm loving all the space I suddenly have (I went from a single to a queen and I'm presently only sharing with my dog, so it's HEAPS of bed for little old me) :D
It was super cheap, the frame was like $130 and the mattress was $300, but it's surprisingly awesome :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
@carshon - yikes on the winter laminitis, I hadn't heard of it either but probably doesn't get as cold here.... good vibes sent to Belle... and warmer weather for you.

@JCnGrace - glad you are thawing out! Bummer on the water troughs, I have a rubbermaid that's lasted for about 12 years without an issue, knock on wood.....

@PoptartShop - glad you are getting warmer weather! And hopefully you get some good saddle time.

@blue eyed pony - yay on the new bed! And new keyboard...

I confess I have nothing going on... I am hoping to go out to the trainer and ride Captain. I have friends telling me to leave him there for another month, not sure I want to. They say because I'm so muddy I won't get to ride him but I do go to the trainers some Fridays... I have to think about it. I miss him and I would feel better him being home.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@lb27312 that is a tough decision to make. I don't see anything wrong with you bringing him home, you'll know what to do, listen to your gut. :) I'm glad it's going well at the trainers, but I know he probably misses you like you miss him!

I confess, I told my barnmate to take Prom's blanket off this AM because it's gonna be warmer today! For once, LOL. Gotta enjoy it while we can.
Snow is still not melted, & things are icy, but soon it'll turn to mush/mud. Not looking forward to that, but that's winter!

I may plod along bareback later depending on if the ice has melted. I just wanna sit on her, I don't even care if we just walk! LOL.

I stayed up until midnight last night doing a puzzle. I couldn't stop! I was like, 'one more piece, then I'm going to bed' kinda like what happens when I watch Netflix...'one more episode'! It never works! :LOL:

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Got a bit behind again.. time to play catch up. Momma nature continues to be stuck in winter mode, but I am riding when I can. The whole story is in my journal.

Last Sunday, I started with Phin.

Then it was Link's turn.

miles, feet of climb, mph average pace, F real feel

I wasn't able to ride again until Friday. Then I started with Link.

miles, feet of climb, mph average pace, F real feel

Next was Phin.

🐎

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
@phantomhorse13 I love the pictures & video, bareback is always fun especially in the snow! :D My fav thing! You definitely got a LOT of snow there!

I confess, it was like 50 degrees yesterday, supposed to stay this warm for the next week or so, so I wanna enjoy it! :D I rode yesterday finally, although the footing sucked - so swampy & muddy, because of all the snow melting. But it was a nice ride!

Nice seeing her with her blanket off too - she's so fuzzy! <3 Leaving it off until further notice!

In this pic, you can see the moon, it was so cool!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@carshon, thank you for the info. It's always good to store these lessons in the back of my mind so that I can dust them off if the need arises. Keep us posted on how Belle is doing. Fingers crossed warmer weather will help with her circulation.

@PoptartShop , yay for finally getting to ride! Was Promise eager to get out and about?

Puzzles are addictive! I just finished one yesterday. It was of a bunch of different dogs.

@blue eyed pony , you went on a shopping spree! Glad you got your keyboard replaced. Twin to queen...don't get lost! LOL When I got my new mattress I downsized from a queen to a regular and I can definitely tell the difference. I can no longer lay crosswise on those restless nights where I just can't find a comfy spot.

@lb27312 , I vote bring him home. You ride enough you'll be able to keep him going. I always tried to keep to an every other day schedule when they got home from the trainers but if for some reason I had to stretch it out to 3 or 4 they were usually fine. Usually... I had one filly that couldn't go more than 3 days or she took a big step back and did best with an every day schedule. I considered her high maintenance. LOL She belongs to a lady in Texas now that just loves her.

The culprit.
232323232fp33__nu=3236_57__752_WSNRCG=3233883399447nu0mrj.jpg

@phantomhorse13, your snow looks about like what we had. I so admire your dedication in keeping your horses fit.

My town trip didn't end up happening until today because hubs decided he didn't want to wait around while I got groceries so he went and got the tank yesterday. I had to wait for him to get home so we could get it set up and by the time that was done I was out of the mood. LOL It was supposed to rain today so I stopped at the barn on my way to town to get that bunch taken care of so I didn't have to do it in the rain when I got home. I had to remind Gamble several times not to perform his cat act (rubbing on me as he walks by) because I had my going to town clothes on. I didn't get a mile down the road before rain drops started splattering on the windshield. Man, I was patting myself on the back for having such good timing. I think we got all of 10 drops. LOL Last 2 days have been warm, 50's yesterday and 60's today. It could stay like that year round and I'd be happy.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
@JCnGrace I'm working my butt off in my new job, I might as well enjoy the money I'm earning! Lol I also bought two new computer monitors to join my fancy MSI one (same specs, different brand) because they were on sale for nearly 25% off and I couldn't pass up the price. I was already kind of tentatively planning on buying two more monitors, so in the end I saved a fair bit of money by jumping on that sale. They should arrive tomorrow, so I assembled my triple monitor arm tonight so that after work tomorrow all I have to do is set up my new screens :D

I have a lot of cable managing to do!

My light panels are back up above my window because I got some better adhesive strips that should hopefully keep them up... it's a bit of a risk since if they fall down from that height they could break over $1500 worth of screens or my new $200 keyboard, but they look so much better up there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is it Friday yet?? All week I've been a day ahead... thinking yesterday was Thursday, Tuesday was Wednesday.... whew! lol

@blue eyed pony - I really hope those lights stay up! That's too scary for me... lol

@JCnGrace - lol on the town adventure! The culprit looks like a cutie!

@phantomhorse13 - great pics! The snow sure is pretty there. Looks like Link is coming along very nicely! Go you!

Ok I'm bringing him home! I went yesterday to see him worked and ride him only to notice he was off. The guy did hoof testers and found an abscess so no reason for him to hang there. I may take him again a little later in the year but I can get some rides on him here.... He did ride him over a wooden bridge(they have a trail course) and around and he seemed pretty chill. And my trailer comes home this weekend! Can't wait for that either! lol

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
@blue eyed pony , don't forget you've got to save for a breeding fee.

@lb27312 , I hate when that happens. Days get mixed up and then it seems to mess with everything. Hopefully once you get all your chicks in one nest (horse & trailer) it will straighten you back out.

Today hubs cut down a tree he was worried would fall on the fence. The top had already so all that was left was the trunk. It was solid and probably wouldn't have rotten enough to fall for another 50 years. He worries too much and thus creates more work for himself (thus me too) than needed. I was his safety person and I had to yell at him more than once. Of course he doesn't want to listen but I told him he recruited me for job so he better or I was quitting. LOL That was over him putting the dang chain around his neck to carry it up the ladder. I wasn't going to watch him hang himself!

We got our credit card hacked again. They tried to spend 30 some bucks at a Papa Johns in Long Island, NY. The credit card company said they also found our card number on the dark web. How does that happen? Thank goodness we put very tight controls on it after the first time it happened so any purchases out of state or out of the ordinary are flagged and the cc company calls us.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Two of three screens set up :) third isn't here yet, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't arrive on Monday.

Work is kicking my butt, no time or energy to do anything with the horses other than feed them and check them over, but that's okay. Ikora's not in work and Cayde's young enough that time off won't hurt him.

@lb27312 so far so good, I pulled one off on purpose to adjust its positioning but aside from that none of them have budged. I didn't actually have enough strips for all of them either so there are a couple up there that are only being held up by their connections to the other panels :| but knock on wood they seem to be doing alright. :)

@JCnGrace the breeding fee is only $1000 plus handling fee (which is usually around $250 tops), and I have plenty of time :) if I'm still in this job I should have the disposable income to just drop that kind of money when I feel like it, considering right now I'm flinging money around like it's going out of fashion

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts